Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 24,249 times

Advertisements

Wowo, was considering moving in to the Eden Prairie area Summer 2009. However I just read some alarming posts. Bad areas of Eden Prairie?? Since when?? I never remember there being any crime in E.P.
So would it be safe to assume that Apple Valley is a safer area than Eden Prairie? I am soo confused LOL. I need a safe, newer suburb that has a very good school system. PLease help me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM

394 posts, read 1,526,108 times
Eden Prairie is fine, no worries there. Whoever said that doesn't know what they are talking about. Apple Valley is fine...

Minneapolis/St Paul suburbs are pretty easy to understand. There is the older, first ring suburbs, then the next wave of super suburbs, and then the outter suburbs that are semi-rural.

Older:
Robbinsdale, Golden Valley, Columbia Heights, Fridley, Brooklyn Center, Bloomington, Richfield, Maplewood, Edina, New Hope, Crystal, Roseville, Falcon Heights, St. Anthony, West St Paul, South St Paul, West St Paul, Hopkins, Brooklyn Park, Little Canada, Osseo, Hilltop, Landfall, St Louis Park.

Super Suburbs:
Maple Grove, Plymouth, Coon Rapids, Blaine, Eden Prairie, Burnsville, Oakdale, Woodbury, Anoka, Mendota Heights, Eagan, Apple Valley, Savage, Shoreview, Mounds View, North Oaks, Spring Lake Park, Minnetonka, Wayzata, Rosemount, Lakeville, Inver Grove Heights,Lexington, Cirlce Pines, Cottage Grove, Champlin

Outer Suburbs:
Otsego, Ham Lake, Elk River, Ramsey, Chanhassen, Chaska, Mahtomedi, Corcoran, Hugo, Lake Elmo, Farmington, Forest Lake, Lino Lakes, St. Michael, Rogers, Prior Lake, Albertville, Monticello, Stillwater, Oak Park Heights...

My best judgements, they all have their reasons, but nothing in particular.. Factors like school size, proximity to center city, traffic cooridors, Population, land area, etc.. were what made my choices.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,655,728 times
"Bad" is relative. "Bad" in Eden Prairie might mean that their neighbors don't water their lawn vs "bad" in North Minneapolis with drive-by shootings and drug dealers on the corner.

EP and AV are both fine. Where will you be working? You will want to pick something close to that. We are partial to the 196 schools but EP is good as well.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:11 PM

Thanks!! I just got a job at Fairview Southdale, currently am living in West Bloomington. I feel the suburb of Bloomington is getting old, run down and crime will increase on the West side in the next 5-10 years. My opinion.
Love Apple Valley. Friendly people, space and I hear nothing but great reviews regarding the schools. However I do not want to commute from Apple Valley HWY 77 to 494 everyday in traffic!! Looking for a newer nicer areas however I am not interested in keeping up so to speak with what Eden Prairie preaches. So I am stuck LOL. Do I move into Eden Prairie as it will be close to work, OR do I deal with the commute from Apple Valley. Thats why I am soo confused LOL

Old 09-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Thanks!! I just got a job at Fairview Southdale, currently am living in West Bloomington. I feel the suburb of Bloomington is getting old, run down and crime will increase on the West side in the next 5-10 years. My opinion.
Love Apple Valley. Friendly people, space and I hear nothing but great reviews regarding the schools. However I do not want to commute from Apple Valley HWY 77 to 494 everyday in traffic!! Looking for a newer nicer areas however I am not interested in keeping up so to speak with what Eden Prairie preaches. So I am stuck LOL. Do I move into Eden Prairie as it will be close to work, OR do I deal with the commute from Apple Valley. Thats why I am soo confused LOL
The commute up Cedar is not bad, I agree that 494 is horrible BUT, the Crosstown, even with the construction isn't all that bad and is an easier route to Fairview. Just something to keep in mind.

There are other options if you want to be in the 196 schools-Eagan and Rosemount. Eagan gives you a little easier commute and is slightly more expensive then Rosemount and Apple Valley, but not too much. Rosemount is an easier commute then a lot of places in Apple Valley (anything south of 140th street basically) because you don't have to deal with the stop lights on Cedar or Pilot Knob (the two major north bound roads out of AV). Rosemount is a more laid back town then Eagan too. You also have Eastview High schools, etc. so that is another option but again, you would want to live north of 140th or closer to Diamond Path.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks again for your help. I am not quite sure what school is better Apple Valley or Eastview. I am sure I will figure it out LOL.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Thanks again for your help. I am not quite sure what school is better Apple Valley or Eastview. I am sure I will figure it out LOL.
You will have to define "better" for your answer. Eastview has the highest test scores in the district (by a small margin) but there are Eden Prairie type issues there . Apple Valley has the reputation of being a little rougher around the edges but still academically very good. Rosemount is where all the teachers want to teach--personally my favorite. Eagan is very good but still a bit more on the EP issue side.

I was talking to a woman who's oldest child went to Apple Valley High school and boundaries were redrawn when her next child went to high school and he went to Rosemount. She said that overall the students at Rosemount were more respectful, more down to earth type kids then what she saw at Apple Valley--granted this is one person's observation but it fits with their 'reputation' too.

If you can, take a day and visit each of the schools and see which one fits your family best. Many people in the district pick where they want to live or open enroll based on activities offered at the schools. If your child is a wrestler, Apple Valley is the place to be. If your child excels in band, Rosemount is your school just for a couple examples.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 PM

68 posts, read 278,055 times
Oh my gosh.....I can't believe that Lakeville was missing from the first list of suburbs!!!! It was ranked 4# in nation as best place to live recently. It is SO safe, great community and great schools.

Make sure to take a look, you may be missing out on a good fit.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,260,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim825 View Post
Oh my gosh.....I can't believe that Lakeville was missing from the first list of suburbs!!!! It was ranked 4# in nation as best place to live recently. It is SO safe, great community and great schools.

Make sure to take a look, you may be missing out on a good fit.
Lakeville was listed as a "Super Suburb".

Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 AM

481 posts, read 1,827,553 times
Why do you think crime in West Bloomington will increase in the next 5-10 years? I'm asking because I'm considering a move to west bloomington and always thought it to be very safe and stable, if a bit boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota