Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:45 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

shogun CLEARLY won that fight, there is no way machida won that fight.

complete BS!

on a different note, this may have been the worst ufc in 5 yrs or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Yes indeed!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:06 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
this wasnt even close. personally, i think Shogun won every round. and i dont even like Shogun. my MMA fandom doesnt extend to Pride. i've only seen Shogun in the UFC. so to me, Shogun has just been some over-rated dude who has looked like **** since arriving in the UFC. of course, he looked much improved when he beat Chuck Liddell. and tonight he was the best in the world at 205 lbs, solving the Machida Enigma.

but why would Dana and the UFC fix a decision though? marketability maybe. it seemed that Machida was getting over with the fans, which was natural since he seemed basically unbeatable, and almost untouchable. Machida is a handsome dude, so i can see how he might draw more female fans. or maybe just the fact that if there had been a just decision tonight, no LHW champion would have successfully defended the LHW Title since Rampage Jackson, 3 champions ago. sounds a little paranoid and far feched? it probably is. it's probably just a problem of incredibly blind and retarded judges. if that's the case, then i think tonight those judges have hurt the credibility of this sport - and rightly so.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 AM

i have watched this sport since UFC 1, i have trained this sport almost ever since. this was by far the worst decision in the "new ufc era". in other words, since zuffa took over. there where some pretty bad ones back in the day though.

as for shogun and his "sh**y" performances, you have to 1st remember he came off a broken arm and 2 knee rebuilds. just like the nba (or most other sports i guess) take that knee apart and try to put it back together is not exactly and easy thing to come back from. (ask my wife who cant play tennis much after 2 surgeries on her right knee where they had to actually take out part of the muscle).
i say if you have not watched him fight in pride, go rent some, or buy some at best buy or what ever. IMO what we saw last night out of him was not even his best stuff, he can be better as he was better in pride.

this looked to me to be the whole reason i cant stand boxing, the whole thing is corrupt. hell considering MILLIONS of dollars where placed on machida who was the 4-1 fav for this fight, who knows. hell i would be willing to bet that dana had money on machida.

think about this, one thing i cant stand of the UFC, it is owned and run by fertitas. here in houston they are known as "the galveston gangsters". their family ran the mafia out of south east texas back in the day to run the place themselves. i would put NOTHING past the galveston gangsters.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:26 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
The UFC doesn't employee the judges they are employed thru the California State Athletic Commission. Going into this fight I didn't want to see either of them lose I am a fan of both. Shogun won rounds 1/2/4/5 and Machida won round 3. This is why you never leave the fight up to the judges you never know what will happen. Also, rounds 1 and 2 were so close they could of been a draw so I'm sure they gave the edge to the Champ on extremely close rounds. plus, the judges have to turn in their scores at the end of each round so buy the end they gave Shogun rounds 1/2/3 and Shogun 4/5.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
as for shogun and his "sh**y" performances, you have to 1st remember he came off a broken arm and 2 knee rebuilds. just like the nba (or most other sports i guess) take that knee apart and try to put it back together is not exactly and easy thing to come back from. (ask my wife who cant play tennis much after 2 surgeries on her right knee where they had to actually take out part of the muscle).
i say if you have not watched him fight in pride, go rent some, or buy some at best buy or what ever. IMO what we saw last night out of him was not even his best stuff, he can be better as he was better in pride.
yeah, i know, and i have seen footage and am aware of the injuries he's come back from (and i am impressed). my point is that i'm not somebody who's butt-hurt because i'm a fan of one guy over the other. rather, objectively speaking, it's hard to see how such a bad call could have been made independent of some sort of corruption.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
The UFC doesn't employee the judges they are employed thru the California State Athletic Commission. Going into this fight I didn't want to see either of them lose I am a fan of both. Shogun won rounds 1/2/4/5 and Machida won round 3. This is why you never leave the fight up to the judges you never know what will happen. Also, rounds 1 and 2 were so close they could of been a draw so I'm sure they gave the edge to the Champ on extremely close rounds. plus, the judges have to turn in their scores at the end of each round so buy the end they gave Shogun rounds 1/2/3 and Shogun 4/5.

while all this is true, would it be the 1st time judges for any athletic commission where doing something "wrong"?

i agree with your assessment of the rounds though.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Sucks that these robberies happen. But Shogun just got the rematch! Lets see what happens then!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=9859&z=13 (broken link)

Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 AM

i just watched the fight again, with the sound off, and ya know what; it was not the blow out that it seemed like watching it live. i dont even have a big problem with the judges decision right now.

i know, it sounds CRAZY!!! i would have thought so too. try watching with the volume off so you can concentrate on whats being landed instead of following the storyline of the commentary. it also helps if you forget the fact that the typical Machida gameplan was completely derailed which added to the storyline.

and i wanted to see Lyoto get beat - i mean, he beat up my boy, Rashad.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 AM

ok so here is the thing, the 3 things the judges are supposed to look for, effective striking, effective grappling, and octagon control. so watching the fight again, and looking at the numbers below, i say shogun surely won. who was the more effective striker (obvious just by looking at the 2 fighters walk/limping out of the cage but the numbers dont lie) there wasnt much to the grappling but i will give that to machida considering he stuffed several take down attempts, and then there is octagon control, by nature machida should get no points for this as he is 100% a counter striker. rua was more aggressive (not a lot but that was his plan) and dictated the pace of the entire fight.

Quote:
Shogun landed 82 strikes out of 149.
Lyoto landed 42 strikes out of 116.

Shogun had 55% accuracy
Lyoto had 36% accuracy... Read More

Shogun landed 17 shots to the head (12 power shots).
Lyoto landed 14 shots to the head (8 power shots).

Lyoto landed 24 shots to the body
Shogun landed 16 shots to the body

Shogun landed 49 leg kicks.
Lyoto landed 4 leg kicks.

Shogun landed 48 strikes from distance.
Lyoto landed 26 strikes from distance.

Shogun landed 34 strikes from the clinch.
Lyoto landed 16 strikes from the clinch
now as for the "turn your sound off" argument, i have read several people say this around the webernet. the thing is, the audience was clearly in favor of rua as well as the fans at home. that said, if you have ever attended a UFC (or any other mma shows) you know the audience cant here the commentators. the audience was not swayed by joe rogans love fest of shogun, (and he did, once again, get carried away) they where swayed by shogun ruas performance.

(the striking numbers where sent to me from a friend in the texas state athletic commission)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)