Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:52 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,624,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Sherman, MS. Not far from Tupelo.
I am shocked there's actually a town in Mississippi called Sherman.

I had to re-read your post. I thought I had mis-read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:50 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Around here the word Yankee can, indeed, be a mild insult. It is meant to describe someone who is argumentative, pugnacious, combative, truculent, or narrow in their views, even if that person is from the south.
Or, in special cases, he may just be a member of a baseball team.

But I would not use such a word to describe you. Someone who becomes "sad" or "discouraged" in this situation could be more accurately described as supercilious.
Nonsense

Old 01-06-2016, 09:53 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotting the Globe View Post
I personally like MS. I wonder what part of the state some Mississippians would recommend for me to live.
I am interested in the Deep South rural lifestyle.
There are many nice places in MS.

Rural, and warm weather, without high city costs, try George county.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:20 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times
So the Cafe du Monde moved from New Orleans?

The word Yankee ain't no mild insult, it's the worst thing you could ever, ever call someone (other than a lying yellow dog Yankee, which is reserved for the worst of the worst).

Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,412,283 times
I've lived in Mississippi most of my life, so I've come to accept it for what it is. There are times when I get the itch to move elsewhere, but there's also things about the state that makes it hard to pull away from. The cost of living is low, the food is great, and the people are are very friendly. Some of the cons are being too hot in the summer, the job opportunities are not the greatest, and not progressive enough. Not necessarily progressive in a political ideology, but leadership tend not to want to move the state forward.

P.S. Football is a very big plus! You don't have to declare allegiance to Ole Miss or MSU like you do in Alabama with Alabama and Auburn, but it is intense. The UM/MSU rivalry doesn't do much for me since I'm a USM and Florida Gators fan, but I respect it for what it is.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 17,776 times
I always love the DEEP South, I guess is in my DNA as my father's family on his mother's side had settled I the are of the Delta of the Mighty Mississippi when the French vessels landed in the area that is now New Orleans.

Dad LOVED ALABAMA, LOUISIANA and The Capitol City of Mississippi, I have there a couple of times and fell in LOVE with everything there including its very poor but LOVELY PEOPLE.

I even bought a Foreclosed house at Auction on the computer, I know that SOUTH JACKSON is CRIME RIDDEN but so was THE BRONX, HARLEM, BROOKLYN, HARRISBURG ( Philadelphia ) and CAMDEN NJ.

Bad places can improve, at least prices are the LOWEST ANYWHERE, I am a PONEER WOMAN, not afraid of abandoned homes. someone has to start going there and bring back the neighborhood !

I hope I can meet someone from Jackson as I know NOBODY THERE !

MiriamEtienne

at American on line

Old 02-11-2016, 01:34 PM

24 posts, read 38,902 times
It's a great place. Has not been ruined yet, by "multiculturalism" or a complete yankee takeover.

The place still has a feeling and culture - at least for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi