Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:02 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times

Advertisements

After about 2 years of hardscrabble work and decision making. I've come to a decision on a town, Senatobia.

I have been there, and liked it. What is the must-know for there and Tate County?

Oxford wound up being just too expensive, and if Senatobia isn't the greatest choice I've picked, what other North MS towns would fit a similar profile and price range that isn't as crazy expensive as Oxford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,064 times
From someone who lives here, it's a decent town. Crime isn't too bad, although it isn't one of the best towns in Mississippi for crime. There isn't much to do. Walmart, a few restaurants with chicken, mexican, bbq, chinese, burgers, and wings represented. We have beer and alcohol now... it's close to Desoto County and Memphis, about 50 minutes from Oxford. You could do worse.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
From someone who lives here, it's a decent town. Crime isn't too bad, although it isn't one of the best towns in Mississippi for crime. There isn't much to do. Walmart, a few restaurants with chicken, mexican, bbq, chinese, burgers, and wings represented. We have beer and alcohol now... it's close to Desoto County and Memphis, about 50 minutes from Oxford. You could do worse.
Thanks again jhadorn, I know you told me this on Facebook but I wanted the opinion of some of our friends here on the forum, some of our "personalities" here don't have FB accounts unfortunately.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:37 AM

But does anyone else here on the forum have an opinion on the town?

Old 05-30-2016, 05:42 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
But does anyone else here on the forum have an opinion on the town?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DwaLotPYrE

And, thirteen miles down the Interstate, in Sardis: Ex-Marine attacked by 'racist mob' at Mississippi restaurant | Daily Mail Online

And, thirty miles down the 'I', in Courtland: Man is charged with burning Jessica Chambers to death | Daily Mail Online

On the bright side, there used to be an Interstate pull-over area, up there somewhere between Canton and Memphis, famed far-&-wide, as a place where the menfolk could get together. Truckers, bidnismen, lawmen, military, farmers... all used to get up in those woods and practice for marriage. Of particular note was a "Big, blond ex-football dude from Batesville, with a nine-and-a-h....". But, just as with the equally-famed "Ruth Ann's" pullover area out from Hattiesburg, where surgeons rendezvoused with lumberjackers, times have changed. Interstate Meth dealers, and the fear of being put on "The List" for life, as well as the advent of "MenHunting" & "Grinders" phone apps (not to mention Lyme Disease), have changed the social climate, and so I guess a person would be too late, if that sort of woodsy diversion had any appeal (If you wonder what 'League Ladies' talk about, when they aren't rating divorce lawyers and swapping stock tips: they speculate on other women's' husbands' little peccadilloes. http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/201...as-coming.html ). Nevertheless, the raw material for such amusements surely remains: but these days, a fella needs the right phone app, in order to rustle-up some good buddies.

Over to the east, there's Holly Springs, whose white folks have to be the meanest people north of Canton. One of the nicer ones, proprietor of Graceland Too, recently died of a heart attack, two days after shooting an alleged burglar: The Final Days of Graceland Too.

Senatobia used to be where "Hot Moore" had his cattle business. The old Bootlegger who was my first boss, told me that "Hot" made a lot of money breeding special cattle. (Pole Heifers or something...). He was one of the insiders, and made a lot of money. Lots of other people, including heirs of other bootleggers, lost all their money fooling with the special cows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsux9CGy3yw I wonder if these B&B folks know about the Spahn Ranch out in California (Where the Manson Family had their glory days: "Nobody likes a snitch..."). Oh, well... It's also the name of a great Nineties Hellectro Band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anv83o-hT1s Anyway, Mississippi has its own Spahn Ranch (well, kinda...) and it's in Senatobia.

"Over to the east, there's Holly Springs, whose white folks have to be the meanest people north of Canton."

Been to Holly Springs once, the white people must have been on vakay, I didn't see any."

And here's Kamala, at home in Senatobia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RpDxcBQ4MY

And there are a couple of white peeps left somewhere in Holly Springs. But they're adept at hiding. Maybe that's what makes them so mean, when they move to Jackson. In particular, I remember a decorator in our gated enclave who had an intern from Holly Springs. A sorority girl from Ole Miss... strawberry blonde... That little witch and her fiance could sling "superiority" at you like nothing I'd ever seen. We'd been in Jackson for quite a while, by that time, so I'd seen a lot. My impulse was to grab her by the hair and yell, "Honey, I OWN that house ova yondah. An' I OWN a bigger office condo than your bosses'. So don't be slingin' attitude at ME, just 'cause I'm little and brown. And if you make one more pruneyface at my Decorator, I'm gonna knock your homophobic little adze into next week." (But I held my tongue, and smiled demurely, as I imagined some things) I've had plenty of other run-ins with people from Holly Springs.

Some big white football people from Minnesota owned and "restored" one of the Holly Springs mansions. But last I heard, they were headed elsewhere: http://www.curbed.com/2011/10/27/104...pt-grants-wife
I think the eighteen million asking price turned into fifteen, and eventually, into ONE million, with no takers...

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-30-2016 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 06:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,896,342 times
Senatobia is the hometown of Kamala The Ugdian Warrior, one of the greatest "rasslers" of all time.

"Over to the east, there's Holly Springs, whose white folks have to be the meanest people north of Canton."

Been to Holly Springs once, the white people must have been on vakay, I didn't see any.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:06 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Quote:
Thanks again jhadorn, I know you told me this on Facebook but I wanted the opinion of some of our friends here on the forum, some of our "personalities" here don't have FB accounts unfortunately.
Or we do have Facebook accounts, but we prefer to keep politically charged discussions separate from pictures of our kids and houses. I'm not trying too hard to hide my identity here, but it's one thing to call out the ridiculousness of some extremist's position under the name "jwkilgore in Chattanooga, TN", and quite another to give that extremist information about my home, my friends, my family, my vehicle, kids' school, etc.

As for Senatobia, I don't know much about it. Just that it's a classic small-town in Mississippi, located in the Red Clay Hills region just south of Memphis.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Or we do have Facebook accounts, but we prefer to keep politically charged discussions separate from pictures of our kids and houses. I'm not trying too hard to hide my identity here, but it's one thing to call out the ridiculousness of some extremist's position under the name "jwkilgore in Chattanooga, TN", and quite another to give that extremist information about my home, my friends, my family, my vehicle, kids' school, etc.

As for Senatobia, I don't know much about it. Just that it's a classic small-town in Mississippi, located in the Red Clay Hills region just south of Memphis.
So far, my opinions expressed on Facebook are totally in line with what I've been posting here.

But, since we are taking the option of anonymity on the internet (although, in our post-Snowden world you could argue even that doesn't exist anymore) why not choose that option if some of our friends here don't have social media accounts?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Quote:
So far, my opinions expressed on Facebook are totally in line with what I've been posting here.
Mine as well, but I strictly limit my Facebook "friends" to people I know personally. My posts are limited to "friends only" or even more restrictive, and I routinely check my account using a secondary account (not "friends" with the first) to make sure no personally identifiable info peeks out. So even though my audience is extremely varied from extreme conservative to moderate to extreme liberal, by default it is very limited in reach.

I'm not even "friends" with people I work with; if I want to rant about my day at work, I don't want my boss reading about it.

Say I post a comic making fun of one of our glorious choices for president (I dislike both); or share an on-point article criticising the latest gorilla-centric internet lynch mob; or make fun of some law passed by self-proclaimed Christians that totally flips the bird to the actual teachings of Christ. With the wide range of beliefs and backgrounds of my "friends" I can be all but guaranteed that I will p**s off at least a few people.

Most of those people are either related to me, or know me and my family personally. Worst case will be a (*gasp*!!) "unfriending", which I probably won't even notice. None of them will slash my tires, stalk my kids, or shoot up my house.

On the other hand, I'm not so confident in the random people on the wild internet. I'm sure someone could track me down from info posted on City-Data with considerable effort; nothing is truly anonymous on the internet. But it would take a lot of effort, and then I'm not that inflammatory.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Mine as well, but I strictly limit my Facebook "friends" to people I know personally. My posts are limited to "friends only" or even more restrictive, and I routinely check my account using a secondary account (not "friends" with the first) to make sure no personally identifiable info peeks out. So even though my audience is extremely varied from extreme conservative to moderate to extreme liberal, by default it is very limited in reach.

I'm not even "friends" with people I work with; if I want to rant about my day at work, I don't want my boss reading about it.

Say I post a comic making fun of one of our glorious choices for president (I dislike both); or share an on-point article criticising the latest gorilla-centric internet lynch mob; or make fun of some law passed by self-proclaimed Christians that totally flips the bird to the actual teachings of Christ. With the wide range of beliefs and backgrounds of my "friends" I can be all but guaranteed that I will p**s off at least a few people.

Most of those people are either related to me, or know me and my family personally. Worst case will be a (*gasp*!!) "unfriending", which I probably won't even notice. None of them will slash my tires, stalk my kids, or shoot up my house.

On the other hand, I'm not so confident in the random people on the wild internet. I'm sure someone could track me down from info posted on City-Data with considerable effort; nothing is truly anonymous on the internet. But it would take a lot of effort, and then I'm not that inflammatory.
IMO, if it satirizes, lampoons, outright parodies and skewers every facet of society as a whole, with no room for "favorites" I mean equally taking the **** out of everybody.

Then I consider it good.

Haven't had anyone shoot up my house yet, or slash my tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi