Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
"The commute to downtown" could be just a commute to Louisiana Avenue where there's a park and ride lot. Then you get on a bus to downtown, and the buses get favoritism in rush hour traffic. And the express buses, among the normal ones, are the cushiest in the system. If I lived in Minnetonka, that'd be all the farther I would ever drive.

Oops, spoke too soon. Minnetonka itself has a bunch of lots. No need to drive as far as Louisiana.
Park & Ride Lots - Metro Transit
...or if you are not into riding the bus you could just get a MnPass and bypass all of the traffic in your own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
But then get out all your money to hand over to the parking lot attendant! Once you get down there, no one gets out with any money left!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM

24 posts, read 50,978 times
We've been looking at Stratford Woods apartments to stay in for the first 6 months, while we're looking around for something to buy. Assigned elementary schools are Scenic Heights and I think Deephaven Elementary which both seem like good schools. A good school for a kids is a main priority but then we would seem to be located fairly south of everything else like; shops, gyms, closer commute to downtown, etc. Would somewhere further north be better? or is where we are looking to enrol our kids a good place to buy?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I agree with other posters that believe you win either way - I think I would go with Minnetonka - though the commute on 394 would likely be worse for working downtown. I would not count out SLP - depending on the amount of bedrooms and condition of home - there are homes in your price range even in the nicer SLP areas.
We have looked at houses in SLP a lot on Zillow. We love the location but does not have enough greenery for us, a bit too much like a concrete jungle.
In our price range we will get no backyard, hell we'll be lucky enough to have a driveway
Being surrounded by nature, having big trees in our garden that our kids can climb and explore is important, and from what we have seen, SLP can't offer us that.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Yeh, I think SLP is too developed. Not that it is a bad place to live. But Minnetonka or out that way will mean more nature.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Minnetonka is definitely the more expensive area but I would pick there, mostly because I worked in Eagan for 10 years and saw quite enough of it.

Silly question perhaps but what about Wayzata or Chaska?
Actually, we have just started looking there as well. Thought we were looking in North Minnetonka, then realised it was Wayzata. Looks like a beautiful area.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 AM

What are housing prices? I always imagine they are way up there.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
What are housing prices? I always imagine they are way up there.
Expensive! but have very large sections and beautiful wooded areas. Ahhhhhh!!! might have to buy a lotto ticket

Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 PM

There ya go. ANOTHER reason to win the Powerball!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
I would go with Eagan. Both are nice cities but Eagan is more centralized and is an easier commute to Saint Paul and Minneapolis. I grew up and currently live in St. Paul, and if I ever decide to move to the suburbs I would pick Eagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota