Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 PM

71 posts, read 281,216 times

Advertisements

Just interested in getting opinions. I'm really torn and hope I don't sound silly here.

My husband and I are as some may know.....are interested in moving the MO.

We do understand after much research that MO is in the top 10 as far as states with a lower cost of living...especially compared to MN where I presently live. We could have soo much more living in MO for the same cost of what we have now.

We are also interested in a milder winter and a few other reasons.

All of our family however live here in this state and of course would miss them. We understand that families move apart a lot depending on what is gonig on in their lives....careers etc but I wonder if I move.....what if I am so homesick that I regret it.

Our opportunities would be better leaving than staying. We have done the pros and cons list and there are many more pros.

Just so torn as to what to do.

What do you all think? What is your story? How do I know if I am doing the right thing.

I know nothing is perm....we could come back but of course it is a major thing and not easy to just move across country. Especially with 20 horses!

SIGH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:37 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,263,887 times
I think you would be happy relocating especially if your pro list is longer than the con one.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.

Honestly I'm scared...probably normal..but I practically pace the house wondering what the right choice is and can't sleep well at night.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,067,294 times
River Wood - I understand, quite a bit, your dilemma. Altho' I've moved a few times, each and every one of 'em was NOT easy - many many hours spent making lists, looking at maps, researching, debating w/ myself [funny how I can always win,,, no, I did,,, oh stop that! ], talking w/ friends/family, and the such. However, no amount of thinking or debating or list making will ever satisfy the truth - only if and when yas pull up stakes and actually get to where it be yas are gonna hang your shingle, and then give it a fair piece of time to settle in, that is then when you know if the "right" decision was made and acted upon. Looking back, for example on my last move, I miss sooooo much about the Alabama/Georgia area that left behind - but, overall it was a positive move, mainly professionally, and life is too short for regrets. Being here in Indiana is not the peachiest - tad too flat and wind swept and cold for my tastes, but alas, there are many positives too around the area, so overall 'tis good. All can say is this (1) try, very hard, to keep the emotions to a minimum, act on logic and rational thinking [ha,,, yea right! don't listen to him, he's not logical at all! ], and (b) once yas make your decision, do NOT look back w/ remorse - look forward to new opportunities and adventures. Good luck...

Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,386,672 times
Cool Been there.

It is a big decision. You're not being silly. What we did was get a few of our family units to move at the same time to SW MO 15 years ago from No Cal!!! (One sister stayed 2 years and moved back to CA, she had grandbabies being born!)

The way I have survived is to BUDGET for a couple of trips back each year and get as many of the family to VISIT here as possible. Hey...it's a really fun place to vacation! [img]http://******************/party-smiley-7483.gif[/img]

I'm still trying to get some of the now-married-nephews to bring their families out...knowing that if they come once, they'll be hooked!

One major consideration is how much travel will cost. That's getting more difficult, but I have a trip booked to SFO soon that was only $211...on Hotwire.

If I had it to do over, I would still move.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 PM

Thanks you guys!

and ShadowCaver, I could give ya a big hug...thanks for....well for wording that so well...kind of clicks for me now...

Old 07-15-2008, 05:11 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,846,425 times
If the pro list is much longer than the con, it may be worth it to move to Missouri.

It's tough leaving family, though. Today we have internet and easy phone access, but I understand it's still not the same.

You have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons enough.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 31,800 times
I'm in MO looking to head your way. MO is great- hot and sticky! BUT cheap.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Good luck to you joopiter

Old 08-09-2008, 11:32 AM

26 posts, read 91,534 times
I came here 2 years ago, just me and my little one. I am a single disabled grandma...but knew I wanted to give my little one a better way of life that I could afford. Its been WONDERFUL for him and I alike. I have had the opportunity to give him a simpler way of life (refering to country life, teaching him to harvest home grown veggies....gather eggs from our chickens...learning to live with the land instead of leaching off of it). IT IS SCAREY leaving family, friends and all you know behind. But the benifits of bettering your life in an area that one can afford to live in far out weight anything that you can do. There is always saving and visiting "home" for vacations. I would go where your family can thrive and be the happiest. Sounds like you have done due dilligence...and researched it... GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!! I have not regretted it for one moment...and if it wasn't for the fact that I have medical issues....would NEVER leave here. BUT I can't be selfish...I have a small child and medical problms...and if something were to happen to me...the state would take him...and I WILL NEVER ALLOW THAT I will sell my life long dream of country life...and go live closer to family.

You can always move back home ...after awhile if it doesn't work out....but give it a few years..settle in get to know people....I think that you will be pleasantly happy and surprized at the ease in which you will settle into a comfortable lifestyle here....especially if you plan on living rural. ITS WONDERFUL....going out and gathering fresh eggs for breakfast. Pulling fresh picked veggies to serve up for the days meal (yes I do can them for all year long use also). Listening to the peepers in the evening. Watching the joy of a child chase a lightingbut with their little glowy arses........LOL AH LIFE IS GOOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: