Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:28 PM

1,082 posts, read 832,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
So you spent less than a month in a city of 72k and have declared the entire city unfriendly? I'm calling bull****.

You don't have a purple mohawk or anything do you?
Call bull**** on what exactly? It doesn't take a high IQ to spend three weeks in a place, work a job, and figure out some stuff about the culture and the demographics. Hell, it only takes a day to deem a place unfriendly if one has any intuition and people sense about anything. But hey, enjoy it.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Both Missoula and Bozeman have been ruined by the Universities there. The people who work at those Universities are some of the most liberal you will ever meet. I have been to both towns school shopping for the kids, many, many times. Just walking through the mall, you can see the types of people who live there.

While in Missoula, I got tired of walking in the mall and decided to take our truck to get an alignment to kill time. A brand new GMC 1500 4x4 pulls up, lift kit, 20 inch chrome wheels with off-road tires, front push bumper, not a speck of dirt on the thing. This slender man in his 30's jumps out, wearing dress shoes, tight jeans, a dress shirt, beard, man bun, with a man purse on his shoulder. I laughed so hard that the service rep walked over, tapped me on the shoulder, and told me that the guy comes in every couple of months complaining of vibrations in his steering wheel. They tried to explain to him that driving that truck, he is going to feel vibrations, but he has them check the alignment, balance the tires anyway. The service rep explained that he guy was a professor at UM. Hopefully one day he will sell that truck to someone who will use it for it's intended purpose.
This is epic and very telling. I laughed out loud. I'll just

Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,304 times
Dunno. I like Missoula. Probably wouldn't live there, not because of the area but the proximity to my inlaws and a few co-workers I don't want to be around. Maybe when they retire and leave town...

Anyhow, I've found it to be fairly friendly. Yes, there's a ton of lefties and retired 30 year olds hanging out downtown but that's anywhere. Get out of downtown, or out of Missoula proper and you'll do okay.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:30 PM

347 posts, read 521,233 times
All the bigger towns in Montana, with the exception of Great Falls, are starting to be overrun by leftist, hipster, nutcases. Billings is starting to get this way too. I'm glad I'm leaving.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
All the bigger towns in Montana, with the exception of Great Falls, are starting to be overrun by leftist, hipster, nutcases. Billings is starting to get this way too. I'm glad I'm leaving.
So if you keep leaving, they'll keep coming. Is the plan to find a private town that is walled?

Old 06-15-2017, 09:51 PM

347 posts, read 521,233 times
Quote:
So if you keep leaving, they'll keep coming. Is the plan to find a private town that is walled?
I understand what you are saying and it's a legitimate point. I should make it clear that I'm moving to a different location in Montana because I got a better job with better pay. I would have been more than happy to stay in this area, but I got a better opportunity somewhere else.

I'll also say that in my experience, it's the areas that rely more on blue-collar industries that tend to be less vulnerable to being taken over by the leftist, hipster nutcases that have taken over Missoula, Bozeman, and are starting to do the same in Billings. I'm not an expert on Missoula, but I guess at one time, it had serious industry that supplied several middle class jobs....but unfortunately, those days are gone. Billings has the oil industry, which is a good thing......but the leftist, hipster, pro-men-going-into-women's-bathrooms crowd is getting stronger here.....and if the oil industry goes into serious decline, Billings could go the way of Missoula and Bozeman.

OK, sorry about the tangent, to address your post specifically, no, I'm not going to a private town that's walled off from everything else. LOL! But I am going to a place that is less prone to being taken over by leftist, hipster, nutcases, and I'm pretty happy about that.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:37 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,372 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying and it's a legitimate point. I should make it clear that I'm moving to a different location in Montana because I got a better job with better pay. I would have been more than happy to stay in this area, but I got a better opportunity somewhere else.

I'll also say that in my experience, it's the areas that rely more on blue-collar industries that tend to be less vulnerable to being taken over by the leftist, hipster nutcases that have taken over Missoula, Bozeman, and are starting to do the same in Billings. I'm not an expert on Missoula, but I guess at one time, it had serious industry that supplied several middle class jobs....but unfortunately, those days are gone. Billings has the oil industry, which is a good thing......but the leftist, hipster, pro-men-going-into-women's-bathrooms crowd is getting stronger here.....and if the oil industry goes into serious decline, Billings could go the way of Missoula and Bozeman.

OK, sorry about the tangent, to address your post specifically, no, I'm not going to a private town that's walled off from everything else. LOL! But I am going to a place that is less prone to being taken over by leftist, hipster, nutcases, and I'm pretty happy about that.
Thanks for clarifying. I only spent about two years in Kalispell and it took me that long to tease out the "vibe" so I'm fairly ignorant of MT outside the Flathead Valley.

Leftist hipsters are basically a modern wave of Spanish conquistadors. They believe the savage white rednecks and hicks are incapable of cultivating and managing the precious resources they inherited and fought for. They see them as primitive and unlearned. Therefore, assuming their superior intelligence and superior vision for a better world, they conquer by means of economic and cultural and political warfare. They will take over "quaint" towns by buying up real estate and converting stores to hipster-friendly venues. They increase real estate prices, displacing the locals economically. Then they bring in more settlers who share their ideology. They eventually form a dominant political activist force (typically backed by wealth) and begin to enact political control to further their ideology and to exterminate the primitive tribal rites of the locals (hunting/trapping/gun rights/rural values). Sadly in most cases, the locals usually flee rather than fight.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Dunno. I like Missoula. Probably wouldn't live there, not because of the area but the proximity to my inlaws and a few co-workers I don't want to be around. Maybe when they retire and leave town...

Anyhow, I've found it to be fairly friendly. Yes, there's a ton of lefties and retired 30 year olds hanging out downtown but that's anywhere. Get out of downtown, or out of Missoula proper and you'll do okay.
Not so much. Welived on the valley 45 minutes outside of Missoula. It' been over run, believe me.

Quote:
Quote:
Nope, they already ARE coming...we are leaving because they and the mentality is already there. No matter....I'm gone and couldn't be happier.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:18 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
... It doesn't take a high IQ to spend three weeks in a place, work a job, and figure out some stuff about the culture and the demographics....
Ironic that you would say this.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:35 PM

11 posts, read 40,917 times
It's pretty clear which folks are judgemental and unfriendly in this situation. Maybe if you wiped the disgust off your face of having to deal with people that aren't exactly like you, you would find that a lot of people with all sorts of backgrounds and points of view are quite friendly. As it is, you'll dehumanize everyone that lives or thinks differently than you and continue to blame all of your social isolation on everyone but yourself. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula