Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 21,717 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the Tupelo area from a small town in Indiana. My children are in Elementary School and have never been around African Americans. I hope that doesn't sound rude, but I'm being honest. I'm worried they won't fit in. They go to a school that is 100% white with a free and reduced school lunch % at 2%. The only thing around here is cornfields and farm tractors. My husband works with Toyota, and might have to go to Mississippi. Looking for good small towns around that area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,470 times
Default Midwest

Actually, YOU are more likely to receive a "cold shoulder" than African-Americans. I know my MS relatives are about over the influx of Midwesterners.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM

25 posts, read 107,161 times
I wouldnt worry about your kids not being accepted in school by blacks down here. In my experiences, blacks are more open and accepting than whites. : )

Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM

114 posts, read 602,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1231 View Post
We are looking to relocate to the Tupelo area from a small town in Indiana. My children are in Elementary School and have never been around African Americans. I hope that doesn't sound rude, but I'm being honest. I'm worried they won't fit in. They go to a school that is 100% white with a free and reduced school lunch % at 2%. The only thing around here is cornfields and farm tractors. My husband works with Toyota, and might have to go to Mississippi. Looking for good small towns around that area. Any suggestions?
Tupelo is not a bad place to live at all!! I don't live there (I live an hour south) but sometimes wish I did. There are plenty of decent restaurants, good shopping, and nice housing areas. Native Mississipians can sometimes be VERY cliquish (as if they are somehow better than the people moving in, go figure), but from what I've heard, that's not a huge issue in Tupelo.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1231 View Post
I lived near Tupelo and hated every minute of it. The schools in Tupelo are mediocre at best, and Tupelo's restaurant scene is merely chain restaurants. The big thing to do in town is go to the mall. Tupelo is isolated, the small towns around there are dumpy, and summers are miserably hot. You're 100 miles from the nearest big city (Memphis) so good luck if you need to be near a good airport or like to go to concerts, big time sporting events, or the symphony. And I find the attitude of the people around there to be very provincial, as if Tupelo were the pinnacle of fine living. I guess compared to the rest of Mississippi Tupelo is a wonder land, but compared to everywhere else I've ever lived, I was definitely not impressed. I'm really sorry to be so negative.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 38,883 times
Wonderful area to relocate to! If you want a small town, try Potts Camp or Holly Springs. Nothing but down-to-earth people, and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Between Holly Springs and Potts Camp is a great place to live. The Mary Reed, or the whole Potts Camp school district is a wonderful place to send your children. Just about everyone who's attended school there, says that the school(s) were exceptional.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 9,540 times
I have lived in Tupelo, MS for over 20 years, but was raised in upstate NY, which was a lot like where you're from. My husband and I raised our family here, and it's been a great town for them. The school system in Tupelo is great (high test scores, very moral and caring teachers, great extracurricular activities) and my girls have gone on to obtain college and advanced degrees. The cultural and racial diversity was an asset for them. We live in a global world, which is resulting in a more diverse country. If given the opportunity to grow up with those different from us, we learn to respect those differences, which is imperative for our own success, as well as for societal peace. Tupelo has grown a lot and will obviously continue to do so with the location of the Toyota plant. I have also found the Tupelo people to be very accepting of me, in spite of my "Yankee-ness." In addition, Tupelo is only minutes from the future Toyota plant!

Last edited by Marka; 04-20-2007 at 02:30 AM..

Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM

48 posts, read 67,291 times
You know, while much of what you said i disagree with, this is actually true.
But, you can makes friends ...and act the same way! You can make friends, the people are nice.

Of all the places i lived a kid its the one place my Mom cried when she left... my parents loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And I find the attitude of the people around there to be very provincial, as if Tupelo were the pinnacle of fine living.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 14,438 times
Talking Tupelo schools

I was sorry to see how negative JMT was about the area, and Mississippi in general. Actually, if one checks the Mississippi Department of Education test score web site, one can check ALL district scoring and see how the school ranks not only in the state, but also nationally. Tupelo does very well, actually. At any rate if looking for certain types of entertainment and dining, a small town here, or anywhere, would not be an answer to happiness. However, Tupelo does have its charms.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:58 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
Actually, YOU are more likely to receive a "cold shoulder" than African-Americans. I know my MS relatives are about over the influx of Midwesterners.
Uh-oh - then maybe they shouldn't have courted the new Toyota plant! We are also midwesterners, currently living in KY, that might be given a relocation to the new plant in MS.

Toyota is all about hiring locally, but there will certainly be a big influx of current employees (and experts) from the midwest, KY, California, Canada, and of course Japan.

Maybe we will have to keep this attitude in mind when offered the position there. We were under the impression that Mississippi was welcoming the growth and diversity of a large corporation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi