Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM

468 posts, read 787,061 times

Advertisements

I drove down to Greenville yesterday (Memorial Day). I first stopped at the Mid-Delta Regional Airport (formerly Greenville Air Force Base) and spent a good bit of time looking at the museum in the terminal which has only one commercial flight per day. This flight comes from an airline which is subsidized (i.e. bribed) to fly to Greenville. The only airplane that took off or landed while I was there was a pilot in an old Cessna single-engined plane. The sounds from the television set broadcasting The Weather Channel echoed throughout the empty building. I think the only other person in there was whoever was working at the car rental office, which had no customers in the hour or so I spent wandering around. In fact, I didn't encounter anyone else in there until I left, when some city police who stopped by on a routine patrol (although about four miles from Greenville proper, the airport is in the city limits). The lack of business at the airport doesn't keep it from having its own Department of Homeland Security offfice and fire department.
I drove around the airport property, looking at vanishing traces of the air force base. Of the few vintage buildings remaining, some are old barracks now serving as a drug treatment center. Some hangars are still used by the airport, others are now empty after being used by a variety of companies to repair aircraft. The old base service station is still standing in suprisingly good condition with a recent paint job, although it too is vacant.
I drove to Greenville on an old road that was once one lane of concrete but had asphalt added to both sides to accomodate two vehicles. It was a bumpy ride until I passed Metcalfe and the road turned into a nicer asphalt job as I approached Greenville from the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM

191 posts, read 242,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I drove down to Greenville yesterday (Memorial Day). I first stopped at the Mid-Delta Regional Airport (formerly Greenville Air Force Base) and spent a good bit of time looking at the museum in the terminal which has only one commercial flight per day. This flight comes from an airline which is subsidized (i.e. bribed) to fly to Greenville. The only airplane that took off or landed while I was there was a pilot in an old Cessna single-engined plane. The sounds from the television set broadcasting The Weather Channel echoed throughout the empty building. I think the only other person in there was whoever was working at the car rental office, which had no customers in the hour or so I spent wandering around. In fact, I didn't encounter anyone else in there until I left, when some city police who stopped by on a routine patrol (although about four miles from Greenville proper, the airport is in the city limits). The lack of business at the airport doesn't keep it from having its own Department of Homeland Security offfice and fire department.
I drove around the airport property, looking at vanishing traces of the air force base. Of the few vintage buildings remaining, some are old barracks now serving as a drug treatment center. Some hangars are still used by the airport, others are now empty after being used by a variety of companies to repair aircraft. The old base service station is still standing in suprisingly good condition with a recent paint job, although it too is vacant.
I drove to Greenville on an old road that was once one lane of concrete but had asphalt added to both sides to accomodate two vehicles. It was a bumpy ride until I passed Metcalfe and the road turned into a nicer asphalt job as I approached Greenville from the north.
Here we go!! I've never been to the airport,but the town is far from obsolete.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 PM

25,590 posts, read 17,318,658 times
By coincidence this was announced this week:
Quote:
Three Mississippi cities that are losing their federally-subsidized air connections to Memphis will now be served through Atlanta.Silver Airways will provide 12 flights a week between Atlanta and Hattiesburg-Laurel Regional Airport. The airline will fly 18 times a week from Atlanta to Tupelo, continuing on to Greenville.
EAS: Service at Mississippi airports to switch to Atlanta - USATODAY.com

I don't really understand going to Greenville, but I guess it makes sense to someone.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Here we go!! I've never been to the airport,but the town is far from obsolete.

Read Part Two of my post.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM

The Mid-Delta Regional Airport is what you could call a welfare airport - poor but kept alive by government subsidies. It has always been underutilized and had too much capacity for the traffic in and out of there. It even has a control tower for what may be less than a dozen flights per day, mostly private planes. The only thing noteworthy is its recently-repainted checkerboard water tower - the most-visible reminder of the former air force base. I think Greenville would have been better off to keep the old airport on Raceway Road (site of the Washington County Convention Center) open and let the former air force base be turned into cotton fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi