Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 09:39 AM

954 posts, read 1,556,745 times

Advertisements

I'm pleased to say I'm making my plans for another visit to the great state of Montana in September to enjoy the beautiful Fall scenery and attempt to catch a few trout while I'm visiting the state. You folks are great hosts and I always behave while I'm visiting, plus I'll be leaving a fair chunk of greenbacks in Montana during my visit, so hopefully you won't mind me being there for awhile.
I know in the last couple years there's been quite a bit of effort by property owners to limit river/creek access that run thru their private property. What kind of changes if any have lawmakers in Montana made in this area in the last 12 months or so ? Specifically it's my understanding that a stream that passes thru a public road, the fishermen can work that stream bank after entering from the road into a private parcel of land if he stays on the bank(s). Is that still the Montana law ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,020,098 times
Here is a link to regulations on the Montana state Fish, Wildlife & Parks web site.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: 2012 Fishing Regulations

Hope that helps.

H.I.
Bozeman

Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM

5,400 posts, read 6,597,235 times
Actually stream access law says within high water marks...not floodplain..so standing/boating in water or standing on gravel bars at about same elevation as water is legal. It is not likely you would be within the highwater mark standing on the bank.
The law is easier to visualize on rivers or big streams. Small streams you can wade in from road, fish standing in the water, and wade back out. You can not go have a picnic on the bank or down in the rancher's field. You can not use tge water as way in to go hiking etc.
The brochure printed by Montana wildlife and parks has drawings that make it easier to understand. There are lots of trout to catch in Montana. Be certain to read regs for each body of water because some are catch and release.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 AM

Sorry, didn't thank you guys for the info about fishing in Montana. I appreciate it !
I'll be out there next month, gettin excited ! I hope you get some relief on the drought out that way,
I hear and read it's pretty bad this summer ?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,959,756 times
They apply some extra fishing restrictions on some streams when the water temps gets high so it's a good idea to check with the authorities when you get here. It may not be too hot when you get here though. I think they have extra restrictions in place now on some streams due to the hot days we've been getting..

Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Anything new come out of Helena or from the state Courts about changes on Montana Stream access law in the last 9-10 months ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana