Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 10:42 PM

314 posts, read 255,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Mobile was actually in the talks with a company to redevelop the Civic Center and got pretty far nearly finished with the negotiations but then.... the pandemic. Nothing has happened since

A Stadium wasn’t talked about it in the development but a new one could be built on the HUD land directly north of Downtown, just a bunch of grassland at this point, also have a mid-town Ladd-Peeble Stadium not so used anymore since the new Whitney Stadium was built last year
Dang surge never thought about a stadium being there . That’s a golden idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 10:50 PM

268 posts, read 210,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
That’s great news, Mobile needs to be back in the Southern League. A new downtown stadium and Civic Center complex entertainment district would be a major game changer. Of course that takes big bucks, vision and available land. Need leaders to make it happen instead of waiting for it to happen. Question is when is Mobile going to take a big step up? You have all the ingredients.
If they were to do that, I wish they’d build it on the river like how Pensacola’s is on the bay. I believe they are having a massive amount of redevelopment of completely vacant land surrounding the stadium which will be apartments, retail, restaurants, condos, and office space. That may be a way to reinvigorate a lot of that wasted space on the riverfront right south of downtown

Old 07-24-2021, 12:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
If they were to do that, I wish they’d build it on the river like how Pensacola’s is on the bay. I believe they are having a massive amount of redevelopment of completely vacant land surrounding the stadium which will be apartments, retail, restaurants, condos, and office space. That may be a way to reinvigorate a lot of that wasted space on the riverfront right south of downtown
That would be a very interesting place to put a stadium

Old 07-24-2021, 04:14 AM

5,024 posts, read 9,275,550 times
Quote:
That’s great news, Mobile needs to be back in the Southern League. A new downtown stadium and Civic Center complex entertainment district would be a major game changer. Of course that takes big bucks, vision and available land. Need leaders to make it happen instead of waiting for it to happen. Question is when is Mobile going to take a big step up? You have all the ingredients.
We need big thinkers like you guys have in Huntsville.That is what I always admired about you guy's leadership. Even when I lived there between 2005- 2008. You guys had a big vision and made it or tried to make it happen regardless. Mobile has the ingredients to do so much,things are happening but not as fast as it should.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:03 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,253,097 times
More scrutiny for MCPSS, Students and Parent are getting upset that MCPSS over Asbestos and Mold issues in Dunbar Magnet School. Makes you kinda wonder what MCPSS has been doing, surely being so massive, they would have a decent amount of funding, but they haven't really done anything. Definitely becoming a believer that Mobile might be better off without MCPSS, although MCPSS bought themselves some time by building new stadiums for the inner cities. You know that Mobile County pays twice the Millage (property taxes) than Baldwin County; yet, Baldwin County Schools average much better than than Mobile County schools.

https://www.fox10tv.com/news/mobile_...zHY5gym3scrx_4

https://revenue.alabama.gov/wp-conte...05/MILLS20.pdf

Old 07-24-2021, 10:46 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,652,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
We need big thinkers like you guys have in Huntsville.That is what I always admired about you guy's leadership. Even when I lived there between 2005- 2008. You guys had a big vision and made it or tried to make it happen regardless. Mobile has the ingredients to do so much,things are happening but not as fast as it should.
It takes a great team, leadership, and community/ regional cooperation. The nay sayers and do nothings will come out of the swamp to criticize but good things will happen if its a solid plan. And it does take time, more than we like.
As an example Mid City is probably the latest big leap of faith, out of the box project currently underway. Huntsville wants to be a major participant and player in the music scene, industry with the new Amphitheater under construction which will compliment the downtown civic center and Mars music hall.

https://www.midcitydistrict.com/

https://www.huntsvilleamphitheater.com/

Similar things are happening in Birmingham as well, with the new stadium and entertainment district they are developing downtown.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
More scrutiny for MCPSS, Students and Parent are getting upset that MCPSS over Asbestos and Mold issues in Dunbar Magnet School. Makes you kinda wonder what MCPSS has been doing, surely being so massive, they would have a decent amount of funding, but they haven't really done anything. Definitely becoming a believer that Mobile might be better off without MCPSS, although MCPSS bought themselves some time by building new stadiums for the inner cities. You know that Mobile County pays twice the Millage (property taxes) than Baldwin County; yet, Baldwin County Schools average much better than than Mobile County schools.

https://www.fox10tv.com/news/mobile_...zHY5gym3scrx_4

https://revenue.alabama.gov/wp-conte...05/MILLS20.pdf
Yeah man I’m not sure why they don’t close and consolidate schools that seem to be losing population like Williamson. You never want to close a school, but closing it and selling the land would be the best way to stop bleeding money and to actually make money to use on current school buildings. Like how Calloway smith middle school in downtown is a relatively new school building. Florence Howard right up the road is relatively new as well. Why did they spend so much money to build an elementary and middle school in an area that’s losing population(the majority of that district comes from northwest of downtown)? Then they’ve also got Dunbar in a very old historic building to take care of and are adding Barton academy

Old 07-24-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
It takes a great team, leadership, and community/ regional cooperation. The nay sayers and do nothings will come out of the swamp to criticize but good things will happen if its a solid plan. And it does take time, more than we like.
As an example Mid City is probably the latest big leap of faith, out of the box project currently underway. Huntsville wants to be a major participant and player in the music scene, industry with the new Amphitheater under construction which will compliment the downtown civic center and Mars music hall.

https://www.midcitydistrict.com/

https://www.huntsvilleamphitheater.com/

Similar things are happening in Birmingham as well, with the new stadium and entertainment district they are developing downtown.
Dang. Meanwhile we’ve got the festival center with dirt cheap and academy as the only tenants for a 72 acre mall. Everyone talks about urban decay. If you wanna see suburban decay just drive down bel air boulevard. We’ve got people trying to bring back downtown, I don’t think we’ve got anyone trying to help out the center of the city at airport and I-65

Old 07-24-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah man I’m not sure why they don’t close and consolidate schools that seem to be losing population like Williamson. You never want to close a school, but closing it and selling the land would be the best way to stop bleeding money and to actually make money to use on current school buildings. Like how Calloway smith middle school in downtown is a relatively new school building. Florence Howard right up the road is relatively new as well. Why did they spend so much money to build an elementary and middle school in an area that’s losing population(the majority of that district comes from northwest of downtown)? Then they’ve also got Dunbar in a very old historic building to take care of and are adding Barton academy
Because at the time the Orange Grove, Da Bottom, and Camp Ground Communitues were not loosing population nor gaining at that time .They are newish but older than you think. I'm 35 and they were built when I was in middle school.Prior to that both schools were located directly in the Orange Grove Housing projects. They were in horrible conditions as they were extremely old. So the community received new schools as they should have at the time. If my memory serve me correct they were in the same building and over crowded. But never less the original schools were dead smack in the housing projects.

And also when I was in high-school Williamson had a much larger student body I'm a graduate of Leflore. When I was in high school Leflore had 1800 students( 2004 graduate).At one time it was 2k in the 90s. Now it's like 700 students now. And Williamson high had around 900.

Both Calloway and Florence had relatively large student populations at the time.

Last edited by PortCity; 07-24-2021 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-24-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Dang. Meanwhile we’ve got the festival center with dirt cheap and academy as the only tenants for a 72 acre mall. Everyone talks about urban decay. If you wanna see suburban decay just drive down bel air boulevard. We’ve got people trying to bring back downtown, I don’t think we’ve got anyone trying to help out the center of the city at airport and I-65
Yes that area is a dead zone from the festival center to the mall. Downtown, midtown, and West Mobile is were all of the developments are popping off at. I wouldn't call the Festival Center a mall but it has so much potential. It needs to be redeveloped to a life style centere. Keep Jo Ann's and Academy, add some more things and make Dirt Cheap leave.

These are examples that could work.

https://images.app.goo.gl/djQC5VmRze2wmaaK8

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZzPdV5AqwPqoRZT38

https://images.app.goo.gl/TNRnYVsPx3sejuEw8

Last edited by PortCity; 07-24-2021 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area