Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 13,897 times

Advertisements

My company is relocating me to Bloomington, Minnesota, and I have been looking into buying a home in one of the towns south or west of there. I'm hoping that someone reading this post has some exprerience or knowledge about what it is like living in Lakeville or other towns nearby. Thank you, Lucas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,337 times
Default Lakeville or bust

I'm a huge Lakeville fan - I've lived here a long time and bought/sold a bunch of homes here.

I wouldn't say that Lakeville has any bad areas yet - but I think there are some areas that have promise and some that don't.

Besides the lakes, parks, and people - my wife and I love the fact that, in 30 minutes, we can be sitting at our table in downtown Minneapolis with drinks ordered. The airport is about 20 minutes from here as well.

I cannot think of a single bad thing about the school system either. You see, there is Lakeville, and other places that wished they were Lakeville (like Rosemount). Golfgal, you agree?

But as far as finding a house, I can tell you that there are some TREMENDOUS buys down here. One of my clients bought a nice 4 bed/3 bath home for about $225K. It needed some updating and decorating, but it was a fantastic house.

Welcome to Minnesota!

Robert

Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 PM

23 posts, read 104,849 times
I'm also a huge fan of Lakeville, even though I've never lived there. It's a nice humble town with great schools. Between Lakeville and other neighboring suburbs, you'll find everything you need. The drive to Bloomington isn't bad either. Enjoy!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Um, Robert, it's the other way around, Lakeville wishes it were Rosemount . Seriously though, in MN, especially the southern suburbs you pick a district based on your interests. The quality of education between the various schools is virtually the same. If you have kids that are big into music/band, you go to Rosemount. If you have kids that are stellar football players, you go to Eden Prairie. Lakeville is pretty good all around in all the sports, especially girls sports. The only drawback with Lakeville is the potential commute. If you can find a spot where you don't have to use 35W, commuting to Bloomington is easy (where in Bloomington though)? Rosemount has a SLIGHT edge in the commute factor because we are about 5 minutes closer to Bloomington.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:39 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,019 times
Lived in Lakeville for a few years......

Housing is nice. Big lots, very big in some cases. Lots of trees. If you have allergies, beware -- I was sick continually when I lived there, the worst -- by far -- of anywhere I've lived.

Not a lot of out-of-state newcomers... we found it very tough to meet people. We would occasionally chat with neighbors, but never found ourselves invited to anyone's house. Over three years, we never met anyone at all.

I'd actually recommend the western suburbs for a newcomer, based on my experience. Lakeville is quiet -- very quiet. It wasn't for me, but you might feel different.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:28 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Lakeville is suburban, really really suburban. I lived there for a decade and am glad I moved. Its not bad, dangerous, filled with minorities or dirty. But that leaves a very bland, banal city with little to do. The commute was getting worse and it was growing wholly too fast (a new elementary every few years) It is very homogonous and very Republican (and not the moderate Edina type). Even other suburbs have more things to do (I never thought I would be calling Eden Prairie "fun") Lakeville is a great place if thats what your looking for, take a hard look into it before you make a decision.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 PM

35 posts, read 45,570 times
Hi all,

I know this post is several years old but I see that some of the responders are still active users. With so much growth in Lakeville over recent years, is it still pretty much the same as reported above? Changed for better or worse?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
IMHO it depends on how much tolerance you have for development and condominiums. I personally wouldn't live in Lakeville now for anything, due to the mentioned. But if you're coming from a larger more populous place, you might not think that the congestion and overdevelopment of what once was a pretty place is too bad. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
If you like the typical white-bread, soccer/hockey mom, outer-ring suburban experience, Lakeville is perfect for you.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
If you like the typical white-bread, soccer/hockey mom, outer-ring suburban experience, Lakeville is perfect for you.
Hmmm. Sounds perfect for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota