Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 12,304 times

Advertisements

Hi There

Yes it's flat, I grew up there...It's midway between Memphis and St. Louis. The main water is the Mississippi River, but there are some interesting water bodies around. Depends on what you want to do on them...Here are some assorted water links:
Missouri Fishing Lakes
Missouri's Bootheel Wetlands
It's not that far from Lake Wappapello Wappapello Lake
or from Kentucky Lake Kentucky Lake Information and History for that matter.
There's also Horseshoe lake in Illinois not so far away DNR

Towns:
Southeast Missouri Day Trips
seMissourian.com: Newcomers' Guide: Southeast Missouri facts (broken link)

hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 10:18 PM

791 posts, read 1,820,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
40 acres huh. Man I could run from the kids. Who am I kidding I would run about 25 feet and need a nap lol.
LOLOLOL Me too!!! Heck, I can barely walk back up my driveway from getting the mail!!! LOLOLOL ***huff puff huff puff***

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmo View Post
Hi There

Yes it's flat, I grew up there...It's midway between Memphis and St. Louis. The main water is the Mississippi River, but there are some interesting water bodies around. Depends on what you want to do on them...Here are some assorted water links:
Missouri Fishing Lakes
Missouri's Bootheel Wetlands
It's not that far from Lake Wappapello Wappapello Lake
or from Kentucky Lake Kentucky Lake Information and History for that matter.
There's also Horseshoe lake in Illinois not so far away DNR

Towns:
Southeast Missouri Day Trips
seMissourian.com: Newcomers' Guide: Southeast Missouri facts (broken link)

hope this helps
ExPat,

We heard Northbound's take on the area...I'd really like to hear your perspective of the Bootheel area.....especially since you were raised there.

Northbound,

I love how residents are referrred to as 'Bootheelers'. I wish I came from a town that had a name like that for it's residents. hehe Well, actually, the town I was born in does have a name for it's residents...LOL....actually, we have several names, but I'd probably get banned if I mentioned them here. LOLOLOLOL

Self Censored,
Boof

Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,550 times
I think I will check further ......

Anyone familiar with Grafton Illinois ..kinda sounds like that area ..

Will read on the sites that are posted - thanks everyone!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 PM

471 posts, read 1,328,004 times
When I was a little kid I would ride in the truck with my dad when he had a run to memphis. On the way back threw the bootheel he would stop and let me buy as many watermelons and cantelupe as I could afford. Then I would take them home and sell them in my grannys front yard. Made pretty good money in the summer for a little kid. I always thought that the bootheel was part of the deep south. It sure did'nt look like anything I knew to be Missouri.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:23 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,291 times
Smile Bootheel

It seems like a nice, quiet place where a man can live his life full measure. I have heard the girls there are very beautiful, is that true?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM

81 posts, read 377,124 times
I'll 2nd the MOSQUITOS post! LOL. My husband's family grew up/live there and we visit often. You can't even walk outside after dark in the summer without being eaten alive.

Housing is VERY cheap but there's not many jobs either. Farming and trucking seem to be the biggest male source of income or teaching and nursing for women (not to be stereotypical, just what I've observed! LOL).

Love to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. Only because of the limited job opportunities. Nicest folks in the world and prettiest rivers to play on pretty close by.

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO

Old 11-19-2007, 08:02 AM

32 posts, read 194,587 times
I lived in the little town of Cardwell Mo the first half of the 1950s. It is located near the ST Francis River in the bootheel. In Oct 1955 I joined the USN and never returned there until about 43 years later for a short visit.

During that 43 years there seem to be little or no progress as far as growth to speak of. In fact I actually thought that there was less business places in Cardwell than there were when I lived there.

Those who speak of it being an area with very few job opportunities are correct in my opinion. At the time I lived there the main work for many was as farm labor. Of course that was when so many more jobs on the farm was done by hand such as picking the cotton etc.

On my trip back there in 1999 I saw nothing that would give me reason to think that other kinds of jobs had developed in the area. It still looked pretty depressed to me.

I am now living in MS near Jackson, but have been kicking around the idea of moving to either the northeast Arkansas or souther Missouri area around Mamouth Springs Ar or Thayer Mo. Have not definitely made up my mind in exactly what or where. Wife and I are both retired, although the wife does think at times she would like to go back to teaching for a few years.

I wonder if there are any old timers around who remember anything about the boothell area from the 50s? If so it would be interesting to hear something from them.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,291 times
I have heard the girls in the bootheel are exceptionally beautiful. Can anyone verify if this is true?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I have heard the girls in the bootheel are exceptionally beautiful. Can anyone verify if this is true?
My mothers people are from the flatlands east of Poplar Bluff in Butler County. They have been there since before Butler County was platted out... anyway, my grandpa used to tell us that the pretty girls were called "swamp angels", this was when they called it "Swampeast Mo"
To get around to answering your question, yes! I lived there for quite a while, and knew a whole lot of beautiful gals, used to be one myself, when I was a bit younger!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:48 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
I don't live in the bootheel, but I have been there. It's a bit flat for my taste. You'd probably like it there. Poplar Bluff is nice. Not sure if it's exactly in the bootheel or not. It's where we go to get groceries, even though it's half an hour away. Poplar Bluff is partially flat and partially hill. I live NW of Poplar Bluff in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri