Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times

Advertisements

The Right has complained about the income tax since I got here in the 1960's. One product of that was the imposition of the original sales tax in the 1960's. Since then it has just crept up and crept up. No one ever says "it will drive off the job creators", at least not until Mark Dayton proposed extending it to professional services. Finally the upper crust saw themselves in the crosshairs and weren't going to take it passively like the poor always have. Who would really cry if all sales taxes were repealed and all the money collected by a progresive income tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,673,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Who would really cry if all sales taxes were repealed and all the money collected by a progresive income tax?
The same people who cried bloody murder over the B2B tax proposal. That is, the almighty, uber-holy Chamber of Commerce. Somehow a non-human entity gets a vote. I haven't figured out yet how that works.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times
Went to another co-op today, bought the same exact bar as I bought in Minneapolis. And it was taxed. First case of consistency. Both co-ops had the same code, evidently for this brand of food bar. Beyond that, things are just unpredictable. I have to ASSUME certain foods are taxable and select where I buy them based on the tax laid upon all taxable items in that city. In other words, it is all trial and error. I do think Minnesota's ridiculous system does encourage inconsistency and human error. I can see cany and sugary pop. But beyond that, food should not be taxed at all. It is aimed straight at the poorest consumers. Property tax relief which goes predominantly to people who can afford houses should not be financed by taxing necessities bought by people who can't afford houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota