Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2020, 06:38 PM

567 posts, read 682,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post

I think that smaller lifestyle centers such as Legacy Village would do well in Mobile.

This center alone sucks any of the high end shopping right out of Bel Air Mall. It's in a higher grossing zipcode, and closer to the money that can afford to shop there. Unfortunately, it's very landlocked so getting more upscale tenants there or anywhere else is a major challenge.

On the Alabama side, the best shopping in the area is probably the Tanger Outlet mall. It seems to be the busiest and has the most well-rounded roster of tenants. Even a few non-outlet stores like H&M & TJMaxx have ended up here.

Cordova is just such a better mall by the simple fact they have a good owner, Simon. Whatever the reason being Military, tourism, or just better demographics, it's always been more well-rounded than Bel Air. And a major difference between the two malls is the design itself. Bel Air, being a product of the 60s, is just long, endless corridors, and the latest renovation makes it look like an airport terminal. Cordova, (in their newer wing) zig-zags the layout more, giving it a more intimate feel and makes it seem more inviting to the consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 11:12 AM

499 posts, read 479,078 times
Edtv411, couldn’t agree with you more about ranger outlets and Pensacola. I think you are right about the design factors.

Also, Foley has an awesome edge as most of its customers come from millions of tourist that love to spend money. Fresh customers throughout the season. That’s why a community as small as Foley can punch well above its weight.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:44 PM

651 posts, read 485,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Mobilians are also just strange. There can be a national or regional chain that should do perfect here, but for some reason Mobilians will not support it.
I noticed this too and fast fashion stores like Forever 21 should have done really well here. I wonder if H&M will survive.

Cheesecake Factory should do well too, but who knows with Mobile. This market is hard to figure out.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:46 PM

I think the disconnect comes from the developers, who are hell-bent on luring national chains to their properties, and drive up the rent to do so, making the local success stories go elsewhere where they have their own committed followings. The result? No one comes, and they slash the rent to bring in the so-called "space fillers" who are on a "short term" lease to pad the mall until something better comes along.

Back in the day, malls were a mix of diverse tenants, both local, regional, with some national tenants. Nowadays, the chains have become national, and once they falter, the whole shebang goes under.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:41 PM

Some good news... It looks like Baumhowers is getting ready to reopen.. they have a banner on the front saying that they are hiring once again.

As for the mall itself, it looks like they're back in their post-covid shutdown hours of 11:00 to 7: 00 now that the holidays are over.

Now that Belk could be circling the drain for bankruptcy this could really throw a wrench in the mall... JCPenney has a lifeline but for how long?

Old 01-24-2021, 07:04 PM

5,028 posts, read 9,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
Some good news... It looks like Baumhowers is getting ready to reopen.. they have a banner on the front saying that they are hiring once again.

As for the mall itself, it looks like they're back in their post-covid shutdown hours of 11:00 to 7: 00 now that the holidays are over.

Now that Belk could be circling the drain for bankruptcy this could really throw a wrench in the mall... JCPenney has a lifeline but for how long?
Belk in the ESC would close before the Bel Air location I assume. That place is to nice to be that dead.I wish it was a way to move it to Mobile County.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:35 PM

I just have to wonder who's call it was to close off the remaining portion of the corridor that used to have the Food Court in it. With it being closed off, it completely cuts off Target from the rest of the mall.

Target was probably the only store to remain open throughout the retail shutdowns, and JCPenney was very late to re-open their store (as a company...well after the mall and other tenants had re-opened). With the old Belk closing (and no more filler tenants in that space that used to be part of the mall), there really is no reason for it except for convenient access between the two points, which was a plus for me. Now, it really makes me less interested in the mall itself because of this division.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:08 PM

5,028 posts, read 9,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
I just have to wonder who's call it was to close off the remaining portion of the corridor that used to have the Food Court in it. With it being closed off, it completely cuts off Target from the rest of the mall.

Target was probably the only store to remain open throughout the retail shutdowns, and JCPenney was very late to re-open their store (as a company...well after the mall and other tenants had re-opened). With the old Belk closing (and no more filler tenants in that space that used to be part of the mall), there really is no reason for it except for convenient access between the two points, which was a plus for me. Now, it really makes me less interested in the mall itself because of this division.
Yes that pissed me off too.That space can really be used and it makes the mall look worse by blocking it.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:05 AM

311 posts, read 397,666 times
After the closing of all the other restaurants around it, I'm surprised to see that Baumhower’s Victory Grille has actually reopened. Looks like they've redesigned the interior, brought on a new GM and Chef, and started offering a unique ”Alabama Hot Chicken” dish. I haven't tried it, but am just passing along the info I received.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:37 PM

292 posts, read 391,451 times
How's Bel Air Mall doing so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area