Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 9,795 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am possibly going to be relocating to Marshall, MN for a new job in the coming months.
I have been trying to do what I can now to find a place to live and find stuff to do.

I was wondering if anyone could give me their take on the area.
I am 35 and single. I am not looking to buy a home, but looking for a place to rent.
One of my main concerns right now is it seems like places to rent in the area are pretty hard to find.
Is this a pretty good assumption?
Any suggestions on where to look? If I get this job I will likely be making the transition in mid to late April.

One of my current hobbies is Homebrewing (Beer). Is there a homebrew store in town?

I am also into Astrophotography one of the reasons I am excited to move to MN is because of the ability to see the Aurora. I am currently in Michigan, but in the thumb area so it is hard to see the aurora here.
Does anyone do night photography in the area? Are there any good spots?

I understand Marshall is a pretty small town and I am ok with that. I currently live in a town with about the same population. So I am used to there not being a lot going on and I am ok with that.

I am just hoping the town is friendly and meeting people and making friends will not be a huge challenge.

Thank you for any tips and insights on the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 PM

210 posts, read 285,686 times
Finding a house to rent would be extremely tough but there should be plenty of apartments available. Marshall does not have a home brew store but they do have a brewery. They have a big shindig every year in the fall and the music is so loud that a person living within a mile would have a hard time getting to sleep before midnight. Just ask me. I live a mile from the brewery. I made sure I was out of town during that weekend last year.

I do a lot of photography and have just recently been thinking about attempting night and storm photography. The problem about the storms is, thunder storms are very rare around here. You would need to get out of town for any night photography.

Personally, my dog is my only true friend in Marshall, which is the way I like it. My wife on the other hand, has several. I've also heard that Marshall has it's cliques so it may take awhile. I wouldn't even know how to begin looking. But, for the most part, I'd say Marshall is friendly enough.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:50 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoggins View Post
Hello everyone,

I am possibly going to be relocating to Marshall, MN for a new job in the coming months.
I have been trying to do what I can now to find a place to live and find stuff to do.

I am 35 and single. I am not looking to buy a home, but looking for a place to rent.
One of my main concerns right now is it seems like places to rent in the area are pretty hard to find.
Any suggestions on where to look? If I get this job I will likely be making the transition in mid to late April.

One of my current hobbies is Homebrewing (Beer). Is there a homebrew store in town?

I am also into Astrophotography one of the reasons I am excited to move to MN is because of the ability to see the Aurora. I am currently in Michigan, but in the thumb area so it is hard to see the aurora here.

I understand Marshall is a pretty small town and I am ok with that. I currently live in a town with about the same population. So I am used to there not being a lot going on and I am ok with that.

I am just hoping the town is friendly and meeting people and making friends will not be a huge challenge.

YOU could go further north and see the northern lights better in many places.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:04 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Marshall, MN Residential Properties | Carr Properties

Thats about the bulk of the apartments in Marshall.

Or else check craigslist.

https://marshall.craigslist.org/apa/6058999079.html
https://marshall.craigslist.org/apa/6042424719.html
https://marshall.craigslist.org/apa/6032177207.html
https://marshall.craigslist.org/apa/6032160362.html

It's a town of like 13,000 people and the nearest cities are quite a distance aways with nothing but cornfields and farms in between. Theres not going to exactly be a plethora of apartments to choose from.

Quote:
Hello everyone,

It's a secluded town of about 13,000-14,000 people and about 10 square miles, absolutely nothing close by besides rinky dink decrepit towns of a couple hundred people (My grandma currently lives in Wabasso, MN and my mom grew up on a farm between Redwood Falls and Marshall in the middle of nowhere.) Has a Walmart, Shopko, Hyvee. The Kmart closed years ago. Sioux Falls, SD is about 90 miles away, Mankato about 100 miles, Willmar about 68 miles and Minneapolis about 154 miles. Marshall also has a college, Southwest Minnesota State University.
It's a small town, obviously there isn't going to be a plethora of apartments to choose from.
Yes
Umm, look in Marshall?

No. And like I said, the nearest cities like Sioux Falls and Mankato are all quite a ways away. It's a secluded town.

Click this link to see a Google Map of all the photography places in town.
https://tinyurl.com/MarshallPhotography

One thing to consider, Marshall is really secluded like I already said. How close is your current town/city to other cities? Also where are you moving from? A northern state or somewhere down south where you don't get snow like you do in Minnesota? Also have to remember during winter the roads in the middle of nowhere aren't plowed regularly like in a big city. Google Maps says about 1 hour 37 minutes to Sioux Falls from Marshall but you can double that if the roads are real bad, and at that point it's recommended you just stay home and shop online instead.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 03-27-2017 at 04:26 AM..

Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Here is another property owner to check out. Rent Marshall | Commercial Rentals | Greig & Gregerson LLC

Old 04-04-2017, 05:48 AM

5 posts, read 9,795 times
Thanks everyone for the replies!
It has been very helpful.
I have a decent idea of where I am going to try and move into if I end up getting this job.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I have a decent idea of where I am going to try and move into if I end up getting this job.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota