Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

I've decided that it's time to make a concentrated effort to see all of Minnesota (loosely defined as visiting all regions, and as many counties as possible), including (and especially) the more unusual or off-the-beaten-path options. Any suggestions? I'm looking for sites to visit, places to stay, events to attend, big statues to see, etc. Sample things I've found so far include the world's largest hockey stick, the Agate Stampede, Aronson Boatwork's mailboat delivery service on Lake Vermilion, and Naniboujou Lodge, to name a few.

At this point I'm looking for things outside of the Twin Cities metro area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
The road between Ortonville, MN and Big Stone City, SD is very close to where the Minnesota River starts (southern end of Big Stone Lake), and Paul Bunyan's boat anchor is up on the hill above the city.

There an old city park in Ortonville that is also worth visiting, I think, in the center of town down in a hollow with a little stone bridge and a stone-lined path that goes up the hill. Not much to it, but the stonework looks like it's 1000 years old.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Well one of the places Id say would be Breckenridge, Mn. because of its historic value and interest.
In its early days as a city it had been layed out to be actually larger than Mpls.
Historic Fort Abercrombia is only a few miles away. In the waining years of the Indian Wars the town was destryed with the remaining men who stayed behind to defend the city.
More can be learned about these incredible events here. The Siege of* Fort Abercrombie (http://www.ftabercrombie.org/ftabersiege.html - broken link)

Thanks

Old 11-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Angle Inlet, Mn is the Northernmost Post Office in the lower 48, also has the Northenmost one room school, Angle School.

Baudette Mn boasts of being the Walleye Capital of the World, and they have the largest statue of a walleye to back it up.

Here is helpful information to find the oddities and little known "secrets" of the state
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/mn/all

Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM

But, who could forget Walker Minnesota, for the EEL POUT FESTIVAL?
This is great fun, let me tell you! The four or five times Ive been to this there are miniture cities set up on the ice with nothing but fun times to be had!
Sno-mobiles made into cars, army tanks made into four wheel drive vehicles (Or the other way around) bowling allies, volley ball mountain ranges decorated with camo netting and back to back traffic from one end of the lake to another!
If you go no other place make this at least once, for a lifelong memory, and 4x4 vehicles having fun in the snow
Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 04:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Maybe you could center your trips around local town festivals? The majority of the towns around MN have some kind of celebration. You could plan weekend trips to see those. Most are going to be in the summer, but not all. These celebrations often have great names, Catfish Derby Days in Franklin, MN, Boxelder Bug Days in Minneota, Aebleskiver Days in Tyler, MN, etc.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking of visiting lots of county fairs, but the local festivals sound like more fun. Eelpout, aebleskiver (yum!), boxelder bugs... I hope these places all sell souvenirs! I'm going to start making a calendar right now.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 PM

White Buffalo Monument, Reconciliation Park, across from Mankato, Mn library.
December 26, people gather here for prayer and rememberance.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 PM

Pelan Park and Pioneer Village, restored pioneer villiage NW Mn.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM

Warroad, Mn has three historical markers. One marker explains how the city obtained its name from its earliest inhabitants, The Chippewa Native Americans.

The historic marker at the Point, one of the earliest French explores to the area. He established Fort St. Charles on Lake of the Woods in 1732.

The Old Canadian National Depot is on the National Registory of Historic Buildings.

Warroad Heritage Museum open year round.
Early French explorers and Chippewa are buried in the area.

St. Marys Catholic Church dedicated 1954, largest all weather log chruch in the world. Constructed of logs and hand split shakes. Forty foot bell tower which was designed as a replica of the Cross of Cairn of stones, erected on Massacare Island, the site where Father Aulneau was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota