Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,774 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband just got a job in Eden Prairie and we will be relocating to Minnesota just after the 4th of July, so I would greatly appreciate any help/advice we could get regarding neighborhoods to move to.

We are a couple in our early thirties, sans kids, who have a love for the outdoors, as well as the city life and all the cultural, culinary things it has to offer. We will be renting to start off, so that we can get a better idea of our surroundings and ideally we would prefer to stay relatively close to Eden Prairie but also not too far from Minneapolis. We currently have one car, so living close to public transportation would be a plus, but is not essential. I love the idea of being able to walk around the neighborhood, and peruse the various shops/restaurants/breweries etc.

I've had a look into Eden Prairie, Hopkins, St Louis Park, Edina, Minnetonka, Bloomington, Shakopee and Chanhassen. What are these areas like? Are there any other areas that you would recommend, not on my list? What is the traffic like during rush hour?

Any other information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM

145 posts, read 325,287 times
Eden Prairie and especially Edina both have kind of a cake-eater reputation, with EP being new money and Edina being old money. But if you can afford them they're very nice places to live.

Some of Bloomington I'd be leery of, I live at 98th and Lyndale and I wouldn't want to much farther north and east of there.

Hopkins and parts of Shakopee have a small town feel. St Louis Park is an inner ring suburb with a large Jewish community. Minnetonka and Chan are typical outer ring suburbs, Minnetonka has a woodsy feel to a lot of areas.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 PM

Thank you for the information @mdcastle!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
Eden Prairie and especially Edina both have kind of a cake-eater reputation, with EP being new money and Edina being old money. But if you can afford them they're very nice places to live.

Some of Bloomington I'd be leery of, I live at 98th and Lyndale and I wouldn't want to much farther north and east of there.

Hopkins and parts of Shakopee have a small town feel. St Louis Park is an inner ring suburb with a large Jewish community. Minnetonka and Chan are typical outer ring suburbs, Minnetonka has a woodsy feel to a lot of areas.
I would look into bus options for the cities you listed because some cities have their own designated bus for business type folk or whoever goes into the city. For instance we live in a burb and my husband takes the bus to work everyday. It's much quicker than any other mode of transportation because buses here can drive on the shoulder which saves a ton of time and only $74 dollars a month/tax free. I'm not sure how the city bus works in some of the more inner ring burbs but it will definitely take longer minimally.

As for outdoors, You'll find trails and woods and lakes kind of everywhere but Eden prairie would probably be best for that. However without kids your might feel out of place there and be happier In St. Louis park, Hopkins or Bloomington.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Thank you so much, Minntoaz! Really good to know about each areas specific bus routes/services.
I reckon, we'll make a list of a few potential apartments in the areas recommended, and
then once we arrive, we can get a feel of the areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota