Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:37 AM

12 posts, read 109,744 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are seriously looking at moving to the Warrensburg/Knob Noster/Sedalia area within the next 1-2 years. I am a pretty enthusiastic hunter and am wondering what the local gun laws are like. Do you have to register your firearms?? What about handguns? Can you carry in plain view, in your car, or concealed?? Any info would be much appreciated. I don't think it would make that big of an impact on our decision, unless the law was no guns at all, which I don't think is true. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 04:03 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,507 times
There is no registration requirement for long guns, there is for handguns - you have to have a permit to own one. You can take a class and get a permit to carry concealed. You can also carry concealed in your vehicle without a carry permit if you are over age 21. You should look into the laws carefully before transporting a handgun in Missouri just to be sure about all the details.

The hunting here is great - deer, turkey, ducks, geese, doves, small game, and small predators. I'm getting ready for my first archery hunt of the year this weekend.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:37 PM

137 posts, read 610,171 times
a permit to own a handgun? or a permit to purchase? How do I go about bringing my legally purchased firearms into the state where I plan to reside?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,778 times
Here's a docutment striaght from the NRA about Missouri weapon laws:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MOSL.pdf (broken link)

That should clear up most questions.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:39 PM

22 posts, read 88,946 times
The handgun permit is for acquisition only... purchase or transfer of ownership. There's no official registration of guns in Missouri. If you've bought handguns legally in other states, they are welcome in Missouri without issue... just simply bring them with you.

Once you become a Missouri citizen and want to buy a handgun at that time, you will be bound to the handgun purchase permit law which requires filling out a form at your local sheriff's office, waiting 5-7 business days for a permit, and paying a $10 fee. Doesn't matter how you acquire it... even if it's given to you for free by a relative... a permit is required. Missouri is the only state in the midwest to require handgun acquisition permits. There's discussion in the Missouri legislature to get the current permit laws cancelled hopefully as soon as this summer.

Of course no permit is needed to purchase long guns and rifles and they can be purchased by Missouri residents out of state.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:52 PM

Thank You for the clarification. I had heard about the possibility of the requirement being dropped. I have other concerns about my concealed carry permit. It states in the Mo. regs that i cannot apply for 6 months after becoming a resident. Once I have become a resident it would stand to reason that my current out of state permit that is honored in Mo. presently would be null and void. That would leave me and my wife,(we both have carry permits) without carry rights for at least six months and maybe more depending on how long it takes Missouri to process the application. There is also a gray area as to what the state of Missouri considers firearm training as stated in the regs. Does anyone know if Missouri honors any state's "non-resident" carry permit? Thanks for any info on the issue

Last edited by Indy4570; 03-11-2007 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,507 times
According to ccrkba.org, Missouri recognizes all permits issued by other States.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:12 PM

I understand that but there are increasing numbers of states that offer "non-resident" permits to non-residents. Some states will not recognize those permits but some do. My "resident" permit is not honored in some states because they feel they are too easy to get and not enough training is required. In my state they have always been issued if a person had a clean record. Several states having established a concealed weapon permit in the last ten years have had extensive requirements involving extensive,(and expensive!) training and excessive costs. for instance my state permit is not honored in Ohio but If I obtained a "non-resident permit from Florida it would be recognized. But Ohio will not recognize a "non-resident " permit from New Hampshire. The constantly changing laws concerning this issue have spawned an industry printing guides every year so that the law abiding gun owner can stay on the right side of the law. Traveling in this country has become a real challenge with stops prior to crossing state lines sometimes necessary to comply with different laws. There is currently national legislation in progress to address the situation making it legal for any person holding a legal permit from any state to travel across state lines and still retain the ability to protect him or her self and family. Another interesting result from the illegal confiscation of legally owned firearms following hurricane Katrina is that several states have passed legislation making it illegal for the legally owned weapons to be confiscated especially when looting and crime spike after such disasters. There is a sad video of New Orleans police knocking a frail old woman down to take an old pistol she produced when asked if she had any guns. The people of New Orleans are still fighting with Ray Nagin and the city trying to get the return of their weapons despite several court orders to return them. It is interesting to see that there are only two holdout states that don't have a right to carry law even when so many are "blue" states. Illinois and Wisconsin are the last two holdouts. The Wisconsin law made it out of both houses twice but the governor vetoed it twice. The political engine in Chicago makes it seem unlikely that citizens of Illinois will have the right to protect themselves away from home any time soon. I will have to do more research as to when my resident permit officially "expires" as to residency. Since I was a small child the right to carry following a background check by state police has always been available In my state. I don't think that Indiana has ever been considered a high crime state as a result of that fact. Indiana recently became the first state to offer a lifetime permit. It goes without saying that your record must remain clean! It does however stop the money machine that some states have implemented making you pay large fees every few years to renew your permit. When a nics check can be performed in a matter of minutes any time almost anywhere for no fee at all it seems that such tactics are simply to discourage one from getting a permit.

I try to make it a priority to know as much about the local gun laws anywhere i go

Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,778 times
Boy, am I glad I have a national CCW. Dealing with this stuff on a state by state basis has to be a pain.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM

after a check of available information from the site listed by Ozarks21, it would appear that the state of Missouri will indeed recognize "non-resident" permits issued by other states. I have not been able to verify this with MO. state laws but it is posted as such on the afore mentioned site. I will continue my research to provide a definite answer to my own question!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri