Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 PM

148 posts, read 404,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Joyce Meyer sounds like some Missourians I've heard. She has a little bit of a southern drawl, but not that bad, not like Arkansas anyway.
Joyce Meyer has a very average Missouri accent, exactly like my dad. I just got back from Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina, and non St. Louis Missourians have a very, very mild southern accent. It almost sounds non regional to my ear that has been recently attuned to the southeast, but i know its not. The funny thing is her wiki page says she still speaks with a south st. louis accent, but she absolutely does not have any kind of working class south st. louis accent, although her parents could be from the ozarks, as many whites from south st. louis were during the last wave of white migration to the city were, and she picked that up. To me, south St. Louis accents sound more like western Michigan accents mixed with a little Chicago and a little Ozark (certain words, wash=worsh or warsh).

Last edited by CoffeeAndBeer; 07-20-2010 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAndBeer View Post
(certain words, wash=worsh or warsh).
Very nasal A, and almost a triple sounding R.
We St Louisians like to hit our R's really hard, probably why Nelly spells a lot of his song title words with a double R.
Its funny, I can always tell when someone down here is from STL, before I even ask, because they have no accent whatsoever to me, even after all these years.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,756,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAndBeer View Post
Joyce Meyer has a very average Missouri accent, exactly like my dad. I just got back from Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina, and non St. Louis Missourians have a very, very mild southern accent. It almost sounds non regional to my ear that has been recently attuned to the southeast, but i know its not. The funny thing is her wiki page says she still speaks with a south st. louis accent, but she absolutely does not have any kind of working class south st. louis accent, although her parents could be from the ozarks, as many whites from south st. louis were during the last wave of white migration to the city were, and she picked that up. To me, south St. Louis accents sound more like western Michigan accents mixed with a little Chicago and a little Ozark (certain words, wash=worsh or warsh).
I agree. I don't hear many people who sound like Joyce when I visit St. Louis. I have always thought that she was Southern. There are many people here in TN who have the same accent as Joyce

Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,564,613 times
It seems we're always arguing whether Missouri is Southern or not. There are several threads devoted to this important topic. It is funny, though a bit tedious, but occasionally someone will post a link that's interesting.

Other states carry on the same argument. Over in the Texas thread they argue whether Texas is South, Southwestern or Western. The consensus among city-data participants is that Texas is NOT Southern; city-data posters don't want to be painted with that tar brush.

Ozarks Boy
Native Southerner
Transplanted from Georgia; moved his family to Missouri way back in '53 (and been missing the Starbucks in Atlanta ever since, why doesn't Rolla have a Starbucks. Rolla needs a Starbucks. And a mall or two for some serious shopping. We need a decent grocery store where you can buy fresh vegetables. The only place you can buy fresh vegetables here is at the three farmers markets we have each week. We need a Trader Joe's Whole Foods Market so we can get some decent produce. Gosh, I can't believe I moved my family into such a backwards place.).

Old 07-23-2010, 07:16 PM

694 posts, read 1,358,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Transplanted from Georgia; moved his family to Missouri way back in '53 (and been missing the Starbucks in Atlanta ever since, why doesn't Rolla have a Starbucks. Rolla needs a Starbucks. And a mall or two for some serious shopping. We need a decent grocery store where you can buy fresh vegetables. The only place you can buy fresh vegetables here is at the three farmers markets we have each week. We need a Trader Joe's Whole Foods Market so we can get some decent produce. Gosh, I can't believe I moved my family into such a backwards place.).
Oh quit your complaining OB. If you are going to move here from the South - you have to learn to adapt to our backward ways! We don't need Starbucks in Missouri - we are America's largest producer of meth. Little meth will perk you RIGHT up - and keep you there longer than any fancy coffee!! Walk down your street and knock on a few doors - you'll find a neighbor who's cooking it.

You want fresh vegetables? I bet you have a little dirt on that rock infested property of yours, so grow your own and maybe the Japanese beetles and raccoons will leave you a few to snack on by fall time. Otherwise, rob from your neighbors garden before he robs from yours. I believe it is state custom that any garden on private property is actually community property anyway.

And the the only thing Trader's Joe's has to offer is "two buck Chuck" (which I believe is now 3 bucks). Who needs inexpensive wine when you can pick up homemade shine, made from the finest filtered leftover antifreeze in any school yard in Missouri?

Wow - you must find happiness in this dreadful state my friend or move on.

(how did I do?)

Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,863,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
It seems we're always arguing whether Missouri is Southern or not. There are several threads devoted to this important topic. It is funny, though a bit tedious, but occasionally someone will post a link that's interesting.

Other states carry on the same argument. Over in the Texas thread they argue whether Texas is South, Southwestern or Western. The consensus among city-data participants is that Texas is NOT Southern; city-data posters don't want to be painted with that tar brush.

Ozarks Boy
Native Southerner
I'll chip in a few bucks if you are lookin for a ticket to California

Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,564,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Oh quit your complaining OB. If you are going to move here from the South - you have to learn to adapt to our backward ways! We don't need Starbucks in Missouri - we are America's largest producer of meth. Little meth will perk you RIGHT up - and keep you there longer than any fancy coffee!! Walk down your street and knock on a few doors - you'll find a neighbor who's cooking it.

You want fresh vegetables? I bet you have a little dirt on that rock infested property of yours, so grow your own and maybe the Japanese beetles and raccoons will leave you a few to snack on by fall time. Otherwise, rob from your neighbors garden before he robs from yours. I believe it is state custom that any garden on private property is actually community property anyway.

And the the only thing Trader's Joe's has to offer is "two buck Chuck" (which I believe is now 3 bucks). Who needs inexpensive wine when you can pick up homemade shine, made from the finest filtered leftover antifreeze in any school yard in Missouri?

Wow - you must find happiness in this dreadful state my friend or move on.

(how did I do?)

Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,394,092 times
Would you mind explaining when and how Starbucks became your major arch nemesis?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,662,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
(how did I do?)

Wow, that was good.............

Old 07-31-2010, 02:20 PM

31 posts, read 64,589 times
If and when I retire to Missouri I would be very happy to never see another Starbucks again. I am not the type of person that would waste money on high priced coffee. A cold beer is better. Ray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri