Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
There are several legacy or pioneer cemeteries in Park county. Some still in use, some not. Old Chico is one of the best hidden. Doesn't show up on most maps, not a lot know it's even there. Dates back to when the towns of Chico and Emmigrant were gold camps.

Used to be a mine up the gulch from Old Chico that blew full of ice and snow that never melted. My aunt took me to see it once in the early 70s, but a landslide had covered the entrance. You could still feel the cold coming up through the rocks.

As an aside, Chico Hot Springs resort used to be a hospital. The thermal springs were thought to have curative properties and folks came from all over to soak in the natural hot water.

Doc Townsend was the physician there for many many years. He delivered most of the old timers I grew up around.

Talk about ancient history!!!
Well, look what I found!
Park Co* MT-Tombstone Transcription Project
[Geez, I thought I was the last person on Earth still using decorative table borders.]

No one related to me that I know of, tho.

And some pics of Old Chico itself:
History of Old Chico | Montana Homestead Cabins

I don't know Doc Townsend?

I've heard we have some natural ice caves along the southern mountains... guess now we have a manmade one too. That'll confuse future geologists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Just did a little research. I didn't know it was the oldest cemetery in Park County!

https://www.livingstonenterprise.com...ico-cemetery-1

I have some relations in there so that's why I knew about it. I'm glad to see there's someone taking care of it again.
Huh. Very interesting. Yeah, happy to see it'll get some proper upkeep. Keep them old bones smilin'. You wouldn't want 'em to get uppity and start hauntin' folks that don't show no respect.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:32 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Very cool! I'm related by marriage to the Bottlers and Weavers pictured in the 1904 photo. I've known Harold Marchington all my life, his daughter and I were in 4H together. I was surprised to see Herb, Harry and Lillian in that picture as well. If I remember right Herb was Harold's father, but don't quote me as that was long before my time.

Lots of familiar family names in Chico cemetery besides the ones I'm related to.

One of those families came from Virginia, and yes they did run 'shine. For a lot of years they basically controlled the market in the Valley. Wild bunch from the stories I've heard. Yes the family is still there, so I'm not mentioning names to protect the guilty.

Doris Whithorn was THE historian for the Paradise Valley. My Uncle used to say she was the most dangerous woman in the valley because she knew where all the bodies were buried.

She ran a small store on the bank of the Yellowstone called the Wan-I-Gan for at least 50 years. She passed away just a few years ago and took a lot of historical knowledge with her.

I noticed a reference to Jardine in your first article. My mother was born there. My grandfather was the assayer at the mine there before WW2.

Bringing back a lot of memories here.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 05-24-2020 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 12:21 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Wait, does that mean we're officially Old Timers?

"Smile when you call me that!" I know where that quote is from--book, Coop movie, and TV series. I guess that makes me an old timer, too.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
"Smile when you call me that!" I know where that quote is from--book, Coop movie, and TV series. I guess that makes me an old timer, too.
Even older... and the play!

https://www.cowboypoetry.com/wister.htm

Take a gander at this! 1914 silent film version:

https://archive.org/details/TheVirginian

And then I tripped over this:
https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/taro/t...tsl-90020.html

Last edited by Reziac; 05-25-2020 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: One rabbithole leads to another...

Old 05-26-2020, 12:30 AM

Supposed to be 96 by the end of the week.

<thinking>

Is it safe to plant the tomatoes yet??

Old 05-27-2020, 06:18 PM

So I got brave and planted the tomatoes. Hopefully I didn't make it snow!!

Rhubarb is already getting out of hand .... rhubarb sauce is a good substitute for applesauce with roast pork.

And now, off to mow the lawn again.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:50 AM

Garden is going like crazy... corn is 8 feet tall! and the tomatoes might catch up. Now if only I could find a head lettuce that won't bolt.

===

The title is wrong. It should be, "Let's you and him fight, so we magpies can eat."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAnN_e4Lg0o

Old 09-01-2020, 10:14 PM

So what the heck is this square thing in the middle of nowhere??

https://goo.gl/maps/pHnVYyXLif62iEV27

Old 09-01-2020, 11:43 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
So what the heck is this square thing in the middle of nowhere??

https://goo.gl/maps/pHnVYyXLif62iEV27

A very dry place, I reckon... At least it's fenced off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana