Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,099,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
The fact no one replied to this comment tells you all you need to know about Minnesoata: passive aggressive, icy cold weather and icy people. They're all rolling their eyes at you while smiling. You seem.... Interesting. If you'd like to spend years trying to break into cliques formed in kindergarten, Minnesota will suit you well.

My .02
And it begins...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 10:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,099,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonsmamma3 View Post
My husband and my 3 yr old son and i are looking to relocate from Northern California to Minnesota this jan or april. We know that the winters are very miserable long and cold in mn and thats one of the reasons we decided on mn. We dont get winter here in northern cali. We get droughts and fires non stop. We get about 2 weeks of rain the 100 plus degree weather year round it seems. I would like to get any over all advice since we have not lived in mn before nor have we visited before. Also looking on advice for town to live in on the outskirts of the twin cities? All advice is much needed thank you
Not knowing your budget, I would recommend Carver, Hastings, Stillwater, or potentially Shakopee as nice suburbs on the outskirts of town to check out.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:37 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,380,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
The fact no one replied to this comment tells you all you need to know about Minnesoata: passive aggressive, icy cold weather and icy people. They're all rolling their eyes at you while smiling. You seem.... Interesting. If you'd like to spend years trying to break into cliques formed in kindergarten, Minnesota will suit you well.

My .02
The fact that you think an entire 88 minutes delay in the middle of the night is unreasonable tells us all we need to know about yet another self important Californian. And you wonder why people don't like hearing Californians moving in.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:28 PM

210 posts, read 286,535 times
Time for MN to start putting up a fence.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:48 PM

1,081 posts, read 550,249 times
Quote:
My husband and my 3 yr old son and i are looking to relocate from Northern California to Minnesota this jan or april. We know that the winters are very miserable long and cold in mn and thats one of the reasons we decided on mn. We dont get winter here in northern cali. We get droughts and fires non stop. We get about 2 weeks of rain the 100 plus degree weather year round it seems. I would like to get any over all advice since we have not lived in mn before nor have we visited before. Also looking on advice for town to live in on the outskirts of the twin cities? All advice is much needed thank you
I was looking for a "new" place a few years back for me and my family and Lakeville, MN was on my short list.
However, I ended up on the east side of Wisconsin.

Around the Twin Cities, I can highly recommend Lakeville and Woodbury. If you want to be out of the Twin Cities but still able to commute, you could try Hudson, Wi. It's just a bridge away.

You can look up some of my oldest posts and for the responses I received when looking in the Twin Cities area. Then look at my more recent posts and you'll see what drew me to the area I'm in now.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:02 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,482,155 times
Winter isn't miserable, people with negative attitudes are. Even summers in Texas, with how brutal they are, can be enjoyed with the right state of mind. (and with access to somewhere to swim!)

Old 10-12-2015, 09:07 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,672,611 times
AtlasTraveler is wrong, we are not icy cold.
I've been to CA many times and hope to move there someday, surprised you want to come here. We have nice weather quite a bit but the winter is not my favorite. What do you need to know exactly?
Here is a photo I took yesterday on our 80 degree October day.
Northern Cali Vs Minnesota-20151011_074843-0-3.jpg

Old 10-16-2015, 02:53 PM

604 posts, read 935,737 times
Quote:
My husband and my 3 yr old son and i are looking to relocate from Northern California to Minnesota this jan or april. We know that the winters are very miserable long and cold in mn and thats one of the reasons we decided on mn. We dont get winter here in northern cali. We get droughts and fires non stop. We get about 2 weeks of rain the 100 plus degree weather year round it seems....
Northern CA and "...two weeks of rain...." ? Having lived most of my life (and born) in CA I'm surprised at this description. Northern California is not unlike Oregon and gets a ton of rain when there's not a drought. Of course if you get a drought every 30 or 40 years (last significant was in the mid 1970's there can be a shortened rainy season but for the most part it's VERY wet from about November to April. I lived from Carmel to SF and we got lots and lots of winter rain and not nearly as much as northern CA. (SF is more just a bit north of the center of the state).

Concerning MN I agree with an earlier post about friends from kindergarten. Nothing wrong with that but I find this state a bit too provincial. Once heard Minnesotans compared to homing pigeons, if they ever leave they always come back. Not unusual to meet people who live within a few miles of their childhood homes.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
I moved back into my childhood home after being gone for about 10 years. The people living there found me under the basement stairs and threatened to call the cops if I didn't leave and take my cats with me.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:52 PM

12,848 posts, read 871,958 times
Looks like you all are talking only to each other, since the OP opened this thread on
October 1 and hasn't been back in 15 days. Heck, she only has this 1 post on c-d.
Kind of rude.

Last edited by rainydayparis; 10-16-2015 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota