Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,056 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering retiring to Helena or thereabouts. One of our daughters just moved to East Helena and absolutely loves it, says it would suit us well. My brother, who visited Billings a decade ago and never left, is also high on the Helena area.

We're planning a week-long no-family trip to Helena soon, but is that enough time to get a real sense of the town, the community, the landscape? Any thoughts about how long it takes to get a sense of place about Helena or any area in Montana? And any recommendations on what to be sure to do (and what to avoid) in Helena on our visit?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 03:36 PM

75 posts, read 521,663 times
You should really enjoy Helena. It of course is the capitol of Montana. If you enjoy history, make sure you visit "Last Chance Gulch" where gold was found and the city of Helena was started. Stop in at the Chamber of Commerce, they always have lots to offer the visitor.

Have Fun.

Rick

Ps, I plan to retire to 20 acres I own outside of Whitehall, Montana which is about
90 miles South of Helena.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:12 PM

78 posts, read 743,873 times
Default Year to really get a sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMuldoon View Post
My wife and I are considering retiring to Helena or thereabouts. One of our daughters just moved to East Helena and absolutely loves it, says it would suit us well. My brother, who visited Billings a decade ago and never left, is also high on the Helena area.

We're planning a week-long no-family trip to Helena soon, but is that enough time to get a real sense of the town, the community, the landscape? Any thoughts about how long it takes to get a sense of place about Helena or any area in Montana? And any recommendations on what to be sure to do (and what to avoid) in Helena on our visit?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
I thought I replied to this a few days ago, but I don't see my reply anywhere. In truth, it'll take a year to really get a sense, as each season is very different in Montana--different weather (obviously), different activities, different things to worry about (fires, storms, ice...), and so on. But that's pretty much true in any place with four distinct seasons.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 24,127 times
Default Visiting

I would definitely recommend visiting during the summer and winter... they are somewhat different sides of how great montana can be.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:12 AM

989 posts, read 3,525,276 times
How did your visit go?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 PM

189 posts, read 799,404 times
The summers here are the reward for the long winter. The winters actually aren't as bad as the rest of the country thinks...but don't tell anyone.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,931 times
Default Winters getting milder

They seem less cold and less snowy than when I first moved here in 1993.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzycake View Post
They seem less cold and less snowy than when I first moved here in 1993.
Al Gore will tell you why! LMAO

Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,468 times
Well it's all relative... compared to North Dakota the winters aren't so bad. But compared to pretty much anywhere else in the Continental US, they're pretty cold. When I first moved to Montana from New York in 2000 I froze my buns off.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM

I'll take the occassional -30 cold snap we get over the freezing rain and humidity that most of the midwest, east and south gets in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana