Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 AM

216 posts, read 641,334 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the same situation. We own a house still in Ohio that we couldn't sell and his transfer came up to move to Montana that we waited years for so we hired a leasing company to rent it for us.

I'm getting VERY sick and tired of the entitlement mentality in this country. Just because we are renting our house certainly does not make us rich in any sense. We actually were taking a loss when we first started, now we are barely making a profit, less than a thousand a year. That profit will be totally gone if anything goes wrong, though.

People have no respect for anyone anymore, it seems. Occupy Wall Street trying to take money from rich people who EARNED it is disgusting! I'm not rich, I'm almost poor, but I'm not greedy or jealous of those who are! It's theirs and we have NO RIGHT to take it. Sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Respect is a two way street. Hopefully the new couple that moved in will be different.

I'm not renting my property to make money, I'm renting it so that I can keep paying the mortgage and hopefully sell it in a couple years, so in turn I can use the equity I've been building for the last 12 years to buy a place in our new location.

If you even read my previous post, how would you feel if that's how someone treated your house? Sorry if I don't want my porch to become an ashtray, or people burning their garbage in order to not pay for garbage collection. I even offered to pay the garbage, but would have had to raise the rent to compensate for it.

There seems to be an illusion that if you have a rental property, that you are some kind of rich, greedy, scum sucking slumlord that thrives on evicting people on Christmas eve or something... Not the case here, heck I even gave them half off their December rent for Christmas last year, and let them out of the lease early in order to help with their new baby and job transfer... But I guess I'm still the bad guy right??

It sure would be nice to have tenants that paid on time, and took pride in the condition of their home.

If you feel that it's your right to damage someone's property than you are one of the renters that landlords have no patience for, and rightfully so.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
I'm getting VERY sick and tired of the entitlement mentality in this country. Just because we are renting our house certainly does not make us rich in any sense. We actually were taking a loss when we first started, now we are barely making a profit, less than a thousand a year. That profit will be totally gone if anything goes wrong, though.
On that note, a couple of columns by really insightful people:
Thomas Sowell
Thomas Sowell
Larry Elder

Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM

183 posts, read 278,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGardynGirl View Post
I am at the end of my rope! I need some answers and fast. We've been trying to find a place to rent for the last two weeks. My husband has been dealing with the work comp people for nearly two years, and hasn't worked since last July. I have a good job, full time, I just can't afford the place we're in anymore on my income alone, plus the 45 mile commute each way, every day.
I've been all over craigslist, most of the posts don't have basic info, like price or pet policy, no one ever responds to emails for more info, or they don't answer their phones or return calls.
We paid $30 each at Rainbow Property Management to apply. They told me that I had enough "points" to move into a 3 bedroom apt all utilities paid, but my husband couldn't live with me because of his "points." They told me what our combined points would get us. We drove around town. Every new dump was worse than the last! I don't think we should has to live next door to a meth lab. To get something for $50 more a month I have to come up with $300 more in a deposit. That's an $800 deposit for a $500 a month apartment. Even better, our applications expire on the 14th of November, so if we don't find something by then, we have to pay another $60.
We had a house ready to move into in Worden, I went out to give the guy our deposit and in the course of our conversation it came up that we smoke. We have never smoked INSIDE, but he freaked out. He demanded another $200 in deposit and said he would have to be able to come by anytime to check up on us. I said fine. I have nothing to hide and I'm not a liar. He never asked, we didn't think it was a big deal so we didn't say anything. He called that night at 9pm and told me he wouldn't rent to us. This was after we had rented a storage unit AND started taking carloads to it, and extra 40 miles every day for me. This was a week after he met both of us.
So, there you have it. We are a mature couple with long rental history, 4 years in each of our last places. We smoke. Outside. We have a14 year old spayed cat who spends most of her time passed out on MY furniture.
So are we ax murderers or what?
If anyone knows of an old fashioned, look you in the eye and shake your hand kind of landlord I'd love to meet them. Any rentals agencies that aren't just out to punish poor people?
Do we just give up and live in our car?

I read just about all the comments on this thread.Most are true on both sides of the equation, renter/landlord. But here is the bottom line: choices/priorities.So what is yours? You actually hold your destiny in your own hands.You have already defined the problems.So who may need to change? Just saying,not hating.

Life IS what you make it 99% of the time.The other 1% you usually cannot do anything anyway.So again....who holds the key here?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I did read your post about the tenants and I know there are some bad apples. The point is, don't consider someone guilty until proven innocent. I know there are plenty of landlords who are not low-life slumlords. Right now I am renting from a wonderful couple who are doing it to supplement their retirement income. I don't smoke, so that is not an issue. I don't have a problem with people who don't allow smoking or pets on their properties. I just have a problem with landlords who act like they really do lord over their tenants. All a tenant's responsibility entails is not trashing the place and paying the rent. They are under no obligation otherwise.
My idea of a good renter is just like my idea of a good boss. One that I don't have to worry about! No news is good news, and as long as we are keeping up on our obligations everything is good.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
WyoEagle All a tenant's responsibility entails is not trashing the place and paying the rent. They are under no obligation otherwise.
Wrong. The tenant is obligated to follow the rules of the owner or manager, for all rentals.

If the owner/manager has a rule there is no smoking. Then if you rent the property you are obligated to not smoke.

If the owner/manager has a rule against animals, the the tenant is obligated to not have animals.

If it is a multiple unit rental (apartments, etc.) then the tenant has an obligation to not make noise that bothers other tenants peace and quiet, and not to make life in the unit unpleasant for other tenants. Obligation to keep children under reasonable control.

This list can go on and on. The tenant is a guest in someone's property even though they pay for the privilege of living there, and are obligated to play by the rules set up by the landlord.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,962 times
Don't loose hope. My family rents a two bedroom w/ huge yard, in good neighborhood, hubby is allowed to smoke outside & we have a big dog. $550 a month. It's tough being a renter, but good LL's are out there. Don't lie, don't leave info out. Be upfront & honest, be respectful, make sure you show potential LL's that you understand that the rental is their investment. Don't go in with an attitude of entitlement. I would suggest typing up a detailed "renter's resume". Include all info about past rentals, your lifestyle, jobs, all info about your cat including vet history/proof of vaccinations, list what efforts you will make to maintain the property throughout the rental period and what you will do to clean up when you're ready to move. Take charge and show the LL how serious you are about caring for his investment, rather than simply waiting for the "rules" to be read out to you. Show the LL you can see things from his point of view from the get go. Good luck, you WILL find something, but it may take time.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
I would suggest typing up a detailed "renter's resume". Include all info about past rentals, your lifestyle, jobs, all info about your cat including vet history/proof of vaccinations, list what efforts you will make to maintain the property throughout the rental period and what you will do to clean up when you're ready to move. Take charge and show the LL how serious you are about caring for his investment, rather than simply waiting for the "rules" to be read out to you. Show the LL you can see things from his point of view from the get go. Good luck, you WILL find something, but it may take time.
That sounds like an excellent idea!!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
The big test that most landlords use, is to contact the potential tenants previous landlord and ask them one question:

"Would you like to have this person/family back as tenants, and would you rent to them again".

If the old landlord does not want them back, then why would a new landlord want to rent to them? It is an obvious sign, they are not a good tenant.

If the old landlord is enthusiastic about the potential tenant, then that is a good sign the tenant will be a good tenant for the new landlord, and they will get the rental.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
This thread has played itself out. OP posted twice, last time in October, and hasn't come back.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana