Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sadly, someone told me they let out their dog, a cocker spaniel, and the dog was just out the door, when it was snatched up that fast by a wolf! Which means the wolf had been probably watching the home, waiting for the "prey". That is pretty scary. Could wolves be a danger to children?
Yes, but the chance is extremely low. You are more likely to be killed by a horse or a dog than a wolf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 PM

203 posts, read 496,952 times
Pretty cool comparison, here is one from Norse Legend:

Fenrir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
The Italians also have legends of nice wolves.
Romulus and Remus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The English author Rudyard Kipling also had warm feelings for them
The Jungle Book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legends and stories are nice, realities are usually far different.
Texas Cryptid Hunter: Wolf Attacks on Humans on the Increase

Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM

443 posts, read 806,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The Italians also have legends of nice wolves.
Romulus and Remus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The English author Rudyard Kipling also had warm feelings for them
The Jungle Book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legends and stories are nice, realities are usually far different.
Texas Cryptid Hunter: Wolf Attacks on Humans on the Increase
It seems the wolves prefer white meat over dark.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Or perhaps it is because the majority of wolves live in areas that are predominately Caucasian, and they have through long exposure to wolves have developed a real feel for what the animal is and simply aknowledge that behavior.

All blood is red.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Or perhaps it is because the majority of wolves live in areas that are predominately Caucasian, and they have through long exposure to wolves have developed a real feel for what the animal is and simply aknowledge that behavior.

All blood is red.
Or is it because European thought and tradition focuses on conquest and dominion over the natural world?
I would argue that the majority of the current global wolf population inhabits areas where there are relatively few caucasians.
Perhaps the wolves, like modern humans, developed a kind of brand loyalty that is reinforced by packaging.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:51 AM

This issue clearly is a serious one as I have experienced in another thread. Emotionally charged for sure.

But I have to say understanding stories of the past, knowing they were to inform in an elborate manner, dangers for children. They certianly provide an insite to the thought process of people regarding the subject. e.g. wolves

How one perceives the animal will results in how one wishes to approach, or not approach the situation.

I am seeing a striking difference here in perception. More than I would have ever thought. Thanks for sharing these thoughts. It really helps someone like me understand cultural idea within the state of Montana.

btw, if I see a wolf, I plan avoiding contact. If possible, viewing from a distance would be best. No matter the color of my skin or blood, wild animals are indeed to be respected, and always assume there is danger.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Or is it because European thought and tradition focuses on conquest and dominion over the natural world?
I would argue that the majority of the current global wolf population inhabits areas where there are relatively few caucasians.
Perhaps the wolves, like modern humans, developed a kind of brand loyalty that is reinforced by packaging.

All human behavior manipulates and dominates the natural world, (including American Indians), from building pyramids in Mexico to the mounds of the Ohio to driving whole herds of buffalo off cliffs or burning the prairie to get grass to green in the fall to call in game and inadvertently deforesting what is now called the Great Plains.

The 2 largest concentrations of wolves in the world currently are Canada/Alaska and Russia, and the last time I checked, there were lots and lots of Caucasians there where there are any people at all.

Most of European folklore did come from a conditioned response where the wolves were given opportunities from wars and disease where lots of human bodies were exposed for scavanging, who then identified humans as a food source, but that was a long time ago. Modern wolves simply will kill because that is what they do. They are a preditor and their means of survival is killing. Nothing fancy or romantic about that, it is just a fact of life. They can't graze on flowers or sip nectar and survive.

I have had this argument a few times with Gladstone so I am well aware of the mystical properties given to wolves in Indian folklore, but while part of my family may buy that, the other side sees wolves as preditors and a threat to their livestock, livelyhood, the wildlife and even to humans.

Gfunkerror is very correct that this is a contentious issue here, and there will never be a complete meeting of the minds on this controversy.
The best we can hope for is controlling the wolf population where they can be here without destroying everything. We don't need complete extermination, but we do need control or extermination becomes the alternative by default.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Wolves and Indians have a lot in common. Trying to exterminate us or set aside certain areas for us to live in doesn't work. We just keep being what we are despite how we're defined. We are difficult to manage. Our populations are currently undergoing rapid growth throughout our traditional range. It bothers a lot of people, but I am happy that we are beginning to thrive again.
When I see people of European descent wearing shirts with images of wolves and decorating their homes with dream catchers, I understand the frustration you must feel. Those people are making new fairy tales. I also see some propensity toward the fantastic amongst your highly educated/trained policy makers and scientists.
Meanwhile, while you folks try to figure out things between yourselves, we're going to keep eating, mating, and reproducing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans -definite taste preference for Europeans and Aryans of the Indian Subcontinent

Last edited by ursa22; 03-23-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Wolves and Indians have a lot in common. Trying to exterminate us or set aside certain areas for us to live in doesn't work. We just keep being what we are despite how we're defined. We are difficult to manage. Our populations are currently undergoing rapid growth throughout our traditional range. It bothers a lot of people, but I am happy that we are beginning to thrive again.
When I see people of European descent wearing shirts with images of wolves and decorating their homes with dream catchers, I understand the frustration you must feel. Those people are making new fairy tales. I also see some propensity toward the fantastic amongst your highly educated/trained policy makers and scientists.
Meanwhile, while you folks try to figure out things between yourselves, we're going to keep eating, mating, and reproducing.
Wolf attacks on humans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -definite taste preference for Europeans and Aryans of the Indian Subcontinent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana