Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 AM

86 posts, read 244,307 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We would like to come down for a long weekend in October for the Shrimp Festival. We want to rent a 2 bdr condo that is beachfront and close to the Festival.

Can someone tell me exactly where (between what streets) the festival is held? I started looking at several VRBO's, but became overwhelmed as I can't tell where the festival is, and hence, what condo to choose. We want to be within walking distance of the festival and also walking distance of nice restaurants and bars/nightclubs as well.

Any suggestions on what condo complexes fit that description?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
The Shrimpfest is held at the Public Beach area at Gulf Shores Parkway (59) and Beach Blvd (182).

Welcome to the 2008 National Shrimp Festival

Condos within about 1/2 mile of the Festival include: West Beach = Island Tower, Tropic Isles, Island Winds West, East Beach = San Carlos, Seawind, Island Shores / Sunrise, Lighthouse. Beach Blvd addresses radiate from the intersection of 59 / 182 (i.e., Island Tower is 521 West Beach, Lighthouse is 455 East Beach).

I would expect to drive to restaurants. I like LuLu's (Jimmy Buffet's sister) on 59 at the Intracoastal, Tacky Jack's in Orange Beach and Tacky Jack's 2 in Fort Morgan (less crowded). If you get time, a trip to Fort Morgan (~15 miles West on 180) is scenic and historically informative, plus Bon Secour Wildlife Refuge is out that way if you're a bird watcher / nature lover.

Personally, I recommend Meyer Real Estate for rentals; note that their website can give you info about condos / amenities (which you can use to go VRBO if you want).

Gulf Shores Alabama Vacation Rentals - Orange Beach Condos and Beach Houses

Old 09-04-2008, 12:01 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Lucky you! Unfortunately, Shrimp Festival is the same time as football season!

A few years ago, we had a lovely stay at Crystal Shores, which is about .25 of a mile west of the dead-end. There are a bunch of high-rise condos right there in that area. Most are new or almost new, but there are still a few golden oldies (with no elevator!). If you call any of the realty companies - Kaiser, Meyer, Young's, or Brett-Robinson, or Anchor, or many others - I'm sure they will be happy to help. There may be a map or something on their Web sites that maps out all the condos.

Stick with Gulf Shores - Orange Beach and Fort Morgan are too far to be walking distance. www.gulfshores.com is the Chamber of Commerce Web site and it includes a huge list of booking outfits. You might also check the For Rent By Owner sites, too.

Have a wonderful time!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks so much to both of you! I now have a better direction to take and can narrow the focus of my search. I will have fun looking at all of our options over the next few days!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 PM

And that is nothing compared to the fun you'll have while you're there.

BTW, note that the water may be chilly (at least for us).

Any more questions? Feel free to ask. The Alabama coast is just about my favorite place in the world...

Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 AM

39 posts, read 111,402 times
Well, I'm not the OP, but I'll ask (sorry to hijack)...we have almost the opposite prob. My fam & friends - incl. 2 toddlers & a 6yo-have booked a condo in Orange Beach for the same dates as the festival (arrive Wed, leave Sun). We're a little concerned about the crowds. We are looking for more of a -chill on the beach, swim, eat, nap, repeat- kind of a deal. We're hoping the beach is pretty empty and it isn't too tough to get around when we want to go out to dinner or whatever. We're staying at White Caps, which I believe is across from Waffle House near Bruno's. Any predictions? Recommendations for good restaurants that won't be festival-mobbed? Of course, if we're there during school fall break, there's a good chance that will increase crowd level everywhere, too. Hmmm...
thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 05:24 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Hey Maddie, since nobody's answered your query, I'll venture there. I don't think you'll have a huge problem at Orange Beach. There is a street or two blocked off in Gulf Shores, and there may be bigger than normal (for October) crowds at the restaurants, but if you're toting little 'uns you may want to go out a bit earlier anyway.
Even during the highest part of the season, the beaches aren't crowded. Surf's a little bit too cool for me in October, but the beaches are fantastic!
Wish I could go!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 PM

I hope both simple girl and madisonmama give us a trip report.

'White Caps' looks pretty nice, I've stayed next door at 'Bluewater' before. My guess is that restaurants will be crowded (Southlander is right about off-times). My guess is that the beach will be somewhat crowded (maybe everyone will be at the ShrimpFest). Again, Tacky Jack's at Fort Morgan would be a good bet for a restaurant that may not be crowded.

BTW, I don't like to walk too much down there (inconsistent sidewalks, buzzed / distracted drivers, traffic, bad crossings). As long as you don't have to cross the highway, it's not too bad.

Looks like a good time:

Quote:
This year, however, things got off to a busy start, with large crowds along the public beach boardwalk for the first day of the 37th annual event.

The turnout is good news for the local economy after a Labor Day weekend interrupted by the threat of Hurricane Gustav, said Ron Kutter, the festival's chairman...

About 300,000 people are expected to visit the beach side event at the foot of Alabama 59, Kutter said.
Opening day no longer quiet at National Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores - al.com

Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 18,675 times
My husband and I went to Shrimp Festival this year. The weather was beautiful. Very crowded but, fun. We decided to eat inside "The Hangout" instead of walking around with our dinner. Turned out well. The art is pricey but a joy to look. We have a condo at The Lighthouse Resort and it was booked for the festival. We rent it out ourselves on VRBO.com

Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM

Well, we sure did have a blast in Gulf Shores! We ended up staying in a condo in Crystal Shores on the 14th floor. We had awesome views and really liked the condo. Got to watch the dolphins in the ocean and enjoy the soothing sounds of the waves.

It was a longer walk than expected (about 9/10th's of a mile), but we managed. It's hard when you wear sandals with just a bit of a heel - end up with blisters! What we women do for fashion

They had bands every night and the dancing area was PACKED! We had so much fun. We really enjoyed the festival food. Also enjoyed lunch at Bahama Bob's and one night drove out to Orange Beach to Lester's (the BBQ Bayou Shrimp is to die for!).

All in all had a fabulous time!
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Shores for Shrimp Festival-temp-pics-043.jpg   Gulf Shores for Shrimp Festival-temp-pics-049.jpg   Gulf Shores for Shrimp Festival-temp-pics-034.jpg   Gulf Shores for Shrimp Festival-temp-pics-063.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area