Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 06:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Yeah it was on the bigger end.
I couldn’t tote a 15 gallon jug.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 07:08 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xHvcWxE68

Old 09-07-2019, 11:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Not really relevant to the story itself, but I always consider us the "mid-south" (N.E. MS including Memphis) rather than "deep south". How can you ignore it when every commercial operation is called "mid-south..." (Mid South BBQ, Mid South Motors, Mid South AC repair).

I know what everyone is thinking - "who cares Dd714!"

Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not really relevant to the story itself, but I always consider us the "mid-south" (N.E. MS including Memphis) rather than "deep south". How can you ignore it when every commercial operation is called "mid-south..." (Mid South BBQ, Mid South Motors, Mid South AC repair).

I know what everyone is thinking - "who cares Dd714!"
Actually it is kind of interesting in that Memphis does market itself as "mid south" while at the same time fitting easily in the deep south.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Actually it is kind of interesting in that Memphis does market itself as "mid south" while at the same time fitting easily in the deep south.
If you are south of the Tennessee River basin, you're the deep south.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default So funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
On Sunday, I had to make a run to The Big Supermarket. Since it was about noon, That Woman suggested that I pick up something from the deli, and bring it home for lunch.
I went to the deli, but the food looked old and the people looked pretty uninterested, too. No problem. The Smaller Store has a deli, too.
The smaller Store is frequented by lots of Black folks. White people use, it, too, mind you, but The Smaller Store has been here for many, many years and has a large Black clientele.
Keep in mid it's right after church, so I stand in line at the deli. I'm the only White guy there; Black women above the age of 50 made up the rest of the group. That's not a problem for me; I'm comfortable. Just waiting my turn.
I was listening to the chatter in the group, but not saying anything. They greeted each other with familiarity and enthusiasm. I nodded to some of them, but did not know anyone. The Older Lady declared that she needed a hug from her younger friend. As she hugged her younger friend, she caught my eye, and declared, "You too! You ain't hugging nobody, and e'ry'body needs hugging". So the next thing I know she had done "grabbed aholt" and was hugging me, like I was a lost brother. Then the other women took her lead and everybody in the group had to hug everybody else. All eight of us.

It was ridiculous, and we all laughed and laughed.
When I got home, I told That Woman, and we both enjoyed the story all over again. Hugs from strangers!

Awright, here's the question:
How long do you think I would have to live in Chicago before that happened up there?....
LOL! Your description of the experience was hilarious but oh so nice! Thanks for sharing.
BTW, I'm African-American and experience this basically almost every time I go to church, any family functions (even if we're not related), and when if I run into someone at the grocery store, restaurant, or retail store, who attends the same church I do or I know them from a different church than my own. Hugs all around upon initially seeing each other and then again when we're parting ways - it's an unending receiving line most of the time.

Reading your post reminded me of what most of us, especially Black Christians, take for granted: 1) how it must feel to witness this as an outsider, lol and 2) That there are still at least some positive traits left in present-day African-American culture. The cultural mentality that prevails today sadly has done away with so many positive traits that we used to posses in abundance.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:33 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
That's about 10 gallons. How does an old man hold a 60 lb. 10 gallon gas container, or did it have wheels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
On my last trip to Mississippi last October (I passed through Tupelo AND I AM KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT REACHING OUT TO YOU!)

....Anyway, on my last trip out there last October, I was gassing up my rental car in Horn Lake and on my way to visit jhadorn in Senatobia, escaping the riff raff of Memphis and an elderly man was lamenting he had an empty gas tank and had to get to Coldwater. Well, since where he was going was literally ten minutes from where I was going. I asked him to come over and I stuck my gas nozzle into his cannister he was holding and gave him $30 worth of gas. He thanked me profusely.

Really, it is just the small things. And I'm not even a Southerner.

Last edited by bobspez; 09-09-2019 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Better quetion is why were you the only white guy in the store? Maybe that's a better indication of life in the South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
On Sunday, I had to make a run to The Big Supermarket. Since it was about noon, That Woman suggested that I pick up something from the deli, and bring it home for lunch.
I went to the deli, but the food looked old and the people looked pretty uninterested, too. No problem. The Smaller Store has a deli, too.
The smaller Store is frequented by lots of Black folks. White people use, it, too, mind you, but The Smaller Store has been here for many, many years and has a large Black clientele.
Keep in mid it's right after church, so I stand in line at the deli. I'm the only White guy there; Black women above the age of 50 made up the rest of the group. That's not a problem for me; I'm comfortable. Just waiting my turn.
I was listening to the chatter in the group, but not saying anything. They greeted each other with familiarity and enthusiasm. I nodded to some of them, but did not know anyone. The Older Lady declared that she needed a hug from her younger friend. As she hugged her younger friend, she caught my eye, and declared, "You too! You ain't hugging nobody, and e'ry'body needs hugging". So the next thing I know she had done "grabbed aholt" and was hugging me, like I was a lost brother. Then the other women took her lead and everybody in the group had to hug everybody else. All eight of us.

It was ridiculous, and we all laughed and laughed.
When I got home, I told That Woman, and we both enjoyed the story all over again. Hugs from strangers!

Awright, here's the question:
How long do you think I would have to live in Chicago before that happened up there?....

Old 09-09-2019, 09:03 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Better quetion is why were you the only white guy in the store? Maybe that's a better indication of life in the South.
That's actually in the context of my story and is central to understanding the situation. It's about noon, right after church. I don't go to church, but I think most Black people do. So everyone was dressed up but me and the women had all stopped to buy lunch for their families.
On any other day, any other time, things would probably have been different.
You ever want to "git yourself hugged" go on down to a Black church on Sunday.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:14 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
^
You sure your white booty wasn't popular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi