Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times

Advertisements

Missoula has pluses and minuses for different people. It is not predominantly conservative, that cheap a place or likely to see you get rich.

But it is one of the few small cities in the mountain west with a full sized University and enough city to satisfy those that don't want or need a bigger city.

It appeals to some. If you like what it is and accept what it isn't, it could work ok to fine. Not perfect. Not bad compared to the alternatives either, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 12:57 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
I like the place. Anywhere with a Costco and a REI across the street can't be too bad. Sure wish something could be done about the traffic on Reserve Street. I've learned to avoid that area at certain times of the day.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM

There are a lot of YouTube videos of Missoula in general and for specific neighborhoods if you want to get familiar with the look of place. Looks aren't everything but it is a start.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:20 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I like the place. Anywhere with a Costco and a REI across the street can't be too bad. Sure wish something could be done about the traffic on Reserve Street. I've learned to avoid that area at certain times of the day.

Last time I was in Missoula in the winter time, Reserve was still a nightmare on a Tuesday at 11am in February. It was quite strange. If I were to move there, I'd find a place where my daily route to work avoided Reserve.

Other than that, I really like Missoula. It was a second home to me for about four years.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:35 AM

8,037 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I lived in Stevensville and worked in Missoula for a couple of years.

From my experience there:

Property, homes, and rent are expensive compared to the employment available, unless you are in healthcare or can get into the government or school system there. There is not a lot of industry. There are a lot of retail/service type lower paying jobs.

I found it to be surprisingly liberal over all. Yes, people can hunt, fish, own guns, eat barbeque, drive pick-up trucks, and vote Democratic.

It has a definite college town feel due to the University there. People are very loyal to and supportive the university and their football team the "Griz".

Reserve street is bad traffic wise because there really IS not any other practical route around it. It was a real trial to go shopping, etc. down that road at times.

This was a decade ago, so they may have made some improvements to Reserve Street, I don't know.

It's a beautiful place, but seemed very isolated, kind of insulated, from the rest of the "world". It that's what you're looking for, it may be a good place for you.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:54 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Missoula has pluses and minuses for different people. It is not predominantly conservative, that cheap a place or likely to see you get rich.

But it is one of the few small cities in the mountain west with a full sized University and enough city to satisfy those that don't want or need a bigger city.

It appeals to some. If you like what it is and accept what it isn't, it could work ok to fine. Not perfect. Not bad compared to the alternatives either, imo.
... . Just on a whim, I thought I'd randomly go through some older threads about Missoula, since
I just, 2 days ago (Friday), spent 7 hours away from my home down in the Bitterroot going to Missoula to do some shopping and get various errands handled.....approx one hour eachway totally 111 miles.
Being in my late 80s and retired for approx 26 years, I may avg approxr 6 trips per year into Missoula.....Re-reading the above post made me realize it is an excellent summation of my feelings of Missoula.

My first exposure to Missoula was the result of a business trip from my home in the mountains of Colorado, that resulted in my landing at MSO some time in the 3rd week in May of 1975 via Frontier A L. ..I had never been to Missoula before and I liked what I saw!
The next day I rented a 4WD vehicle that would serve the purpose of getting me to the decommissioned BLACKBIRD COLBALT MINE up in the mountains southwest of Salmon Idaho for a meeting with a couple of engineers related to a proposed project my employer would be bidding on.

As I drove through the Bitterroot Valley the next day I was impressed with the various attractive aspects of the valley between Missoula and Sula. I spent the night at BUD & SHIRLEY'S MOTEL in Darby and proceded on to the Blackbird Mine the next day.

Long story short........approx 12 months later I ended up buying 14 acres on a creek that feeds into the B R River about 13 miles outside of Hamilton.........built my future retirement home in 1980 and continued working for 40 yrs, until the end of 1993. My late wife (married 51 yrs), loved living in the Bitterroot as much as I do,......and I will continue to live here until the end.............

Funny how a positive impression of Missoula back in May 1975,.......a day's drive down through the Bitterroot and a 'spare of the moment' meeting with a Realtor, resulted in moving to western Montana in early 1980, taking a year to build our retirement home and:.....'Never Look Back'.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times
I enjoyed reading your post! When my husband retires in the next year or two, we’ll be moving to the Missoula area, as I have family up there. The cost of real estate carries a lot of sticker shock, in comparison to Kansas. We have forty acres here and obviously sacrifices will have to be made. I just started collecting online information this eventing. I’d rather live in a rural setting, but am going to investigate small towns near Missoula, too. Thanks for the lovely post.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:50 PM

Rural areas / small townlets in all directions beginning after 5-15 miles from Missoula. South may be the more expensive direction.
Pick from farm / ranch land to forest or a mix.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:33 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
... . Just on a whim, I thought I'd randomly go through some older threads about Missoula, since
I just, 2 days ago (Friday), spent 7 hours away from my home down in the Bitterroot going to Missoula to do some shopping and get various errands handled.....approx one hour eachway totally 111 miles.
Being in my late 80s and retired for approx 26 years, I may avg approxr 6 trips per year into Missoula.....Re-reading the above post made me realize it is an excellent summation of my feelings of Missoula.

My first exposure to Missoula was the result of a business trip from my home in the mountains of Colorado, that resulted in my landing at MSO some time in the 3rd week in May of 1975 via Frontier A L. ..I had never been to Missoula before and I liked what I saw!
The next day I rented a 4WD vehicle that would serve the purpose of getting me to the decommissioned BLACKBIRD COLBALT MINE up in the mountains southwest of Salmon Idaho for a meeting with a couple of engineers related to a proposed project my employer would be bidding on.

As I drove through the Bitterroot Valley the next day I was impressed with the various attractive aspects of the valley between Missoula and Sula. I spent the night at BUD & SHIRLEY'S MOTEL in Darby and proceded on to the Blackbird Mine the next day.

Long story short........approx 12 months later I ended up buying 14 acres on a creek that feeds into the B R River about 13 miles outside of Hamilton.........built my future retirement home in 1980 and continued working for 40 yrs, until the end of 1993. My late wife (married 51 yrs), loved living in the Bitterroot as much as I do,......and I will continue to live here until the end.............

Funny how a positive impression of Missoula back in May 1975,.......a day's drive down through the Bitterroot and a 'spare of the moment' meeting with a Realtor, resulted in moving to western Montana in early 1980, taking a year to build our retirement home and:.....'Never Look Back'.

I was so happy to see a post from our Bitterroot Valley expert and resident, Griz, because we haven't heard from him lately. But then I realized that the post is almost a year old. Does anybody know if he is okay?

Old 07-12-2020, 03:30 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I was so happy to see a post from our Bitterroot Valley expert and resident, Griz, because we haven't heard from him lately. But then I realized that the post is almost a year old. Does anybody know if he is okay?
It has been a lot time since he posted. Hopefully nothing is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula