Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that Rural routes in Alabama are often named for the residents who (currently) live on that route. For instance, he said that a resident by the last name of Appleby lives on a rural route but because it is so remote, I guess it is the Post Office that has named it Appleby Street. I have always thought streets, roads, etc. were only named for people of some standing, dead, famous or wealthy. Can someone explain to me if a regular Joe would ever have a rural route named after them simply because they live on that route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann137 View Post
Someone told me that Rural routes in Alabama are often named for the residents who (currently) live on that route. For instance, he said that a resident by the last name of Appleby lives on a rural route but because it is so remote, I guess it is the Post Office that has named it Appleby Street. I have always thought streets, roads, etc. were only named for people of some standing, dead, famous or wealthy. Can someone explain to me if a regular Joe would ever have a rural route named after them simply because they live on that route?
'Tis true and I know of several... but usually it's not just a regular Joe by himself... it's regular Joe, Joe's parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, kids and/or cousins where a family has a lot of acreage passed down through the generations and a lot of those related builds and lives on that property, thus it's theirs and it is named after them.

And then you have the rural developers that have bought acreage, subdivides it, puts in the streets and names the streets themselves whatever they choose to call them as long as the name has not already been taken, but in many instances still, they'll just call it a court, road, street or avenue or add north or south, east or west to it... whatever way they can to subtly differentiate it from one already used. There are many of these in existence where the streets in the development were named for every member of the developer's family.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Yep, and the same in Florida. My grandfather's cousin (who farmed and owned lots of land) has two roads named after him, one for his first name, and one for his last name.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,038 times
I live on a street that bares my last name. My Grandpa didn't own a lot of land but he owned about 5 acres at the end of the road and since it's been in the family since the 1930's when they decided to name the road it goes to the ones who live on the end of it. I know of several others in the area that I live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area