Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 AM

4,364 posts, read 6,559,136 times

Advertisements

How about those off or on the road restaurants, taverns/bars and cafes? What are your favorites here in Rural Minnesota. Suburban locations from the Cities ok too...

As we trek across the state in search of nature, recreation and life in general, we always find the need to stop and refuel both our cars and our selves. Please share with me you discoveries so that I can plan to hit them on my next in-state road trip.

What is that Can't miss place you know about? Please do tell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM

4,364 posts, read 6,559,136 times
I'll begin with some of my local favorites...

In Sebeka we have two choices, J's Cafe on the Main Street and on Highway 71 the American Legion. Both offer good burgers but J's is busy as can be at Breakfast time. This one is the best for that starter meal. The Legion has great Pizza and a bunch of bar foods. Both places offer a Dollar Burger Night. Two Stars (both)

In Park Rapids, Kahn's Mongoian Barbeque is Great! I love the food there, it's both exceptional and at a good value. Four Stars

Also in the PR the Third Street Market and Cafe is a wonderous stop. They have every herb and spice or vitamin known to mankind. The food there more of a Soup and Sandwich type but is always good. thethirdstreetmarket.com However when on Main Street in Park Rapids one can't go wrong. Schwarzwald Inn there on Main Street has wonderful German food included on their menu. I rate Schwarzwald Inn four Stars our of five.

Over in Dorset MN there are several restaurants worthy of mention, first and foremost is COMPANEROS Mexican Restaurant. Food there is fist class. LaPasta Italian Restaurant and General Store is Excellent also. Dorset is a perfect stop for any road trip between Walker and Park Rapids.
Both Places rate Five Stars

Honorable Mention to Emmaville Cafe on Highway 4. One has to see that to believe it. You stop by and rate it!

Out on the edge of Park Rapids at the bottom of Long Lake is the Hilltop. Great Steak on the menu there and what a location. It is right near the Long Lake Community Theater. Five Stars

More to come... Please add yours. (This weeked we are trying Ted & Gen's Bar-B-Q in Aldrich)

Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 AM

989 posts, read 2,972,803 times
Default Gordy's HighHat

Burger joint in cloquet on 53. Old School Burger joint that has been around forever. Great burgers and fries.

I would also throw in Lions Pub on 169. Not sure if its shokopee or Chanhansen.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:36 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,253,475 times
great food at low prices----------Hometown Cafe on mainstreet Sauk Centre (hwy 71)

Gene-O's in Long Praire ( hwy 71)

Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,253,475 times
for great food at a "unique place" -----I would recommend the Palmer House in Sauk Centre( hwy 71 also )

(higher priced than the other 2, but a great place and great food)

Old 11-14-2008, 01:39 PM

243 posts, read 596,195 times
What a great thread!

One of my favorites is the Rustic Inn in Castle Danger, MN (along the North Shore). One of their specialties is the "more than a sandwich". We drive up from Duluth every few months, and the food is always homemade, with the best pie we've had (about 20 types each day from what I recall).

Old 11-14-2008, 05:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,490,153 times
Silver Dollar Bar in Ghent, MN. They have the BEST burgers around. The BEST steakhouse is in Kinbrae, MN--cleverly enough called the Kinbrae Steak House. From the outside it looks like a good stiff wind would blow the place down, inside you will find an absolutely beautiful 30 foot mahogany bar and a great atmosphere AND the best steaks anywhere (Including Manny's, Ruth' Cris and anything in the metro--I've been to them all). Kinbrae is also about 1/2 the cost. They have a place in Okaboji, IA too.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM

987 posts, read 3,830,374 times
You gotta eat the schnitzel at the Schwarzwald Inn in Park Rapids. It's twice as big as the plate.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 AM

886 posts, read 5,728,002 times
The Brauhaus The best German food that I have had since living in Germany. I have not been back in 5 years and I am not sure if it is still there or not. It is located just off HWY 34 in Park Rapids.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:47 AM

721 posts, read 2,617,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Burger joint in cloquet on 53. Old School Burger joint that has been around forever. Great burgers and fries.

I would also throw in Lions Pub on 169. Not sure if its shokopee or Chanhansen.
The burger joint is on Hwy 33 in Cloquet, Gordy's Hi-Hat, and is routinely rated one of the top burger joints in the state. Only open in the summer.

Try the Vanilla Bean in Two Harbors for some good coffee and food. It is attached to a bakery, yum.

Emily's on Scenic 61 in Knife River, I think. The place has good pie and is also a B&B.

Amazing Grace Bakery and Cafe in Duluth (Canal Park) for good coffee, fresh baked bread, and a great sandwich. It's in the basement of the Dewitt's building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota