Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM

36 posts, read 86,233 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Hoping you can help... We currently live in the greater Phoenix,
Arizona area and we are looking to relocate.

A little about us:
We are in our early 30's, the parents of a special needs (heart
defect) daughter who is adopted. We are looking for the idyllic
"quaint" area. I grew up outside of San Francisco but went to high
school in Sheboygan, WI and my husband grew up in Jackson Hole,
Wyoming. We like the smaller communities and we're looking for a small
town feel with some amenities. I'd like a community where one can get
involved, one with good schools, a middle-class cost of living, and
very safe. My daughter will require numerous heart surgeries over the
course of her life, so we're looking at the top 25 pediatric
cardiology facilities and searching a 45 mile radius around the area.

In Arizona, kids can't do sports in the summer because of the heat. No
kids play outside, and after 5 years in my current home, I still don't
know most of my neighbors. I'd like a town where kids play outside,
the neighbors know one another, the town goes to the high school
football games.

My husband is a claims adjuster for a large insurance company and
works from home, so we're very flexible. I am a stay-at-home mother,
so being able to do things with my child is important.

I enjoy a milder climate, but I'm flexible.

I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM

664 posts, read 1,947,721 times
I hope more people can answer who live in Rochester, but I just wanted to add that Rochester is pretty small compared to Phoenix...heck compared to Phoenis it's probably really small. I only know of a few small towns near Rochester, Oronoco is one..but honestly it's TINY and may be to small for you. Like I said I am sure you'll get more responses. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,355,051 times
Stewartville and Byron (both within 5 minutes of Rochester) have very good schools, what they lack in amenities they can find in Rochester. Stewartville is close enough to a Super Target, Lowe's, Fleet Farm, Dick's Sporting Goods, Best Buy, etc., that you really don't need to go into town. There are lots of very nice small towns within 45 miles of Rochester. I'm not sure on stuff like the town going to the football games and such, but I'll ask around about some of the towns and see if people know.

The winters here are shorter than northern Minnesota (where I grew up) and definitely not as cold. There are still the bitterly cold days but fewer. So far we have had snow on the ground once and our snow is usually all gone by early April at the latest (in my experience).

I think Rochester is a great area and if I moved out of Rochester but stayed in the area, my first choices would be Stewartville and Byron.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Hope this has helped some.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,355,051 times
Rochester's population is 102,000+. Oronoco is tiny and not much there - not even a gas station anymore. Nice newer developments there but other than that not much to it.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
I was going to suggest Stewartville too. I have driven through Spring Valley a few times and it is a really nicely kept small town that looks like a nice place to live but Stewartville would be larger and more convenient to Rochester.

North of Rochester, Cannon Falls would be an option. Northfield would also be a consideration (that is getting close to the 40 minute drive though). Northfield just has more right in town than some of these other places and puts you 40 minutes from the Twin Cities too.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,738,077 times
Most of the previously mentioned communities are just bedroom towns with everything that implys ( tract homes,etc.). If you want a REAL COUNTRY town look where I live....I work in Rochester and live in Blooming Prairie. Blooming is 40 miles dues west of Rochester on state hwy 30 (resurfaced this year) or you can take hwy 14 (new 4 lane) We have a population of 1900 or so. we built a new school last year 7-12 the elementary k-6 is about 15 yrs old but we put in new air handlers last year. BP is nicely located half way between Owatonna and Austin (15 mile Nth or South) on state 218 (resurfaced ths yr)....... Between Roch and those 2 there is everything you would need. If you want ,the Mall of America is within 1 hr drive. Also Mpls/ St Paul have every cultural option you may want. We moved here from California 10 yrs ago and I promised my wife that our kids would still have access to the Arts,Zoos,everything that San Jose had and I was right..... The only detractor to Blooming is the School Team name..... You can look it up. We are in the top 5 worst named schools in the country!!! THE AWESOME BLOSSOMS..
Be well and good luck.....

Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 PM

429 posts, read 1,149,004 times
I'm a big fan of all of the above ---Rochester is a beautiful area!

And, regarding the climate, I'm from Southern California and I've learned to LOVE Minnesota's weather, actually prefer it! You've just got to go with it, not against it. Do winter things in winter and summer things in summer. Your kids will fill you in after they hear what fun their friends are having.

Welcome to Minnesota!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 AM

18 posts, read 61,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesefam View Post
Hi all!

Hoping you can help... We currently live in the greater Phoenix,
Arizona area and we are looking to relocate.

A little about us:
We are in our early 30's, the parents of a special needs (heart
defect) daughter who is adopted. We are looking for the idyllic
"quaint" area. I grew up outside of San Francisco but went to high
school in Sheboygan, WI and my husband grew up in Jackson Hole,
Wyoming. We like the smaller communities and we're looking for a small
town feel with some amenities. I'd like a community where one can get
involved, one with good schools, a middle-class cost of living, and
very safe. My daughter will require numerous heart surgeries over the
course of her life, so we're looking at the top 25 pediatric
cardiology facilities and searching a 45 mile radius around the area.

In Arizona, kids can't do sports in the summer because of the heat. No
kids play outside, and after 5 years in my current home, I still don't
know most of my neighbors. I'd like a town where kids play outside,
the neighbors know one another, the town goes to the high school
football games.

My husband is a claims adjuster for a large insurance company and
works from home, so we're very flexible. I am a stay-at-home mother,
so being able to do things with my child is important.

I enjoy a milder climate, but I'm flexible.

I appreciate your help!
Why not consider Rochester? You'd be right here at the clinic and it's a nice town based upon your requirements. It's by no means a big city, but it's not as "quaint" as its neighboring towns of Pine Island, Stewartville and Byron.

I live on the farthest Southwest edge of Rochester. My kids go to Rochester schools (which I've found to be quite good for the most part), but I live close enough to Stewartville that I prefer to drive into that town for the library since they can get everything I need and can still park only steps from the front door.

Honest, for what you're looking for, I'd seriously consider Rochester. If you need something smaller and more "quaint," you might look into Pine Island. But, of all the local choices, I think Rochester has the most to offer for a small-town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota