Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're just about to head up to Lake of the Ozarks for a week or so and stay at Tan-Tar-A. Before making the reservations though, I went and checked the tripadvisor reviews, and it seems real hit or miss. Lots and lots of bad reviews, but some glowing ones also.

I thought I'd see if anyone here has thoughts/opinions as to whether it's a good place to spend a week for a family of four (kids 12 and 15) or if there is something better nearby (not interested in Branson). We just wanted to try something different than the beach for a change and the Ozarks seem like an interesting destination.

Thanks
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,620 times
Well, the reason Tan-Tar-A is so hit or miss is that the rental spots (outside the main building hotel/conference center) are all individually-owned condos with varying states of maintenance and age issues. We stayed in one many years ago and had no problems. But with any place at the lake except a hotel room, you're likely going to be renting out someone's vacation home, so sometimes word-of-mouth works best.

There's plenty of things to do; lots of them are vacation/tourist-oriented things like outlet shopping, go-carts, arcades, mini-golf, jet-ski rentals, etc. Depending on the weather (it can be just as brutally hot and humid there as anyplace in Texas) there are less-touristy things to do and see, like Lake of the Ozarks State Park and Ha-Ha-Tonka State Park.

Also, realize the the lake is more or less the northern tip of the Ozarks. The "mountains" and caves so prevalent in the Ozarks are more in the southern part of state, closer to Branson. If your family is into fishing, canoeing, or camping there are plenty of places in southern Missouri/ northern Arkansas to visit, especially along the White River. Places like Rockbridge and Gaston's come to mind.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:24 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
My Mom's teaching conferences are there every year.

It's always been very nice. The estates are generally bigger, but you either have to drive to or take the shuttle to the pool, minigolf, other amenities.

But I've always found Tan-Tar-A to be very nice. We always went for the conferences in March, which is the offseason.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Lake of the Ozarks!!! Love it. Was there last month for a conference. We stayed at the Lodge of Four Seasons this time. Tan Tar A is an older resort, however there really is much to do and see in the area.

HaHa Tonka This place is absolutely fascinating. Plan to spend at least a few hours in the area. Also, would suggest that your google Tan Tar A and check out a few additional links. I live just east of this area and we are part of the Ozarks, Many caves private and public in this area. If you are interested in the caves of Missouri:

Missouri Caves Association

Then: "The Official Lake of the Ozarks Web Site"

Just in addition to what others have posted. Hey, have a great time!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Do they still have an indoor ice skating rink at Tan-Tar-A? I went to a Civil War Ball there when we were re-enacting years and years ago. It was neat to see everyone in their ballgowns and uniforms and white gloves walking the halls. We enjoyed the facilities.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Nope. No more rink. They have displays and booths and stuff there now (during conventions).

Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Well, we got here last night!
So far, so good.

Heading to the lake on a boat now. (boating on a weekday seems like a good idea as there is little traffic and we are novice boaters in a rental boat).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll write up a vacation report at the conclusion of our 7 days here.

Steve

Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 AM

If you have a chance to get to the strip they have some 10 cent skee ball and batting cages, a couple decent little stores, and pretty good fudge. Tan-Tar-A is kind of far out, though, so it'll be a little bit farther of a drive. But it's nice for a couple of hours if you have time to kill. The area has gone downhill a lot the last couple of decades, so it's kind of depressing. But there are a couple of nice places still there.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM

321 posts, read 920,472 times
We just booked 3 nights for Labor Day weekend down at the Lodge Four Seasons - decided to splurge, plus it looks like they have a nice golf course for DH. Where are the good places to eat down that way? We like most any type food but it must be family friendly

Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, we got here last night!
So far, so good.

Heading to the lake on a boat now. (boating on a weekday seems like a good idea as there is little traffic and we are novice boaters in a rental boat).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll write up a vacation report at the conclusion of our 7 days here.

Steve

VERY good idea. If you aren't all that comfortable as a boater, I'd advise staying off the lake if the weekend traffic picks up. It can be VERY rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri