Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times

Advertisements

My Coworker/friend and I will be taking a road trip down to Destin Florida. I have never driven there before nor have I been to Destin before, so if anyone has any "must see" spots or route tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

We will be leaving from Joplin, Mo and are so looking forward to getting away from it all this summer. We thought about stopping in Memphis to tour Graceland on our way. We will be leaving on a Sunday, one night stay over then arriving in Destin on Monday. Same on return trip...but leaving on Friday and returning to Joplin the next day.

Any amazing things we should see or routes that are the best? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
We drove Columbia to Destin three years ago. I love road trips too, especially to eat my way through the country. The first place to stop for eating is Memphis. There's a good choice near I-55-- Interstate Barbeque. I prefer Texas and KC to Memphis BBQ but it's done well there. There are several highly-regarded places in Memphis, both for BBQ and meat-and-three, pretty classic southern food. Check out roadfood.com (you can browse under "restaurants" by state and city) for suggestions, or buy the Sterns' book, "Roadfood."

The fastest way was to take US 78 (it's marked I-22 on Google Maps as well as US 78) out of Memphis, but we stayed on I-55 father south until we went east on US 278 to Oxford, Mississippi, home of the University of Mississippi, a lot of William Faulkner stuff, a pretty little downtown, and a pretty wonderful, very well-known funky catfish place a few miles out of town, Taylor Grocery. Pay attention to the directions on the website, especially if you're going at night. We got lost in a really spooky area, but we were really hungry when we got there. The Ole Miss campus is very pretty too.

But going back was even better, because we took a longer detour, west on I-10 to New Orleans, where we've often gone for long weekends.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Your best bet from Joplin is to probably take U.S. 71 south to I-40 at Fort Smith, then take that through Memphis, get on U.S. Highway 78 (soon to become Interstate 22), take that to Birmingham, and you can either go through Mobile or Atlanta from there.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:33 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
...Or you could go down through Vicksburg, Miss., Natchez, La., or even on down to New Orleans. It really just depends upon the kind of things you want to see.

I really enjoyed the food at Charles Vergos' Rendezvous (downtown Memphis) some 25 years ago or so. I wonder if it is still any good? Apparently they are still in business - they have a website: Charles Vergos' Rendezvous :: World Famous Barbecue in Memphis, TN

Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
My Coworker/friend and I will be taking a road trip down to Destin Florida. I have never driven there before nor have I been to Destin before, so if anyone has any "must see" spots or route tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

We will be leaving from Joplin, Mo and are so looking forward to getting away from it all this summer. We thought about stopping in Memphis to tour Graceland on our way. We will be leaving on a Sunday, one night stay over then arriving in Destin on Monday. Same on return trip...but leaving on Friday and returning to Joplin the next day.

Any amazing things we should see or routes that are the best? Thanks!!!

Never pass up a chance to pp.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Never pass up a chance to pp.
Is that pee pee? Or does pp mean something else? LOL But I will say...don't wait to pee..LOL May be long while to next stop.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Is that pee pee? Or does pp mean something else? LOL But I will say...don't wait to pee..LOL May be long while to next stop.

That definitely is Pee Pee....LOL

Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
We drove Columbia to Destin three years ago. I love road trips too, especially to eat my way through the country. The first place to stop for eating is Memphis. There's a good choice near I-55-- Interstate Barbeque. I prefer Texas and KC to Memphis BBQ but it's done well there. There are several highly-regarded places in Memphis, both for BBQ and meat-and-three, pretty classic southern food. Check out roadfood.com (you can browse under "restaurants" by state and city) for suggestions, or buy the Sterns' book, "Roadfood."

The fastest way was to take US 78 (it's marked I-22 on Google Maps as well as US 78) out of Memphis, but we stayed on I-55 father south until we went east on US 278 to Oxford, Mississippi, home of the University of Mississippi, a lot of William Faulkner stuff, a pretty little downtown, and a pretty wonderful, very well-known funky catfish place a few miles out of town, Taylor Grocery. Pay attention to the directions on the website, especially if you're going at night. We got lost in a really spooky area, but we were really hungry when we got there. The Ole Miss campus is very pretty too.

But going back was even better, because we took a longer detour, west on I-10 to New Orleans, where we've often gone for long weekends.
Thanks! New Orleans sounds fun. I've never been there either. I need to get out more Yea I got lost in KC...thought 71 would go straight through to our destination (WRONG) ended up on prospect! Scary! Any tolls I Should be prepared for?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
This is a great website for finding things to do/places of interest along your route: Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions There is also an App ($2.99 + additional for regions) from iTunes.

I've made the MO-FL drive more times than I care to count. But never the way you'll be starting out.

I try to avoid stopping overnight in the Memphis/Tupelo areas and try to at least make central MS or if I'm going through Alabama then to well S. of Birmingham. The night drive if not on the interstates is very dark 2 lane hwy so pick your routes carefully and accordingly.

Check the routes for road construction ahead of time and download the appropriate Safetravel 511 Apps. if you have a smart phone. Frankly, given the time of year and the storms I'd suggest traveling with a NOAA weather radio or similar (some weather Apps. have this radio feature).

Lots of FLHP on I-10, it really does not pay to try to speed in the panhandle.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Go to Springfield and then down through West Plains Mo to Jonesboro Ark and then to West Memphis and then down I-55. About 16 miles of curvy hilly mountains but a shorter route with some scenic as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri