Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM

82 posts, read 275,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I live in Columbia and no one is a bigger booster of the town generally, but first I'd strongly suggest looking in Fulton itself as a place to live. No, it's not Columbia-- there's just a lot more to do here, especially the arts. While MapQuest says that the commute is 31 miles that you can do in 32 minutes, that's not realistic. If you take the straight shot, Route WW east out of Columbia, the road is kind of slow and twisty in some places. The commute can beat people down. Trust me-- I commute to Jeff.

I also raise this because of your housing budget. Forget about finding a single-family house in Columbia for $100k unless you're willing to live in the most dodgy areas of town. The condos someone referred to upthread? If it's what I'm thinking of, it's a fairly recent construction with garden-style duplexes, but when they come on the market, they're going to cost way more than $100k, probably $200k. The townhouses next to them are rental only, I think. Columbia's housing prices have resisted the downward trend nationally because it is a desirable place to live and the economy has stayed better here. I know there are other condos in Columbia and if you're ok with that, realtor.com can probably give you a good idea of what's for sale and for what price. Also, someone mentioned the area bounded by Garth, Stadium, West Blvd., and Broadway, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anything there under $200k, and that would probably be a fixer-upper-- and now that we fixed up our house, there's one fewer of those available. There aren't many-- the area has gotten more gentrified and expensive every year.

The city website, gocolumbiamo.com, has crime maps-- you'll have to dig around a little but they're not hard to find. Lots of people run on the trails, esp. the MKT trail from Providence down to the Missouri River, which is quite a run. There's a big running community here, a lot of cyclists too.

Fulton has the little college, Westminster, there, and has some arts stuff going on as a result. And in my artsy stuff, I often meet people who live in Fulton who come into columbia for that sort of thing.
I had a look at those crime maps you mentioned. I compared the maps from Columbia to the ones from where I live and it doesn't really seem to me like you can go too wrong in Columbia. Even the safest suburban areas on both sides of the state line in the Kansas City area showed far more criminal activity than the worst parts of Columbia. That's outstanding news really. I've been considering relocating to Columbia for awhile. I feel very safe in the area that I live in now (northland-zona rosa area). So, with Columbia having far fewer crimes than my current location, I don't feel the need to focus on that too much when selecting a place to hang my hat.

I had a feeling that was what I would find when I looked at the map anyway. I've been to Columbia several times and never had any issues. Even as wild as the students were in some of the bars and clubs, they seemed rather friendly and with no intent of doing anything other than having fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 AM

76 posts, read 213,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillcekr View Post
Found condos for under 100,000.

3800 Saddlebrook Pl U, Columbia, MO, 65202 - MLS #323942 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

Brand new ones here

29 N Grace Ln Unit: 201, Columbia, MO, 65201 - MLS #325288 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

More..

5451 S Bethel Church Rd Unit: 6-101, Columbia, MO, 65203 - MLS #326657 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

More..

5613 Pinehurst Ln, Columbia, MO, 65202 - MLS #324844 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

More...

1115 Kennesaw Ridge D Unit: 904, Columbia, MO, 65202 - MLS #324656 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

More..

8 E North Cedar Lake Dr, Columbia, MO, 65203 - MLS #326373 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

More...

1655 W Amos Dr Unit: 1-D, Columbia, MO, 65203 - MLS #323573 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

As you can see there appear to be plenty of options. None of those listings appear to be dumps and I found them in 5 minutes of looking so I'm sure that if you do some extensive research you can find quite a few more. Good luck.

They key in buying a condo in Columbia, Mo. is that most of them are located on zero lot lines. This means you won't be buying the land under your condo. Many of them have a monthly land lease and a monthly condo fee.

Therefore, you should make sure to add $125+ to your monthly payment to make sure that fits into your budget. Also, for that same payment, could you in fact be buying a small home with a yard (if you wish to have a yard---and no neighbors with an attached wall).

However, the commute to Fulton is longer (by at least 15minutes) than the commute to Jeff City. Honestly, you are likely looking at very near a 45 minute commute; Jeff City is a 30 minute commute to nearly any location's parking lot.

BTW, Julie Wesley is a GREAT realtor! She is honest and very knowledgeable of the Columbia area. Good luck on your hunt, but I would make sure you make the drive to Fulton a time or two to make sure it's a daily commute you would not mind.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:52 AM

82 posts, read 275,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine11 View Post
They key in buying a condo in Columbia, Mo. is that most of them are located on zero lot lines. This means you won't be buying the land under your condo. Many of them have a monthly land lease and a monthly condo fee.

Therefore, you should make sure to add $125+ to your monthly payment to make sure that fits into your budget. Also, for that same payment, could you in fact be buying a small home with a yard (if you wish to have a yard---and no neighbors with an attached wall).

However, the commute to Fulton is longer (by at least 15minutes) than the commute to Jeff City. Honestly, you are likely looking at very near a 45 minute commute; Jeff City is a 30 minute commute to nearly any location's parking lot.

BTW, Julie Wesley is a GREAT realtor! She is honest and very knowledgeable of the Columbia area. Good luck on your hunt, but I would make sure you make the drive to Fulton a time or two to make sure it's a daily commute you would not mind.

That's the same with condos everywhere. Not just Columbia. That generally includes things like pool maintenance, lawn care, and building maintenance etc.. Actually you do end up paying for those very same things when you own a normal home but most people don't see it that way because it doesn't come in the form of a monthly payment. That is, unless you live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Then maybe not but, again, you're paying that extra monthly fee.

Something else to consider is that you might be able to buy something that cheap in Fulton but there are negatives to that as well. For one thing, there is NOTHING in Fulton. You're going to have to drive to Columbia for a lot of things.

You're also going to have to commute back and forth there to work. The extra money spent on gas could have been spent on a payment for a house in Columbia and given you an hour and a half of your life back each day that would be spent on the road if you live in Fulton.

Lastly, you get what you pay for. If you buy a house in Fulton it's not nearly as good an investment. The value of your home will not appreciate nearly as much as it would if you bought that same house in Columbia. Real estate prices in Fulton are near stagnant even during good economic times.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 AM

Thrillcekr says:

"That's the same with condos everywhere. Not just Columbia."

a land lease does not exist on ALL condo's + the condo association fee.

" That generally includes things like pool maintenance, lawn care, and building maintenance etc.. Actually you do end up paying for those very same things when you own a normal home but most people don't see it that way because it doesn't come in the form of a monthly payment. That is, unless you live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Then maybe not but, again, you're paying that extra monthly fee."

The land lease fee is exactly what it says........it is a "lease on the
ground your condo is sitting on for a certain period of time......i.e.99 years.

"Something else to consider is that you might be able to buy something that cheap in Fulton but there are negatives to that as well. For one thing, there is NOTHING in Fulton. You're going to have to drive to Columbia for a lot of things. "

NOTHING is a pretty strong term. Fulton has grocery stores, many many many restuarants, flower shops, banks, and I believe a wal-mart....plus many other places. I believe I mentioned there is NO MALL for shopping. However, who spends every day at the mall?

"You're also going to have to commute back and forth there to work. The extra money spent on gas could have been spent on a payment for a house in Columbia and given you an hour and a half of you
life back each day that would be spent on the road if you live in Fulton. "

May I ask commute where? to work? do you mean from the driveway to the workplace....a 10 minute drive perhaps? Unless they are looking for acreage in the country I hardly agree a jot across Fulton is the same as commuting from Columbia to Fulton.

"Lastly, you get what you pay for. If you buy a house in Fulton it's not nearly as good an investment. The value of your home will not appreciate nearly as much as it would if you bought that same house in Columbia. Real estate prices in Fulton are near stagnant even during good economic times."

A good investment in Columbia is not heard of at the moment either. The truth of the matter is the real estate market is down. There are over 1300 homes listed in the Columbia MLS with many many for several months that won't sell at all. Most likely not even 1/4 of those are under contract.

There is NO appreciation occuring in Columbia at the moment. Anyone telling you otherwise is simply not telling you the truth. You can open the phone book and call any trustworthy appraiser in town and they will tell you our market is down by at least 10%.

I am not trying to sell Fulton or any other area for that matter, but just letting the OP know to make the drive for themselves. Some may like a smaller town feel like Fulton and some may not. But, to simply say Columbia is a better investment is simply not true from a 'figures' standpoint or convenience.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Sunshine11, the real estate crash affected the entire United States (mostly in places like California, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida, though, more than Missouri [or states nearby]), not just Columbia, MO. Yesterday evening I talked to my friend Pat Shepard, who lives in Columbia, and he said your reports of some sort of recent massive crimewave in Columbia are just silly. I remember the incident where a professor/instructor was killed and then left in his car in a parking garage - it happened in '04, right? It stood out as a freakish, anomalous incident, and it in no way affected my bicycling or any other behavior. If you won't let your teenage son walk to his friend's house in south-suburban Columbia, MO (which would possibly rank among the top ten most white-bread locales on the planet), I honestly feel sorry for your son. In fact, my mother (who still visits Columbia regularly, since she and my dad still have a condo at "the Lake") seconded Pat's opinion that Columbia is ridiculously far from being a 'dangerous' community (again, I wonder what sort of other metro areas you've lived in ) and suggested that the almost incomprehensibly weird rule you set down for your son (unless he had serious behavioral problems of his own, of course.. then she could understand) bordered on child abuse. I don't know if I'd go that far, but... *shrugs*

Guys, just check crime stats online. Columbia is *not* a city with high crime. From various comments Sunshine11 has made (and not just about crime, either - her speaking about the recent national bursting of the real estate bubble as if it only affected Columbia, MO is a good example of this), I sense that she has some sort of personal vendetta against Columbia and would rather not be living there. This is actually depressingly common on C-D - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if 33% (or more) of C-D posters are mostly here to disparage and whine about having to live in some place they've settled (at least relatively) recently.

OMG on a popsicle stick. I just noticed that you're planning a move to the Houston area, right? My brother lived in Houston for years (he worked for the Continental pilots' union), and my SO is from San Antonio. I love both cities and would gladly leave DC to live in either of them tomorrow. But I just can't resist - YOU'RE MOVING TO HOUSTON METRO AND ARE AFRAID OF COLUMBIA, MISSOURI??? This prove to be veddy, veddy interesting.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-26-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Sunshine11, the real estate crash affected the entire United States (mostly in places like California, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida, though, more than Missouri [or states nearby]), not just Columbia, MO. Yesterday evening I talked to my friend Pat Shepard, who lives in Columbia, and he said your reports of some sort of recent massive crimewave in Columbia are just silly. I remember the incident where a professor/instructor was killed and then left in his car in a parking garage - it happened in '04, right? It stood out as a freakish, anomalous incident, and it in no way affected my bicycling or any other behavior. If you won't let your teenage son walk to his friend's house in south-suburban Columbia, MO (which would possibly rank among the top ten most white-bread locales on the planet), I honestly feel sorry for your son. In fact, my mother (who still visits Columbia regularly, since she and my dad still have a condo at "the Lake") seconded Pat's opinion that Columbia is ridiculously far from being a 'dangerous' community (again, I wonder what sort of other metro areas you've lived in ) and suggested that the almost incomprehensibly weird rule you set down for your son (unless he had serious behavioral problems of his own, of course.. then she could understand) bordered on child abuse. I don't know if I'd go that far, but... *shrugs*

Guys, just check crime stats online. Columbia is *not* a city with high crime. From various comments Sunshine11 has made (and not just about crime, either - her speaking about the recent national bursting of the real estate bubble as if it only affected Columbia, MO is a good example of this), I sense that she has some sort of personal vendetta against Columbia and would rather not be living there. This is actually depressingly common on C-D - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if 33% (or more) of C-D posters are mostly here to disparage and whine about having to live in some place they've settled (at least relatively) recently.

OMG on a popsicle stick. I just noticed that you're planning a move to the Houston area, right? My brother lived in Houston for years (he worked for the Continental pilots' union), and my SO is from San Antonio. I love both cities and would gladly leave DC to live in either of them tomorrow. But I just can't resist - YOU'RE MOVING TO HOUSTON METRO AND ARE AFRAID OF COLUMBIA, MISSOURI??? This prove to be veddy, veddy interesting.

Alicia,
Lets get a few things straight:

My knowledge of the Columbia market real estate is quite strong. I am also well aware of the National market and the bubble.

Those area's in the U.S. who enjoyed 15-35% appreciation per year for a while got hit the hardest when the bubble burst.
We enjoyed a 3-4% appreciation per year for a very long time. To date our appreciation is 0% and has been for the past couple of years. Because we never enjoyed the 30% appreciation it only stands to reason we did not get hit as hard; however, we still got hit. (most are selling at losses by the time they pay realtor commissions, fees, and whatever else.) Houses are appraising for less.

Did you friend tell you that as well? or is your friend a homeowner or a tenant? "the lake" is not comparable to the Columbia market at all, but I am sure you are aware of that. If you are not, your parents probably are.

I have NO vendetta against Columbia. I am merely answering the OP's questions from someone who is now living here in Columbia, Mo. presently.

I have not called Columbia "a dangerous community"...simply stating the facts of the current happenings. You can "label" that as you see fit, but those are not my terms.

Crime has risen in Columbia rather you like it or not and yes, Columbia does have crime just like everywhere else in the world.

Maybe your friend can tell you about the emails we get from the campus police of attacks in the middle of the night. I am sure he does not receive these emails unless he has something to do with the university, but I would be happy to copy and paste an email for your viewing.

Maybe your friend can tell you about the elderly gentleman in a wheelchair(south side of town) who had a perp. follow him inside his front door then attack and rob him.

Maybe he can tell you about the recent attacks in the garages on campus causing the camera's to be installed.....perps. not students.

Maybe he can tell you about the many car vandalism and break ins in the past year, all over town, not just on one side of town.

Maybe he can tell you about the most recent shootings! 2! One in the walmart parking lot at 5am in the morning and the other at a motel parking lot (resulting in murder). Both within the last 6 months I do believe.

Maybe your friend can tell you about the recent arson that burned down our 'very beloved' Maplewood Barn Theater. :-(

Yes Columbia crime has risen. Yes everywhere has crime. But, my point: I believe I read another poster say "don't expect Columbia to be something it is not".

My point, just be aware.

Again, this is no vendetta and your quote about "Columbia being a dangerous community" is not a quote you are quoting from me. I am simply quoting the recent crime and answering the OP's questions. In other words, Columbia has it's own crime and, yes, you must take precaution here in Columbia, Mo. as well.

We can have a friendly debate on some Columbia real estate market facts if you would like, but we should probably take that to a separate thread if you so wish. We could have a friendly debate on the national trends as well, if you would like.

Last edited by Sunshine11; 04-26-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 PM

Alicia,

I forgot to mention to you, as you are aware I am NOT moving to the Houston Metro.

We are looking at the Houston and Dallas area for small towns, not the metro.

BTW, I love San Antonio, but it is not reasonable for us to move their with our work. However, I do plan to spend some time there, no doubt :-)

Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Default Montessori School

OP,

You requested info. on the Montessori School. What would you like to know? Two of my three children attended there. It is called "Children's House" and it is basically on campus at the university. It is not part of the university, but is located within the campus location.

They are wonderful. It's been several years since my children attended, but I know the school is still ran by the same people. We stop in to see them every once in a while.

Great learning environment, great social environment, just GREAT all the wa around!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 AM

188 posts, read 938,324 times
Sunshine11 is correct in a lot of things he/she is saying, Columbia 2006 is completely different than Columbia 2010. If someone hasn’t been in the area in the last 4 or 5 years they really don’t have a clue what’s been going on the last several years. Yes, Columbia is safe but don’t take it for granted, they are not putting video cameras in the downtown area just because they want to and have extra cash to waste and it’s not due to all the panhandling that happens downtown. City revenue has been way down the last couple of years due to the lack of tax income and several major companies leaving or downsizing in Columbia so the City is penny pinching and looking for others to pay the tab.

If you have never been here before visit first and experience the downtown area during the night it’s totally different from the daytime, most of the people are great here and are very liberal but crime has risen and the cost of a home have risen a lot in the last several years even the cost of electricity and gas, there’s been major debate about bicycling and yard chickens in the last year and we even have a new mayor after 15 years. There are more issues here than crime and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Good luck in moving to Columbia, I hope everything works out for you. Just to let you know the University of Missouri including the Hospital is on a Hiring Freeze and has been for the last year or so, it’s hard to get into the system. Boone hospital is here also and both companies require you to apply online, you might what to check them out online. Make sure at least one of you have a job, the unemployment rate is high abut 10% now and it could take a while before something decent becomes available.

Columbia is a nice place there are better and worse places to live but it’s not worth crying over. LoL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri