Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 PM

42 posts, read 146,839 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to get some input, and thanks in advance:
I wanted to plan a vacation this summer for the kids and us, to get away and spend a week or two in peace and quiet..Is there anyplace non-touristy that has a lot of farmland, where we might be able to rent a house or cabin or something like that? someplace with a creek for fishing, that kind of thing. We just really need to get away and I didn't want touristy. We are in PA, I know nothing about Minnesota but since we've never been, I thought it would be nice to go somewhere new. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
There are a LOT of small resorts in central and northern MN that would give you want you want. Many have under 20 cabins for rent and can seem very secluded. You would have a lake, woods for hiking, etc. Going into some of the surrounding towns could seem touristy but for the most part you would find yourself in the middle of nowhere.

Here is a list that you can link to individual websites:

Minnesota Resorts, Resort Guide - Brainerd Lakes Vacation Land - central MN. Minnesota premier vacation resorts. Central Minnesota. Make your vacation plans with this information on the Best of Minnesota resorts. Brainerd

Some are very small, family owned places are some are 4 star, upscale golf resorts and then everything in between.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
"We just really need to get away and I didn't want touristy."

Here is an Adventure you'll remember for a lifetime

Houseboats - Crane Lake - Minnesota Resort Houseboat Vacations & Rentals MN

Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
I have had good luck renting a private cabin from an owner. Twice I have done that (found them in the MPLS Sunday Tribune) and they actually were chaeper than most resorts.

They are fully furnished and usually a row boat goes with it.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
I would highly recommend the Park Rapids MN. area from your description.
The area is remote and quietness can easily be found at anyone of the many secluded resort type places that there is offered. The area is also known for its fishing lakes and like I said there are many off the beaten track resorts to choose from.
You will just have to do your homework and choose the one you like.
There are many attractions of this part of the state also nearby is one of the most famous State Parks of all time in my opionion. Itasca State Park is certainly one of the best and most to do activity wise as this is the headwaters of the Mississippi River.
Itasca State Park is getting into the tourist thing you mentioned but I feel its what/where you need to go by what you said.
Some of the other things to do here is see the worlds tallest and biggest red and white pine tree. An ancient bison kill site used by early inhabitants. Native Americans burial mounds, an pioneer cemetery hiking trails bikes to ride a huge lodge, and old logging artifacts and education.
I hope that even if you decide to not vistit the area, that you will enjoy whats offered in the State of Minnesota.
Thanks

Last edited by demtion35; 03-02-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 03-03-2008, 12:23 PM

82 posts, read 365,246 times
I agree with the houseboat idea. Or Lake Kabetogama. As far as farmland, I can't think of anywhere that will offer farmland right where you are staying, but you can find it with a short drive. The Brainerd/Cross Lake area has it, but it is very touristy. Snobby touristy. Lots of very wealthy people looking for golf and fishing, snotty, entitled kids, not what a Minnesota vacation should be. The more northern, remote area resorts are more family oriented families who want their kids experience something different. I am really only familiar with Kabetogama, but on that lake, there are some very rustic places with few ammenties, and some that are very nice, and some more middle of the road. But a houseboat either on Crane or Rainy Lake would be really fun for a family.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:50 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,844 times
You could also look around the Fergus Falls, Battle Lake area for some smaller lake resorts that are very laid back and relaxing. We used to go to that area every summer with our kids when they were in elementary school; back then the biggest tourism attraction was a flee market and the turtle races one day a week on the main street of Battle Lake. The kids learned how to fish both from a pontoon boat we could rent from the small family resort and also from the shoreline; we could walk to a small cemetery and learned the history of the area, and had bonfires several evenings while there (enjoying SomeMores and burning the marshmallows every time). Even when it rained there it was peaceful because we watched the rain (no TVs or other electronic devices) and played board games.

Those weeks spent at the small family resorts are our families' fondest memories from those times.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,868 times
If you REALLY want peace and quiet (as well as a bit of adventure!), I might recommend the Northwest Angle.

Yes, that's the little "chimney" part of Minnesota that sticks up into Canada and makes MN the most northerly of the lower 48 sates. In fact, the only way to GET there (other than boat or plane) is to drive through a small part of Manitoba. It's kind of like a mini "going to Alaska" trip.

There are a handful of small fishing resorts up there, a few of which you HAVE to get to by water because they're on islands in Lake of the Woods. Here's a link to get you started: North West Angle Chamber Of Commerce :: Lake of the Woods Northwest Angle Minnesota . Here's another link to a wiki article if you're interested in general info on the area: Northwest Angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember, you said you didn't want touristy. This place is definitely OFF the beaten path...no Starbucks, no fast food, no "nothing" other than woods and water (but they DO have the last operational one-room schoolhouse in Minnesota!) Not much in the way of farmland, I'm afraid...but I'm sure you'll see your fill of farms on the drive up.

Just a thought

Last edited by MidniteBreeze; 03-07-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,502 times
Hi,check out Craig's list for Minneapolis-St Paul area and then hit vacation rental homes and you will see a list of private lake home rentals. We have a few very nice lakehome rentals here in Fergus Falls

Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 PM

10 posts, read 26,461 times
Hm, that sounds interesting. Thanks for your tip, FF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota