Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 16,523 times

Advertisements

Yes one would think that what happened at the soccer game would have drawn more attention than a small story in the local news and that should tell you something about the community. I don't believe I'm putting a stereotype on the people of SC because I did acknowledge that there are those who are not racist or intolerant

For the person insisting that I am a liar I hope you haven't experienced the things that I or countless other minorities have. Although I won't recomend to an expecting mother of a bi-racial child that your experience there is the rule and not the exception. Your experiences would truely make you a minority of minorities. I not only volunteered working with minority children but also with new immigrants wishing to learn english. ALL of them have stories of SC racism. Maybe you should try talking to the people you claim to represent....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,930 times
@@avmann

I'm not doubting your stories, but I can't help but thinking that they are a little too harsh. You have to look at the big picture.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Some St Cloud property management companies will not rent to Africans and Middle Easterners because of complaints about the smell of their food which permiates the halls and other apartments.

Do you all think this is discrimination? Or are they protecting the rights of others who find the smell repulsive?
Yes, that would fit the definition of race discrimination.

To relate to the discussion I must say that as an interracial couple in Minnesota the only place we have received negative comments/gestures and have been made to feel uncomfortable was in Stearns County.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 PM

knke0204- This thread was started because a woman expecting to give birth to a bi-racial child wanted to know about racial issues in St Cloud specifically. I don't believe the city as a whole has much of a leg to stand on considering how frequently there a racially motivated incidents. Also, I responded primarily to the poster who accused me of lying.

I agree that there are people who aren't racist that live there but untill quite recently they have been relativity silent compared to those that are. IMO I wouldn't raise a minority child in SC. The OP asked for opinions about just that. I moved to avoid raising my own child there. Harsh or not it's the truth.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmann11011 View Post
Yes one would think that what happened at the soccer game would have drawn more attention than a small story in the local news and that should tell you something about the community. I don't believe I'm putting a stereotype on the people of SC because I did acknowledge that there are those who are not racist or intolerant

For the person insisting that I am a liar I hope you haven't experienced the things that I or countless other minorities have. Although I won't recomend to an expecting mother of a bi-racial child that your experience there is the rule and not the exception. Your experiences would truely make you a minority of minorities. I not only volunteered working with minority children but also with new immigrants wishing to learn english. ALL of them have stories of SC racism. Maybe you should try talking to the people you claim to represent....
----" Yes one would think that what happened at the soccer game would have drawn more attention than a small story in the local news........"

The St Cloud Times is one of the most liberal slanted newspapers in the state of Minnesota ( both in their editorial section and in how they cover the news)

If they only ran a small story , that tells me it was so insignificant it didn't even rate coverage at all.

--if-- it truly was a small story, the St Cloud Times would have blown it into a front page story and ran it day after day.

The Times has been criticized many times for the way it covers criminals by protecting minority criminals.

The Times would have had a " field day" running that story of yours on the front page.

Apparently you are not familiar with the St Cloud Times and their boasting of all the --diversity awards-- they recieve !

Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 PM

marmac- I am familiar with the Times but as I said in a past post WJON (a very conservative radio station) also ran the story. As much as people complain about the Times being to Liberal there are others who complain about them promoting negativity towards minorities. ie: Only giving a suspects race when describing a possible suspect. WJON has made this a habit also.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
St. Cloud does have its share of racial problems, there have been plenty of incidences through the past 20 years. I would also say that for the most part those incidences are isolated and targeted. We know of one boy that moved there from our old town that is originally from Ethiopia that was mugged at knifepoint while out running (he was a senior in high school at the time). He moved back to our old town right after that. The problem still isn't widespread.

As far as the issue at Cathedral-if it happened or not I don't know but considering it is a Catholic high school, I can see where they would have issue with a gay/lesbian club forming. If the teachers were actually fired for being gay would be another story--especially considering that it would be plastered all over the news so I highly doubt that was the reason they were fired.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmann11011 View Post
marmac- I am familiar with the Times but as I said in a past post WJON (a very conservative radio station) also ran the story. As much as people complain about the Times being to Liberal there are others who complain about them promoting negativity towards minorities. ie: Only giving a suspects race when describing a possible suspect. WJON has made this a habit also.

False.

People complained that the St Cloud Times was censoring the news releases from the Sheriff's dpartment before they published them in their crime news.

WJON was reporting the crimes without censoring them from the sheriff's office.

The Times is the most liberal slanted newspaper in Minnesota and suggesting they --" promote negativity to minorities"--- is laughable.

The Times were the ones who kept that nazi graffitti in the news everyday despite the Sheriff's office stating it was getting overblown.

The Times even wrote an editorial that the Nazi graffitti had the same effect on people as being raped does to a woman.

Saying the Times displays negativity to minorities is an outright fabrication that even the most liberal at SCSU would disagree with.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
As far as the issue at Cathedral-if it happened or not I don't know but considering it is a Catholic high school, I can see where they would have issue with a gay/lesbian club forming. If the teachers were actually fired for being gay would be another story--especially considering that it would be plastered all over the news so I highly doubt that was the reason they were fired.
Exactly right!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,884,604 times
I think there are WAY too many people who are naive to everyday prejudices in our society. This is not a local phenomenon by any means, and it's probably better here than in many places. From my experiences with people, prejudiced or not, almost EVERYONE has made a comment that could easily be interpreted as racism or prejudice to others, and to tell someone what they felt was wrong is maybe the stupidest thing I've ever heard. This kind of behavior is not exclusive to prejudice either (at least not the primary prejudices that exist today), it can happen anywhere to anybody. It's not a one-way street either, "reverse prejudice" is just as real and victims can be of majority or minority status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota