Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times

Advertisements

And please, this topic has been discussed to death, almost to the point where these threads are started to provoke wars. We haven't beaten a dead horse at this point...now we're mauling.one.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:14 PM

543 posts, read 855,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Jefferson County is kind of the beginning of the transition zone from Midwest to South. It identifies more as Midwestern for sure, but there is no denying that some Southern influences begin appearing there.
Agree. You feel it more once you get into St. Francois county though. There there is more southern influence than Jefferson county. Like you see in jefferson you can notice it some, once you get furthern south and deeper into Jefferson county. Arnold for example does not have southern influence. Once you get down to the southern half there is more. but then when you go SE then you hit Midwestern again.

Missouri is a odd state.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:16 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Kansas City is solidly Midwestern. As is Jeff City. The upper boundary of the midwest-south transition zone needs to be shifted at least two counties to the south in most areas. I also think the Dixie area is too far north in some places Joplin and Springfield to me lie more along the transition zone than Dixie.
Jefferson City is in the transition zone IMO between the Midwest and upland South.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Jefferson City is in the transition zone IMO between the Midwest and upland South.
Topographically, maybe...the Ozark foothills start in JC, but the culture does not. Jefferson City every time I have been there felt like it was barely inside the southern tip of the Midwest region. It is south of there where it begins to noticeably lose some of the Midwestern element to it. Going towards the Lake of the Ozarks on U.S. 54, Missouri starts to assume a fairly mixed identity.

Last edited by stlouisan; 10-15-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 12:27 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Topographically, maybe. Culturally, no.
Topographically definitely. Culturally it is only Midwest because of the capitol and higher educational attainment levels. Southwest of that area, Eldon, is solidly upland South town.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Topographically definitely. Culturally it is only Midwest because of the capitol and higher educational attainment levels. Southwest of that area, Eldon, is solidly upland South town.
Eldon is not a Southern town, sorry. Culturally, it is still well within the transition zone. Jefferson City is a big city. Eldon is not. Topographically, Eldon is the upland South. Culturally it is just not. Eldon was too mixed in identity to classify, as is much of Southern Missouri. It doesn't just go from Midwest to South in the blink of an eye. The true South lies well below Eldon.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Jefferson City is not topographically Southern either. It is literally right where the topographic south and Midwest collide.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM

This is my cultural map of Missouri that I finally drew. Forgive the bad handwriting...this was done with a touchpad and I don't have an operational mouse currently. Double click on it for a MUCH bigger view.
Attached Thumbnails
My map of Midwest/South in Missouri!-missouri.png  

Old 10-15-2011, 01:52 PM

543 posts, read 855,472 times
I would put the south line At Cape Girardeau though because it can lean either way, and IMO should be the start of Dixie.

Also I would take Ste Gen, out of the mix. It's midwestern.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
I would put the south line At Cape Girardeau though because it can lean either way, and IMO should be the start of Dixie.

Also I would take Ste Gen, out of the mix. It's midwestern.
I put the south line at Cape Girardeau, at least I think I did. Ste. Genevieve is Midwestern...if I didn't include it in the transition zone you can feel free to change that My Midwest-South transition zone indicates that anything that falls into this zone can't be classified as either southern or midwestern...they are both. Other than that, this is a perfect map of what I consider to be a state that is Midwestern with southern influences...75% Midwest, 25% south=overall, Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri