Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post
I just read the question and immediatly clicked on "Post a Reply". I haven't read any of the other posts so forgive me if my answer is redundant to someone elses idea.

#1 Fix for Montana's problems:
Re-elect Schweitzer and Bohlinger. Nuff said.
You can't be serious.... Trying not to turn this into a political thread but exactly what have they done to merit re-election other than give out $500 to some people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You can't be serious.... Trying not to turn this into a political thread but exactly what have they done to merit re-election other than give out $500 to some people?
Not to mention he needs to re-do his TV commercial and tell the truth. Should go like this "We INHERITED (not created) the largest budget surplus the state has ever seen, and then spent every $$ of it."

Saying that they created that surplus is like saying Paris Hilton EARNED her money. Friggin' politicians!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanahogrider View Post
Tell us what you think the problems facing Montana are, and how you would solve them. Remember that any decision you make will affect Montanans for the good and bad.
I don't know,once the yuppies start coming its pretty much over for everybody but them.Kind of like a cancer IMHO.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
But by the same token, aren't those same people less of a drain on the area's limited resources?
No not really. Roads still have to be maintained which comes from gas tax, stores have to make enough to exist and in the case of Whitefish there's the sales tax that has to be generated by sales (not always to tourists) and the normal giving to charities,fund raisers etc that a local usually does just because they live here.
Also part time residents generally don't care as much about the area that they're not involved in on a day to day basis.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:28 PM

239 posts, read 687,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
I don't know,once the yuppies start coming its pretty much over for everybody but them.Kind of like a cancer IMHO.
I thought what was left of the"yuppies" were concentrated in Seattle with a few scattered around Portland and Spokane. I remember them to be harmless wannabees. I always thought yuppies were interesting as they always "put on the dog" as to have more than they really have. They lease a BMW that they could never afford to own and live in a condo that their parents made the down payment on. They eat at all the best restaurants, play on the most prestigious golf course, take all the most glamorous vacations and at the end of the day, have not saved a penny toward retirement. Whatever!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:53 PM

139 posts, read 472,795 times
Quote:
Jobs and increased wages. Wages which they want to increase even more. Their plans for energy in this state have created and are going to create a lot of high-paying jobs. Tax breaks...not just paybacks to property owners, but state income tax cuts. And, on top of all of that, a $400 million dollar budget surplus. That money can go to much needed infrastructure updating. Money money money. We all complain about the cost of living versus our wages, these two are working to close that gap.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 PM

102 posts, read 271,915 times
Wouldn't a discussion about fixing problems begin with an agreement on the problem(s)? The solutions beg to resolve problems that to other people are either non-problems or even strengths. For exaple high paying jobs implies high paying, high value added employers, you know, outsiders. But in the same breath, or post, outsiders, i.e., people who might bring high paying jobs are despised.

A few years ago a client of mine wanted to build a new plant with extremely high paying, and high skilled jobs (Swiss CNC operators for example) but the business and tax climate was so adverse the company would not even consider Montana (as I suggested) instead settling in a different Rocky Mtn. state.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
That's for sure, and it's the same everywhere. Once an area gets yuppie-ized, its original character is gone forever, and it fills up with clone-people and yammies (Yet Another Mallies)

Don't build malls, that's the solution! Cuz if you build it, they will come!!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post
Jobs and increased wages. Wages which they want to increase even more. Their plans for energy in this state have created and are going to create a lot of high-paying jobs. Tax breaks...not just paybacks to property owners, but state income tax cuts. And, on top of all of that, a $400 million dollar budget surplus. That money can go to much needed infrastructure updating. Money money money. We all complain about the cost of living versus our wages, these two are working to close that gap.
Not to aggrivate you (too much) but I guess it says something when the top radio talk show hosts in San Franfreeko were just cooing yesterday about how they love the Gov of Montana. My brother called and said they couldn't say enough good things about him.
I don't know that I'd want that reccomendation...

Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,698 times
Quote:
Not to aggrivate you (too much) but I guess it says something when the top radio talk show hosts in San Franfreeko were just cooing yesterday about how they love the Gov of Montana. My brother called and said they couldn't say enough good things about him.
I don't know that I'd want that reccomendation...
Say it ain't so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana