Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 50,992 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend's ex wife just moved into Hawthorne Place Apartments with their two small children. We have not heard good things about this area. Could anyone tell me anything about that area of town. Can you tell me if this is someplace you would raise children. It is just east of 291 and 24hwy. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontanacteacher View Post
My boyfriend's ex wife just moved into Hawthorne Place Apartments with their two small children. We have not heard good things about this area. Could anyone tell me anything about that area of town. Can you tell me if this is someplace you would raise children. It is just east of 291 and 24hwy. Thanks
Sounds to me like you need to mind your own buisness, and let the mother of the children decide what is a good place to live.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 50,992 times
I am sorry if it seems that I am being intrusive. My boyfriend is going for custody and he lives in a rural area. So we don't know much about the city. He as well as I are concerned for the children's wellbeing and was looking for some reassurance that this area is not as bad as had been described.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,550 times
Quote:
I am sorry if it seems that I am being intrusive. My boyfriend is going for custody and he lives in a rural area. So we don't know much about the city. He as well as I are concerned for the children's wellbeing and was looking for some reassurance that this area is not as bad as had been described.
I dont think there bad, there just old. If your asking are they "getto" then I would say No. Independence is a pretty nice city, like all, it has bad parts, but I would say definately not as bad as some parts of KCMO. As far as raising children there, I'm not sure. I know where they are but not a lot about them. At first glance, I would say they are ok (for an apartment complex)

Old 06-25-2008, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 17,815 times
I lived at Hawthorne for three years. It is good and bad. Depending on the area for one and your own parenting as another. If this mother is very pro active on who her children play with and where they go then its not that bad of a place to live. This is something you have to do ANYWHERE you live. It can be a bit rough in some of the areas of hawthorne, but it is rated the number one low income housing in the country. It has many perks that a normal apt complex doesnt. Including on site GED classes, computer classes. nutrition and cooking classes as well as social workers to help you find assistance when needed for things like food, bills etc. But it also has its more unsavory people like the woman who responded to your post saying to mind your own business. I applaud your concern for children that are not yours. This is what we need as a society. People looking out for the benefit of children in general. As far as being old they were not to long ago fully renovated. They are some of the best apartments around as far as updates go.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 17,292 times
No. Hawthorne is not a good place to live. I myself used to live there. It is a drug neighborhood as well as cops are called VERY frequently.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
It's one of the worst areas in Indep. It's basically the "projects" most people pay little to anything to live there.

Although I have heard the complex has "gotten better". For whatever that's worth.

Basically, chances are you are pretty down on your luck (or make some bad choices in life), if you have to live there.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 PM

11 posts, read 42,460 times
There are two sections to hawthorne - a south side and a north side. I've been to a couple of apartments on the south and they were ok. Old and small but seemed ok. There were kids outside everywhere playing, people in their yards, etc. The north side, however,has a different feel. It seemed dirtier maybe?

If I'm not mistaken one side goes to Independence schools and the other side goes to Fort Osage schools. My older kids went to fort and we never had any problems. We did not live in hawthorne - had a home on the edge of town - but thought the school was fine.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 17,190 times
I lived in Hawthorne about 4 years ago when my son was 3. I loved it there and never had any problems at all. I actually regret my decision to move out of there. I have lived in other parts of Independence since then and have had more problems in those areas which weren't anywhere near Hawthorne. Just last summer I worked for The Boys and Girls club that is located in Hawthorne and thought it was nice. I am actually going back to apply to live there again just because I liked it so much. No matter where you live there will always be problems. I've seen apartment communities in Independence that were far worse when it comes to safety and quality especially for the price. Just because a person chooses to live in Hawthorne doesn't mean that they've either made bad decisions or that they are down on their luck. Just because a place is considered low income housing doesn't mean that its automatically a bad area either. And a child should always be safe as long as their parent(s) take care of and supervise them like they should. A court would not tell a mom or dad that they couldn't have or see their child(ren) just because they live in Hawthorne. If that was the case then you wouldn't see all the children that do live there. If that parent provides for them properly then thats all that matters. I have no fear whatsoever of moving back in there with my 2 children.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 16,014 times
Thumbs down in response

My cousin had lived there along with some of my friends, I as well live right around corner from there. I would not raise my child there. I thought about it because im in need of a place, however, my son will not be raised around drugs, violence, and all the trash there. People break into your place, they destroy anything on your property. It is not the safest for children
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri