Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
When a person ,about to have a baby, can move from city to city with no mention of job ramifications ,----------welfare-- is many times the enabler.

Lottery winners could also have that freedom, but they are more scarce than welfare recipients in Minnesota.
I suppose you may be right, although I'm not sure I would automatically make that assumption without knowing any more information about that OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Whoa, where are you getting that information? I'm not sure you could prove something like that. I mean in this certain person's position that may be the case but if you're flat out saying St. Cloud is a better place to raise a child, I respectfully disagree.

I'm confused, who said anything about welfare?
I agree... it's not cut and dry that SC is a better place to raise kids than Mpls. I know several good families in the city. It depends on the parents, neighborhood, and the schools.

BTW, I'm surprised marmac didn't bring up welfare earlier. It seems to be par for the course

Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Whoa, where are you getting that information? I'm not sure you could prove something like that. I mean in this certain person's position that may be the case but if you're flat out saying St. Cloud is a better place to raise a child, I respectfully disagree.
A small city with the population of 65,000 (or so) vs. South Minneapolis. Not even one of the suburbs. Just Minneapolis. Low-income.
You don't need a lot of hard hitting facts here. lol
Come on...

If she had money and could afford private school in Minneapolis.... yeah. That might be an exception.

I'm not normally that sarcastic, but tact toward me in this forum for the extremely short time I've been here - merely trying to help - has certainly been questionable.

People like Marmac just get a kick out of talking down to people (safely, behind their little computer). That's where the "welfare" comment comes from.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
A small city with the population of 65,000 (or so) vs. South Minneapolis. Not even one of the suburbs. Just Minneapolis. Low-income.
You don't need a lot of hard hitting facts here. lol
Come on...

If she had money and could afford private school in Minneapolis.... yeah. That might be an exception.

I'm not normally that sarcastic, but tact toward me in this forum for the extremely short time I've been here - merely trying to help - has certainly been questionable.

People like Marmac just get a kick out of talking down to people (safely, behind their little computer). That's where the "welfare" comment comes from.

Not talking down to anyone !

When a pregnant woman talks about moving for more " fun", fails to mention job ramifications, fails to mentions affects of the move on the father of that child, and rates " fun" over " safety"----------the WELFARE neon sign shines brightly over the OP's post.

Last edited by marmac; 01-22-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I grew up in Minneapolis. I have a kid. I would definitely choose Minneapolis over St. Cloud for my child. I can't imagine ever moving to St. Cloud to raise a child; it would be far, far down on my list of places, although that's not to say it's not an excellent option for others who have different circumstances or tastes.

South Minneapolis has some excellent schools, including some of the best public high schools in the state (South High School did quite well in the most recent US News Report, for example). Small does not necessarily equal better. A bigger city also offers many opportunities that can't be found in a smaller city. Both options have their pros and cons; it's a personal choice. I would agree that probably most areas of St. Cloud are better for raising kids than the intersection of 38th and Chicago, but we're talking one tiny, tiny part of Minneapolis. You don't even have to go very far away from 38th and Chicago to be in a decent area.

I can understand why some people would prefer St. Cloud, and certainly in the OP's case considerations like family come into play. There is nothing inherently across-the-board "better" about raising kids in a smaller city versus a bigger city; it comes down to personal situation and preferences.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I grew up in Minneapolis. I have a kid. I would definitely choose Minneapolis over St. Cloud for my child. I can't imagine ever moving to St. Cloud to raise a child; it would be far, far down on my list of places, although that's not to say it's not an excellent option for others who have different circumstances or tastes.

South Minneapolis has some excellent schools, including some of the best public high schools in the state (South High School did quite well in the most recent US News Report, for example). Small does not necessarily equal better. A bigger city also offers many opportunities that can't be found in a smaller city. Both options have their pros and cons; it's a personal choice. I would agree that probably most areas of St. Cloud are better for raising kids than the intersection of 38th and Chicago, but we're talking one tiny, tiny part of Minneapolis. You don't even have to go very far away from 38th and Chicago to be in a decent area.

I can understand why some people would prefer St. Cloud, and certainly in the OP's case considerations like family come into play. There is nothing inherently across-the-board "better" about raising kids in a smaller city versus a bigger city; it comes down to personal situation and preferences.
I 100% agree with this post. Also, Categorizing all of South Minneapolis as low income is just plain ignorant. You're talking about an area of 100,000 people. There is some poverty but there are alot of very well off people as well. Minnesconsinite clearly does not have enough knowledge/experience about South Minneapolis to be able to form a true opinion about it...sounds like he/she is basing the opinion on largely untrue assumptions.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Since the OP left an area of Minneapolis that she could afford ( and got victimized by crime) why do posters assume she could move back to a better area of Minneapolis and afford it ?

welfare checks don't allow one to live in any area they want regardless of costs.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Since the OP left an area of Minneapolis that she could afford ( and got victimized by crime) why do posters assume she could move back to a better area of Minneapolis and afford it ?

welfare checks don't allow one to live in any area they want regardless of costs.
Because we're talking about 38th and Chicago in South Minneapolis. You can literally go a few blocks south or east of there and get into a safer neighborhood at essentially the same rent and buy prices. We live within 2 miles of that intersection and our neighborhood rarely has safety issues, with houses in the area going for sub 150k and very affordable apartments available.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slig View Post
i know it's unfair for me to just flat out say that st. Cloud sucks but it clearly isn't a fit for the op, someone who is accustomed to urban life and relies on public transportation to get around. I think the obvious solution to the problem would be to move back to minneapolis and maybe find a place that isn't in the proximity of one of the most notorious intersections in the city. The op would have no problems living in a neighborhood like the one i live in....which happens to be very close to where she was living.

St. Cloud isn't a terrible place, it's just a sprawling mess based on division st and with all the same issues that knke already pointed out. I just feel it's kind of isolated up there and there really aren't any options for eating/shopping besides generic chains and the crossroads mall (which is one of the few places worth visiting there in my opinion.)

i will tell you one of the few things that impressed me about st. Cloud, that they have street vendors set up outside the bars at bar close. Nothing hits the spot like a gyro/hot dog coming out of the red carpet at 2 am!

hahaha!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 PM

I would think if someone is mature enough to be an expectant mother, they would be thinking of --------what's best for us -- when comparing locations, nstead of wanting more fun for herself.

No wonder why the cycle continues unbroken for generation after generation !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota