Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 PM

37 posts, read 133,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Actually, that's pretty much the epitomy of racism. When you seek to deny people a benefit or right solely due to their race, that is the very definition of racism. When you say "no race mixing" then you are, by definition, seeking to deny rights and privileges to people based solely on their race - in this case, due to their differences in skin color.

It's called anti-miscegenation and most of us even in the very backward Mississippi got past that decades ago. Frankly, I have more friends here in mixed race marriages than in so called "traditional" relationships.

Mixed race kids are almost always gorgeous. Perhaps this is why some folks have a problem with it? Makes it harder for their inbred slack jawed kids to compete...
I agree....that previous poster doesn't believe in race mixing, yet he's thinks he's not a racist. He'll probably be the first to deny you the right to marry someone you love. I wish you success with your beautiful companion & family.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,599,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windhoek7 View Post
And I never said there hasn't been racism or intolerance up North (you think I said that) so giving a history of racial conflict in the north means nothing to me.
Quote:
I think you're building a straw man. I agree that the poster is a little "overly concerned" about this particular area, but don't you think he/or she is bringing up a legitimate concern based on the HISTORY of the area?
Yet you still feel safe in the North. If a history of racial conflict in the North means nothing to you, then why does it warrant legitimate concern for your safety in Mississippi? You contradicted yourself and proved my point at the same time. Thank you.

I never thought you said there hasn't been racism or intolerance up North. My point is that Mississippi is still judged by its history where other states are not.

Last edited by jhadorn; 10-22-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HHI View Post
Again, to repeat myself, I don't believe mixed relationships are widely accepted anywhere, MS or WI, and if you think they are, perhaps your head is buried in the sand. You will see more of it in Madison, which of course, you will see more of everything in that liberal hell hole.
Milwaukee and WI as a whole are known for being some of the most segregated areas around. It is documented that blacks fair far worse here in terms of getting mortgages, jobs, or moving up the corporate ladder.
I don't see racism in MS anywhere near the extend of WI. In MS, everyone lives next to one another, not like Milwaukee with its almost exclusive lilly white suburbs. MS has more black elected officials than any other state...not bad for such a segregated society. Furthermore, not only could WI take a lesson from MS on race relations, but it may want to consider how MS garners high paying jobs, like two new auto plants in just a few years. WI could not get an industry like that to move in to save its soul, they can't even keep the ones they have.
Finally, I do not believe in mixing the races for dating/marrying, ie: black and white. PERIOD. There are plenty of people who feel this way, not just in MS or WI, and it doesn't make us bigots or racist. I want to be friendly with my boss...but never friends.
Wisconsin has seen challenges over the last two decades---massive manufacturing job loss, huge in migration of unskilled African-Americans from poverty riddled Chicago, and job competition from legal & illegal immigrants flooding the state. Although whites suffered also, blacks were far more disproportionately affected by manufacturing job loss. I think all those factors better explain why Wisconsin blacks are behind many states economically......not your belief that the state is denying blacks economic opportunity.

My family has been here for generations. We're doing quite well along with a large number of other black families in the state. Contrary to belief, Milwaukee still has a vibrant black middle-class. Neighborhoods of black & white families, living side by side, still exist in the city. The same is true for Madison. The city has black businesses, city council & university board members, and a black chief of police. For a city & state that's only 6% African-American, I think those accomplishments are pretty good. Wisconsin sent a black member to the US House of Representatives. How many black house reps does Mississippi have with its 35% African American population?

Wisconsin doesn't need economic lessons from Mississippi. Sad to say, your capital city is losing population & jobs. And don't let me start on Mississippi indicators like poverty (2nd poorest next to New Mexico) low wages & low high-school graduation rates--not a good recipe for a vibrant economy. Although Wisc has been hit by recession, Madison still is a wealthy community with high growth rates & low unemployment. Actually, many African-Americans are moving up here from the south, including Mississippi. So you can have your two auto plants--they'll probably move to China next year anyways.

You don't believe in race mixing, yet you don't consider yourself a racist or a bigot? Who are you to know if race mixing is not widely accepted anywhere, when you don't believe in race mixing in the first place? Or do you just think its widely accepted in "liberal hell holes" like Madison? I'm confused. I didn't know the political bent of a city dictates whether two people should love each other. Anyways, you can continue to waddle in the company of racists & bigots like yourself....while the majority of us will continue to move into the 21st Century where love, not the color of a person's skin, dictates relationships.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Yet you still feel safe in the North. If a history of racial conflict in the North means nothing to you, then why does it warrant legitimate concern for your safety in Mississippi? You contradicted yourself and proved my point at the same time. Thank you.

I never thought you said there hasn't been racism or intolerance up North. My point is that Mississippi is still judged by its history where other states are not.
Mississippi is still judged by it's history because racial conflict & unfortunate events occurred more recently their than the events that occurred up north over 100 years ago. Many individuals who suffered from those events in the South are still alive today. Now, do you see the difference?

.......and you shouldn't joke around or get offended by a person who was just a little "overly concerned" about visiting Mississippi. Maybe that person, or their relatives suffered thru past events in MS. Who knows. But you can't flat out deny their concerns are legitimate. I just have a little more understanding of people.
My response had nothing to do with me & or my safety concerns in Ms. I lived in Arkansas for almost a year and visited Mississippi many times. (You conveniently didn't read that part of my post) My mother has rental property in South Haven.

So nice try with the contradiction part....but my advise to you is to take the chip off your shoulder regarding any criticism of Mississippi.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 PM

783 posts, read 2,268,957 times
You're kidding, right? I was born in Ypsilanti Michigan in 1962. I was three years old when the riots were happening there and I STILL remember them because my folks used to talk about how afraid they were driving to and from work every day. They were a very recent memory when I was nine and ten years old and I recall vividly my dad and uncle talking about how they would drive home through Detroit without ever stopping for a light. My bro and I just recently shot up the last of the 00 buckshot my dad bought for his 12ga back then. At the time we lived thirty miles from Detroit but because Detroit is where the jobs were it affected pretty much everyone in southeastern michigan.

Now, let's visit Michigan State circa 1990 or so when they were STILL having racial problems on campus. We'll round up this part of the tour by taking a visit to Los Angeles, the scene of no less than TWO race based riots in about the same span of years. While I do hear people voice fear of venturing into los angeles, it's usually nto because they fear being lynched or gunned down simply because of their skin color. And despite the HUGE (and apparently still growing) neo-white-power "militia" movement in states like Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin I rarely hear people express fear of visiting those places.

Mississippians suffer from racial intolerance, economic intolerance, and ignorance based in fear every day... unfortunately, most of that is directed toward us from people who don't live here and never have visited here, much less lived here.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,793,002 times
yes it is dangerous the roulette wheels will suck your wallet dry in a jiffy. if you get 80 bucks ahead they will send over the manager and start switching dealers like crazy.
the color of money is always the same, green --friend and the beast is honry.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,422,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Actually, that's pretty much the epitomy of racism. When you seek to deny people a benefit or right solely due to their race, that is the very definition of racism. When you say "no race mixing" then you are, by definition, seeking to deny rights and privileges to people based solely on their race - in this case, due to their differences in skin color.

It's called anti-miscegenation and most of us even in the very backward Mississippi got past that decades ago. Frankly, I have more friends here in mixed race marriages than in so called "traditional" relationships.

Mixed race kids are almost always gorgeous. Perhaps this is why some folks have a problem with it? Makes it harder for their inbred slack jawed kids to compete...

Oh man! You got that one right!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Mississippi is still judged by it's history because racial conflict & unfortunate events occurred more recently their than the events that occurred up north over 100 years ago. Many individuals who suffered from those events in the South are still alive today. Now, do you see the difference?

.......and you shouldn't joke around or get offended by a person who was just a little "overly concerned" about visiting Mississippi. Maybe that person, or their relatives suffered thru past events in MS. Who knows. But you can't flat out deny their concerns are legitimate. I just have a little more understanding of people.
My response had nothing to do with me & or my safety concerns in Ms. I lived in Arkansas for almost a year and visited Mississippi many times. (You conveniently didn't read that part of my post) My mother has rental property in South Haven.

So nice try with the contradiction part....but my advise to you is to take the chip off your shoulder regarding any criticism of Mississippi.
No chip on my shoulder. I just point out unfair criticism when I see it, regardless of who or what is being criticized. Maybe you don't understand people as well as you think you do if you are judging the people of a state based on events that happened nearly 50 years ago.

As for recent history, do you not understand the same events happened in the same time frame in the North? People alive today experienced this racial conflict.

Let me put it in perspective. From 1950 to the mid 1970's there were many race riots in Chicago. In Los Angeles, there was the 1965 Watts riot and the Rodney King riot of 1992... yes, 1992. What about the Detroit 12th Street Riot in 1967, or the Philadelphia race riot of 1964? How about the Cambridge, Maryland race riot of 1963, New York City in 1964, Buffalo in 1967, Newark in 1967, Minneapolis in 1967, or maybe Milwaukee in 1967, then reffered to as "the most segregated city in the nation". Yes, Milwaukee is in Wisconsin, the mecca of racial peace and prosperity. I could go on...

Still think the racial conflict in the North or the rest of the country was more than 100 years ago?

Last edited by jhadorn; 10-23-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
No chip on my shoulder. I just point out unfair criticism when I see it, regardless of who or what is being criticized. Maybe you don't understand people as well as you think you do if you are judging the people of a state based on events that happened nearly 50 years ago.

As for recent history, do you not understand the same events happened in the same time frame in the North? People alive today experienced this racial conflict.

Let me put it in perspective. From 1950 to the mid 1970's there were many race riots in Chicago. In Los Angeles, there was the 1965 Watts riot and the Rodney King riot of 1992... yes, 1992. What about the Detroit 12th Street Riot in 1967, or the Philadelphia race riot of 1964? How about the Cambridge, Maryland race riot of 1963, New York City in 1964, Buffalo in 1967, Newark in 1967, Minneapolis in 1967, or maybe Milwaukee in 1967, then reffered to as "the most segregated city in the nation". Yes, Milwaukee is in Wisconsin, the mecca of racial peace and prosperity. I could go on...

Still think the racial conflict in the North or the rest of the country was more than 100 years ago?
Sorry if I confused you with what I meant by racial conflict.

I guess you don't see the difference between government sanctioned violence & discrimination (which happened in Mississippi), and just plain old criminal behavior like rioting (which occurred in many northern cities). Believe me...many of the 60s rioters were punished, put in jail, or shot & killed by the police.

You should add to your history knowledge, the 1920s White led Tulsa Race Riot which practically destroyed the vibrant black community of Greenwood (Called the "black wall street" at the time) Not only did local authorities fail to offer protection, and ALLOW the community to burn down, some authorities actually participated in the riot. That's an example of "government sanctioned" violence against its citizens. And I bet you'll find less extreme cases of this in Mississippi's history.

On the other hand, criminals in the Milwaukee & Detroit Riots burned down a few white owned liquor & dry cleaning businesses, but they never went out to the suburbs burning homes & attacking & killing every white person they ran into.

Mississippi ALLOWED lynching. Mississippi enforced Jim Crow laws, anti-miscegenation laws & separate public accommodation laws. That's what I'm talking about...those things haven't existed in most parts of the north for over a hundred years.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I confused you with what I meant by racial conflict.

I guess you don't see the difference between government sanctioned violence & discrimination (which happened in Mississippi), and just plain old criminal behavior like rioting (which occurred in many northern cities). Believe me...many of the 60s rioters were punished, put in jail, or shot & killed by the police.

You should add to your history knowledge, the 1920s White led Tulsa Race Riot which practically destroyed the vibrant black community of Greenwood (Called the "black wall street" at the time) Not only did local authorities fail to offer protection, and ALLOW the community to burn down, some authorities actually participated in the riot. That's an example of "government sanctioned" violence against its citizens. And I bet you'll find less extreme cases of this in Mississippi's history.

On the other hand, criminals in the Milwaukee & Detroit Riots burned down a few white owned liquor & dry cleaning businesses, but they never went out to the suburbs burning homes & attacking & killing every white person they ran into.

Mississippi ALLOWED lynching. Mississippi enforced Jim Crow laws, anti-miscegenation laws & separate public accommodation laws. That's what I'm talking about...those things haven't existed in most parts of the north for over a hundred years.
You should really learn your history.... State sanctioned Jim Crow laws existed in 42 states, and African Americans were lynched in 37 states between the years of 1882-1962.

Just admit it, Mississippi isn't the only state with a history of racial conflict, and spin it however you want if it makes you sleep better at night, but this is 2009 and Mississippi doesn't deserve the stereotypes it has tried so hard to overcome. Stereotypes based on events long passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi