Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM

10 posts, read 28,828 times

Advertisements

Hello, i am looking for a place that is very rural , I live in upstate New York which some people consider rural but its not quite enough for me. i want lots of dirt roads and a small town. I want to find a place that is as close to going back in time as i can get. I would like to have a self suffieciet farm. I was just wondering if montana would have what i was looking for,i figured that itd have to be different than New york. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM

54 posts, read 121,391 times
You have tons of information at hand via the internet, and the wonderful people of this forum, from what I have witnessed will answer about anything you ask.... I have found several off grid locations on the net, all I put in was montana off grid properties....bunches of stuff pops up...

Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,857 times
I'm sure there are many more than I know of, but two secluded areas near where I spend my summers are Yaak and Polebridge.

Yaak - I believe there is power to the 'town' but getting off the grid would be easy.

Polebridge - Off the grid, just generators but fairly busy in the summers as it's just off the border of Glacier National Park. It doesn't get a million visitors or anything (long, dusty dirt road to get there), but it wouldn't feel isolated in the summers.

I think the first thing to decide would be whether you want to be on the plains side or in the mountains/forests. Heck with Google Maps you might just start scanning over different areas and finding little towns to do some further research on.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 PM

thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellhouse View Post
Hello, i am looking for a place that is very rural , I live in upstate New York which some people consider rural but its not quite enough for me. i want lots of dirt roads and a small town. I want to find a place that is as close to going back in time as i can get. I would like to have a self suffieciet farm. I was just wondering if montana would have what i was looking for,i figured that itd have to be different than New york. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Ingomar, Montana: Population (current estimate: 12.........................)
No paved streets or roads..........
As you drive to it from Hwy 12, you'll think you've been moved back in time to the 1930's.

The one restaurant and bar (The Jersey Lilly) may or may not be open. Great place and if you ride (horse back) into town, you just tie your horse off right in front of the entrance.

Check it out....if it's not to your likeing..............try Sumatra, MT.............just down the road a piece.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 AM

it sounds like its definatly worth checking out. thanks.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:33 AM

189 posts, read 335,743 times
Just a heads up, though you are probably aware of this...

Living "simple" is NOT as simple as most folks suppose. The growing season in MT is VERY short. True "self-sufficiency" will be challenging indeed.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,059 times
Property taxes, AKA the governments way of making sure that you either have an income, or totally depend on some kind of service. (welfare s.s. etc..)

To be truly self sufficient, you need to have some kind of income, as well as the physical and mental ability to work your land.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:47 PM

451 posts, read 999,496 times
Loma is still under 100 population and has unpaved streets.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 AM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Montana is a very secluded state, and I said while I lived there, it's a good place to be if:

#1 - You want to get away from "it all" and like seclusion
#2- You like a long winter
#3 - You have plenty of money already and don't need a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: