Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 22,330 times

Advertisements

Hey PghPaNative,

I currently live in St. Cloud and go to SCSU. I'm not sure what size of town you are coming from, but for having over 60,000 residents, St. Cloud does not feel big at all.

I would agree with the other members that Sartell is known for having the "best" schools, but Sartell also has the highest taxes in the area. I know many people that either go or have graduated from St. Cloud schools, and I certainly feel that you can get a quality education there also.

I would say that Private School in this area is a waste of money if you cannot afford it, or even if you can.

There are a lot of new "family oriented" communites popping up all over St. Cloud, Sartell, and Sauk Rapids. They include walking trails, community pools, and just have a great neighborhood feel. Right now the St. Cloud Home Tour is going on so there are a lot of open houses in the area. The market is kind of slow here at the moment so I'm sure you could get a great deal on a home.

But anyway, good luck with your search. I think if you want big town amenities but a small town feel, you'd be happy in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,406 times
I'd have to agree with the posting earlier about Sartell schools being the best in the area. But the taxes are higher with them. Also check out Sauk Rapids schools, they are very good too. St. Joseph has it's own elementary and they are expanding to include Middle school and hopefully highschool (they are currently part of the St. Cloud School District). I used to be a sub for the St. Cloud school district, and out of all the elementary schools in district 742, St. Joseph's Kennedy, is the best in my opinion.

I've lived a lot of places in my life, but I've lived here for 6 years now, and wouldn't live anywhere else, we love it here!

There are also several support groups for moms who stay at home with their kids. These include MOMS Club, MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers), Moms (they meet at a church called Calvary), and the La Leche League. Best of luck!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrose View Post
hey, the city of Becker- just one half hour drive (on Hwy 10) to St. Cloud - is a clean, conservative small town community. There's a great golf course, many lakes around the town and also miles of trails to cross country ski and hike in the surrounding Sand Dunes State Forest and Sherburne County National Wildlife Refuge. They also have a wonderful community center, with an indoor pool and waterslide, and fitness center ...the place definitely rivals any Minnneapolis community center!

The high school and middle school share a state of the art field house for indoor practice of any sport. The coaches and teachers at their schools can not be beat. The schools have more than most school districts in the metropolitan area.

There are a lot of rural homes, and also new developments in the city limits. If you like to hunt and fish, then this area is for you. A commute to St. Cloud is easy, as well as only an hour drive to a job in the Twin Cities. Check it out, this town has everything a family could want!
With a wonderful view of a Power Plant.

Becker would be great, if you didnt have to see that all day, destroying the ozone layer.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
With a wonderful view of a Power Plant.

Becker would be great, if you didnt have to see that all day, destroying the ozone layer.
Has anybody noticed how messy some of the yards are in Becker. The same can be said of Monticello and Albertville. Mainly in the neighborhoods with all of those cookie cutter split levels.

That power plant is a big eyesore. Isn't it one of the worst polluters in the state?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
I am on may way to be immigarted to US, Minnesota with my family from Eastern part of Africa and want to settle in St. Cloud, Would you please give some idea of what the town realy like and the situation of living and working for immigrants from Africa like me.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:22 PM

305 posts, read 991,526 times
Default Hows the jobs in Saint Cloud?

How are jobs in Saint Cloud? I wanna move up their but kind of scared to take a chance. Tired of the BIG cities and I love Saint Cloud so much. Any info on jobs? Thanks!!!!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:35 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alazargkal View Post
I am on may way to be immigarted to US, Minnesota with my family from Eastern part of Africa and want to settle in St. Cloud, Would you please give some idea of what the town realy like and the situation of living and working for immigrants from Africa like me.
Honestly, I wouldn't expect locals to roll out the welcome wagon. There is some animosity from long time residents towards the thousands of East Africans that have moved into town. Many Somali families have moved in from Rochester. There's also quite a rivalry that's developed between East African and African American students.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM

305 posts, read 991,526 times
When I lived in St.Cloud from 1977 to 1985 their were hardly any black families. Wow how things change. I am surprised coming from africa they like Minnesota and the cold weather. In the twin cities I work with alot of Somalis and they love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota