Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:26 PM

9 posts, read 44,650 times

Advertisements

Rochester is a great place to live and work. If I were buying a house and staying here for the long term, I would look at many of the surrounding areas to live and raise my family. I currently rent a townhouse for about 700 bucks with a garage. Not bad, really. There are tons of outdoor acitivities to do year round in the area, lots of great trails and parks and whatnot.

As far as nursing salaries go, you are looking more toward the 60K if just starting out, with some experience, I would imagine more. "Mother Mayo" as some have put it, does do a lot of moving and shaking in the town, but honestly Rochester would be very very small if Mayo weren't here. In fact, it may not have recovered from the Tornados that brought the Mayo Clinic into existence. Mayo employs somewhere around 30,000 people in the area...the jobs aren't simply doctors, nurses and janitors. If you have a skill, trade, or training in some area, chances are that Mayo has an area for you to work in. They have everything from janitors, to television production to precision machine shop guys. Possibilities are endless.

Plenty of houses on the market as of right now. The area is stabile as far as housing goes, we haven't seen the dive in pricing like some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 09:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,929,613 times
I have been to Rochester in 2001 and found it to be a very neat city. I like the trees and the city seemed like it had a great deal to offer for a city of 85000 to 90000 peeople. I can remember US 52. Has US 52 been modernized or improved since 2001?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 PM

5 posts, read 14,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I have been to Rochester in 2001 and found it to be a very neat city. I like the trees and the city seemed like it had a great deal to offer for a city of 85000 to 90000 peeople. I can remember US 52. Has US 52 been modernized or improved since 2001?
Yep! 52 finished it's construction a while ago and is now quite nice.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 29,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Herman View Post
There is no terrible area of town, but SE has the most crime reports.
True statement, there is a rochester crime website with an article describing the number of crimes in each quadrant of the city that you can check out.

I've lived and worked in Rochester all my life, and actually just moved to Byron (8 miles west) and definitely recommend this area to anyone, as long as you can take the cold

Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
SE has a bad reputation because there are a few pockets that are not the best. However, after living in the NW side of town for 7 years my family and I built a house on the SE side of town in a neighborhood off of Pinewood Road. We love it so much because we have huge old oak trees and feel like we are out in the country even though we are 8 minutes from downtown. Our lot was a steal compared to what a similar lot would have sold for in the prestigious SW side of town. There are some bad areas of NW rochester. That seems to be where recent shootings/murders lately have taken place. The schools are all good in Rochester and if you get into a choice school (lincoln, Montessori at Franklin, Washington, or longfellow) it wouldn't matter if you moved to another area of town because they bus from all areas. The lottery for choice schools is Jan 12.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 628 times
Hello, I was living in Rochester, MN for 6 years and it is a great place to live, our son was 10 years old when we moved there and now he is 22 and ready to start medical school. The public school in Rochester are great. We have a house for sale in Rochester, very good neirborhood, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, four season room, backyard, closed to elementary and middle school. The price is $52.900, let me know if you are interested or have any other questions,
Best regards,
Niurka

Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,240,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Herman View Post
You will not find a better time to buy and anybody that is renting.........should be buying. Prices are down and interest rates are ridiculously low. That will not last forever and we'll all be looking back at this and asking "why didn't we buy?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
There will not be a better time to buy? Hilarious.
Multiple years later, prices and interest rates are even lower. I doubt many people are looking back at 2007 and asking "why didn't we buy?". LOL Realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota