Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,907 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

We will be relocating to the Memphis area after we sell our home in Florida. We are considering looking into Southaven. We need something safe and that has a short commute time to the airport. We also have 2 small children, so we would need a place that is great for kids.

Can anyone recommend a nice housing community in Southaven? Or any other recommendations that might be beneficial.

Thank you,
Adrian
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 AM

Someone just told us about Collierville as well. Any information about it would be great. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:32 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,391 times
Collierville is much nicer than Southaven, but it is significantly more expensive. The property taxes are higher there too. Though, Tennessee does not have a state income tax while Mississippi does (and a property tax on vehicles too). Collierville public schools are excellent, and there are several great private schools around. DeSoto County schools are OK. They are considered to be very good compared to the rest of the state, but Mississippi isn't exactly known for education. The traffic in Southaven is horrendous. Collierville isn't nearly as bad. If you want a very good private school, you'll have to send your kids to Memphis. The commute from Collierville to the airport is about 25 minutes depending where you are in town. If you find that Collierville is too expensive, then consider Arlington, which is also in Shelby County. They seem to be doing a better job of controlling growth than the towns in DeSoto County have. If you do like DeSoto County, then I would suggest Olive Branch over Southaven, though it is a painful commute to the airport due to the lack of an interstate.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,963 times
Default Southaven

Everyone has their own opinion. We just moved, a year ago, from Hoover, AL., one of the safest cities in the south. We have been very pleased with Southaven. We are in the Desoto Central Schools and love it. Our son had a great year @ Desoto Central High School and that is comparing it to the nationally highly rated Hoover School System. Don't sell our schools short. I think you'd be very pleased. We live in Dickens Place subd. and love it here. Very quiet and crime has not yet been an issue. Police chief lives here and they are on top of things. Tennessee is fine. The no-income tax deal is good but don't be deceived. Property taxes more than make up for it. You may need a private school if you live there. Sorry, Tennreb.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:36 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,137,403 times
I would look at Desoto Co. including Southaven, Olive Branch and Heranado. This is a BOOMING area.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 71,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
If you do like DeSoto County, then I would suggest Olive Branch over Southaven, though it is a painful commute to the airport due to the lack of an interstate.
I don't find the commute painful. In fact, there is interstate grade road for much of the drive from Olive Branch to the airport. Once you are familiar with the area, there are better routes to the airport and generally safer than some of the local interstates.

You might also consider Hernando, about 20 miles south of the airport, with I-55 that will take you to within a couple of miles of the airport. Hernando is quiet and peaceful and growing.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muaddib View Post
I don't find the commute painful. In fact, there is interstate grade road for much of the drive from Olive Branch to the airport. Once you are familiar with the area, there are better routes to the airport and generally safer than some of the local interstates.

You might also consider Hernando, about 20 miles south of the airport, with I-55 that will take you to within a couple of miles of the airport. Hernando is quiet and peaceful and growing.
Do you have a way of bypassing Lamar, especially the Lamar and Shelby intersection? Driving that stretch every day is enough to drive you to drinking.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded. Hopefully I will get a chance to go there and look around before we sell our home. Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2008, 02:05 AM

6 posts, read 29,340 times
I lived in Southaven for about 16 years of my life. I moved and I currently go to Ole Miss. I would definitely pick Southaven over Olive Branch, due to location. Olive Branch is slightly nicer, but Southaven has all of the retail in the Area. So if you are in Olive Branch, you would have to drive a good distance to shop. Southaven is also only about 15 minutes from downtown Memphis. You either want to live in the eastern part of the city. from swinnea over, or I would suggest the carriage hills neigborhood (where I grew up) on the west side of the city. The rest of the city, on the west side of Airways boulevard is low income. Not dangerous, but not nice. The houses in Carriage hills aren't the nicest. But are steals, for the location. My Old House-around 3,000 square feet, only cost about 200 grand. I'm not 10 minutes from the airport. and about 5 minutes from the Southaven Towne Center. You might want to look for a house in the Desoto Central School district though. Pretty good school. So is Southaven. Lakeland and Arlington, and Bartlett are nice too, and not terribly expensive. Germantown, and Collierville aren't worth the cost. Btw Hotty Toddy Tenn Reb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi