Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 PM

23 posts, read 72,790 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to retire in NW Montana and have looked from Hwy 93 north from Missoula all the way up to Whitefish/Columbia Falls. The St. Ignatius area with the Mission Mountains are quite nice.
Any information on this area and what the winters are like would be most helpful. We are planning another trip out there soon. I am looking for suggestions of areas to do further research in .. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 AM

684 posts, read 1,151,409 times
Q.1: Where are you from, and are you used to cold weather?
Q.2: Do you you like LOTS of snow in the winter?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
That is an area with snow and gray gray winter days. It is gorgeous in the summer.
Living on a reservation (St Ignatius) without bring a tribal member is usually not a good idea; however, the Flathead rez is one I would make an exception for. The only big concern is if you have agricultural property all the irrigation water is part of a controversial water pact, which may mean water that was available in past may not be in future. I am not sure if a final deal has been made.

The Eureka area is much farther North but might be worth a look as retirement spot.

Last edited by historyfan; 06-30-2013 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-30-2013, 03:06 PM

We are from Massachusetts and yes we are very used to the cold and lots and lots and lots of snow.. we love winter.. I am very interested in the Rexford/ Eureka area as well. I'm trying to research medical care in this area. My husband had a heart stent put in last month and will be fine but I am going to be 60 and he is 62 and want to have a doctor near by and also what if an emergency situation how fast can you get to a hospital.. I know in the Mission Valley there are a few hospitals and not far from Missoula.. We are looking for acreage of 10+ but not planning on doing any farming but would want to have a garden and maybe some fruit trees.
What are the winters like up in the Eureka/Rexford area.. I have heard that the St. Ignatius area and also Eureka get very little snow.
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Hopefully someone who knows about Eureka will respond. I think the river along Thompson Falls is also nice.

Since Montana is mostly rural the major hospitals send out life flight helicopters. So even if there is only a small quick response unit or clinic out in the boonies, a helicopter will land on a flat spot and transport the patient. If you need to make frequent doctor visits, I would suggest moving no more than an hour from Great Falls, Missoula, Billings, or Bozeman.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:42 PM

Thank you! I read about that life flight helicopters.. Hopefully we wont need them but would like to hear more about Eureka and Rexford.. I will check out Thompson Falls here now.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
I would not live in St. Ignatius or anywhere on the Flathead Reservation. It is nice to look at but that's about it. I would also be cautious in general about moving to western Montana. This is not the friendliest of places for outsiders.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM

WyoEagle, Can you please give me some suggestions? We are open. We dont need jobs so we can go anywhere. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmtn View Post
WyoEagle, Can you please give me some suggestions? We are open. We dont need jobs so we can go anywhere. Thanks!
If you're going to Montana I would suggest places like Livingston, Three Forks, Manhatten, or Belgrade. These are close to Bozeman (which I would pass on) and that part of Montana is a bit more welcoming of outsiders as long as you're a down to earth person. You might also consider Dillon. It's a bit more isolated but it's nice. Laurel, which is close to Billings is nice, although there is a smell with the refinery and it's not as scenic.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 PM

What do you like to do for fun? What are your hobbies? Do you want to be involved in the community? Community player productions or musical jam sessions? Do you like farmers markets and art festivals? Community gardening? Religious affiliation important? Civic or fraternal membership? Are a walker? A bicyclist? Hiker? Wildlife your thing? Or do you have or want a bird dog for field trials? What about winter activities? Do you ski? Do you ride horses or Harleys? Do you want to sit on your front porch and welcome the neighbors over? Or do you want to be by yourself in quiet solitude?

So much of what makes the perfect retirement spot has to do with your interests. I believe there pretty spots in every region of the state. Take your time and travel around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana