Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2007, 05:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1969 View Post
We are thinking about moving to MN as well, Eden Prarie to be exact. We live in Long Island,NY, and personally I have had enough. The only thing keeping me here now is my 7 year old son. He has (if this is actually possible) too many friends. He is like a mayor (a good one of course). He has lots of good friends. He just started 2nd grade and I am afraid to uproot him. We do have family in EP with kids of his age so I guess that would help. I also have a 3yr old daughter, and she too has lots of friends, but she is still young. If I can find a real good paying job in the insurance business, I would be that much closer to saying hello MN, goodbye NY.

If your kids are that friendly they won't have a problem getting to know new kids. As for the job, one of the major insurance companies has a large regional office in Eden Prairie so finding a job there won't be too difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,584 times
I live in St. Paul, having moved from the East Coast. It seems to me that people here lived very sheltered lives and are rather easily offended. For all their talk about inclusiveness and treating everyone as equals, if something strikes them as foreign, they don't know how to react to it.

To be sure, I am an arms-length kind of guy. I don't mind a little cordiality, but beyond a few pleasantries, there's always kind of been a wall between me and people. That seems to be the general way people in this state interact. People for whatever reason will push you away the moment you try to get to know them better- even a little bit better.

Minnesota is not an exceptionally large state, which makes this arms-length mentality all the more incongruous. Which is not to say in some places it might fit in. People as close as St. Paul speak of Minneapolis in biting terms, calling it a "conceited" city. Your first reaction to that is, wow, Minnesotans calling other Minnesotans conceited? That's saying something. It's an adjective that in varying degrees describes the whole state, and yet people within the state use that term to describe their largest city.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,584 times
That being said, being a big fan of baseball, there's nowhere else in the country I'd rather move to, than Minnesota. The Twins are truly one of the better small-georgraphic area teams. And, the team's success actually goes against the grain of the long-standing trend in major league baseball- they don't spend much money, yet they're regularly in the postseason. You just can't argue with that.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 16,812 times
We moved to Vegas from Minnesota two years ago... and we miss Minnesota BAD!!!!

We moved to Vegas, due to construction-remodeling work in MN slowed way down for us. Vegas has/had lots of construction type work available. People out here are no way anything like "MN Nice" people!! Minnesota is on top of my list for the prettiest state!

You don't realize what you have/had until its gone....

If work were to come available back home,, we would move back in a instant!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCog View Post
they don't spend much money, yet they're regularly in the postseason. You just can't argue with that.
Heh heh. They're still in it I, mathematically...

Old 09-12-2007, 06:46 PM

15 posts, read 58,630 times
I was born and raised in Minnesota and was glad to leave. The small towns can be nice but stay out of the metro area.

Snow - When it snows even a half inch, you can take your 1 hour drive and figure 4 - 6 hours. Keep your gas tank full at all times in the winter. You will see lots of stalled cars on those days, but I bet most of them ran out of gas sitting there for hours.

Traffic - Traffic is the worst. Driving the twin cities is a hostile enviroment. People will speed up to purposely not you in from a ramp or to keep you from changing lanes. Even if it means slamming into the car in front of them. I have seen this happen more than once.

People - The one thing I couldn't beleive is how anti-social most of the people are. Go to a crowded bar before the band starts. There will be 200 people there and it is dead silent. No one talking to anyone. Don't get caught trying to break the silence by talking to someone. They like it this way and will get you tossed out.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Heh heh. They're still in it I, mathematically...

Really, I thought they were already out of it mathematically too--our band has been selected to play at the first home playoff game if they make the playoffs but we told our son that there was no way that would happen so forget it. I might have to reschedule a few things just in case .

Old 09-15-2007, 06:48 PM

98 posts, read 480,812 times
I like the jobs, but besides that...aint too much here. The people in minnesota are so backwards. Man, if not for my wife, i'll leave here in a heartbeat.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 31,994 times
i agreed with mrkue except his wife is not the reason i'm still here.. bad joke.. umm. it's not minnesota nice anymore.. maybe minnesota ICE. but far from nice. jobs are ok. just crazy people on the road.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Really, I thought they were already out of it mathematically too--our band has been selected to play at the first home playoff game if they make the playoffs but we told our son that there was no way that would happen so forget it. I might have to reschedule a few things just in case .
Ooh they're out for sure now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota