Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times

Advertisements

Hattiesburg isn't forgotten. It's got a great economy at the moment and is attracting people from outside the state. South Mississippi has a lot of good things going for it right now.

As far as a college town? Yeah, it's just not Starkville or Oxford. And USM's heyday is long gone. Hattiesburg does not revolve around USM like Starkville and Oxford do around MSU/Ole Miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 10:52 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
It has had competitive football teams but there is no doubt that it's conference affiliation hurts USM, whereas Ole Miss and Mississippi State's conference affiliation is a huge boon for those two schools.

Probably the biggest thing hurting Hattiesburg, though, is that it appears that it's population has been fairly stagnant for years. By contrast, Oxford and Starkville have steadily grown over the last few decades.

Here is Hattiesburg's, historical population, if Wikipedia can be trusted:

1890: 1,172
1900: 4,175
1910: 11,733
1920: 13,270
1930: 18,601
1940: 21,026
1950: 29,474
1960: 34,989
1970: 39,648
1980: 40,829
1990: 41,882
2000: 44,779
2010: 45,989
[b]2017 (est.): [/
So, if those numbers can be trusted, Hattiesburg has seen only about a 17 percent increase in it's population since 1970. It is Mississippi's biggest true college town (I don't really consider Jackson to be a college town), so it has that claim to fame but it does seem like the population growth has been pretty flat for decades.
Since the 1980s, many people have chosen to settle in Lamar County west of Hattiesburg.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Hattiesburg isn't forgotten. It's got a great economy at the moment and is attracting people from outside the state. South Mississippi has a lot of good things going for it right now.

As far as a college town? Yeah, it's just not Starkville or Oxford. And USM's heyday is long gone. Hattiesburg does not revolve around USM like Starkville and Oxford do around MSU/Ole Miss.
What makes you think USM is on the wane?

Old 09-04-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What makes you think USM is on the wane?
Not sure if you are serious. I mean, every piece of evidence there is? The athletic department was near broke a few years ago. The football program hasn't been a serious competitor since Brett Favre left.

The majority of people in Mississippi support MSU or Ole Miss (if they choose an instate team). USM's fanbase is shrinking by the year, and most of them double as an LSU or Florida fan.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Not sure if you are serious. I mean, every piece of evidence there is? The athletic department was near broke a few years ago. The football program hasn't been a serious competitor since Brett Favre left.

The majority of people in Mississippi support MSU or Ole Miss (if they choose an instate team). USM's fanbase is shrinking by the year, and most of them double as an LSU or Florida fan.
I was referring to enrollment and academic reputation.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
USM has fielded strong football teams. One year, all of the teams in our “Big Three” ranked in the Top 25.
USM likely has a better overall record since 1980 than either, but since they have not gotten in a power conference, support for football and other sports has not grown as rapidly as State or UM. 20 or 30k fans show up in Hattiesburg, with 60K showing up in the other two's stadiums and another few thousand staying in the junction and grove during the game.

Being in the SEC is the only reason so many people show up in Oxford and Starkville. It is just by dumb luck they are in the conference. If the SEC were having a draft today, it is very doubtful either State or UM would be selected.

Also, Hattiesburg has a lot of other stuff outside the university going on, whereas the universities make Oxford and Starkville. Without them, Oxford would be Grenada and Starkville would be Eupora.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 AM

184 posts, read 205,208 times
Yeah like said above, USM is a part of the Hattiesburg community, Ole Mis IS Oxford, same with State and Starkville. Plus, Hattiesburg is in a more desirable part of the state, with proximity to 4 or 5 other major cities within a 2 hr drive - Jackson, New Orleans, Mobile, the gulf coast etc. USM also has the most robust study abroad program in the southeast. Sitting in a USM classroom we had students from many different countries and states, it's not the typical Mississippi university and the diverse experience prepares students well for the world outside of Mississippi. Academically, I think the university is doing well. When I was there the football team was ranked in the top 25, but I understand they have been struggling since. But big name athletics isn't really what USM is about, if people want that they can go to State or Ole Miss. People come to USM for a different experience, to make friends with people who are unlike the people they grew up with and to get a different perspective on things.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Being in the SEC is the only reason so many people show up in Oxford and Starkville.
No, it's not. It helps, but it's not the only reason. Far from it. Ole Miss and MSU are the oldest universities and are the big state universities, therefore have much more financial backing than USM. Just look at the endowment, 400 million for MSU, 600 million for Ole Miss, 100 million for USM. 1848/1878 founding for OM/MSU, 1910 for USM. Big head start. All that plays into the success of athletics over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
It is just by dumb luck they are in the conference.
If by dumb luck, you mean CHARTER MEMBERS, yes. Unbelievable that you fail to give them credit for making a great decision (without the hindsight). As many bad decisions that have been made (separating Ole Miss/MSU, and later putting MSU in Starkville instead of Meridian), you'd think you would be intelligent enough to give credit for one of the few good ones.

You are very negative, it's as simple as that.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Sitting in a USM classroom we had students from many different countries and states, it's not the typical Mississippi university and the diverse experience prepares students well for the world outside of Mississippi. Academically, I think the university is doing well. When I was there the football team was ranked in the top 25, but I understand they have been struggling since. But big name athletics isn't really what USM is about, if people want that they can go to State or Ole Miss. People come to USM for a different experience, to make friends with people who are unlike the people they grew up with and to get a different perspective on things.
If you are trying to tell me USM is more diverse than MSU, you've lost your mind.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...ife/diversity/

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...ife/diversity/

Ole Miss? Maybe, I didn't go there, I can't vouch for them.

The facts say you are wrong. I realize this is a message board and the truth is lost on most, but geez, man, at least try to keep it within the yellow lines.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Ole Miss came close to being locating in Mississippi City, a tiny Gulf Coast burg that was swallowed up by Gulfport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi