Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Love the heat! Makes use lots of money! LMPs for power hit 2250.oo per mw today. We've been running diesel all week and have burned over 100,000 gallons and who knows how much NG....... Don't even ask about your wind towers..they are DIW.......
just for that, I'm going to raise the temp of my refrigerator from 35 to 36 (for a couple hours anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
State Fair is next month and then 7 months of winter immediately follows.
Yep. The minute the fair gates close ... *whump*!!! Snow!! Make sure you dodge!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:17 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our electric company has been stingy about cycling our AC on the energy saver plan. I was about ready to call them to tell them to come take it out. It's been over 80 in our house all week. Sorry, that's just too warm for me It's not worth the $12/month we save.
I havent heard of such a plan.....does this plan not allow the a/c to run at certain times. Our house gets lots of sun all day as we are in a new development and when we set it at 73 it runs almost non-stop from 9 am til sunset on the hot days. It keeps the house temp around 74 or so, but in our babies room which gets the least air flow (due to being farthest away from the main air source located in the basement) it stays very warm (76-77) til early evening.

We fortunately havent been as warm as down your way....we were almost 90 one day last week.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I havent heard of such a plan.....does this plan not allow the a/c to run at certain times. Our house gets lots of sun all day as we are in a new development and when we set it at 73 it runs almost non-stop from 9 am til sunset on the hot days. It keeps the house temp around 74 or so, but in our babies room which gets the least air flow (due to being farthest away from the main air source located in the basement) it stays very warm (76-77) til early evening.

We fortunately havent been as warm as down your way....we were almost 90 one day last week.
It is some sort of meter that is connected to the AC. When electric usage is high the electric "runs" the AC. The company website says they cycle every 15 minutes except during the highest usage times they may "miss" cycles-which is what was happening this past week. It was 80-84 degrees in our house all this week, miserable. Now that the temps have cooled off it is back to normal again but last night was cool enough that we were able to open windows and let the outside air cool things off.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is some sort of meter that is connected to the AC. When electric usage is high the electric "runs" the AC. The company website says they cycle every 15 minutes except during the highest usage times they may "miss" cycles-which is what was happening this past week. It was 80-84 degrees in our house all this week, miserable. Now that the temps have cooled off it is back to normal again but last night was cool enough that we were able to open windows and let the outside air cool things off.
Ok thanks for that explanation. I hadnt heard of that before. 80-84 is a bit much to take in the house.
yuck.

Glad it is cooling off and back to near normal for a while.

Dan

Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,862 times
I keep my thermostat at 80F during the summer and get along just fine. Most days I actually turn it off unless it gets above 90 or so. I supppose growing up in Missouri with no AC made me used to it that way. I just call it summer and get on with life.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I keep my thermostat at 80F during the summer and get along just fine. Most days I actually turn it off unless it gets above 90 or so. I supppose growing up in Missouri with no AC made me used to it that way. I just call it summer and get on with life.
Boy you are one hearty person. I too grew up in the south....western Kentucky....and lived a number of years in Springfield Missouri as well, but hated the heat and do not tolerate it well. Cold I tolerate and can easily stand to keep thermostat at 63-64 in the winter (if I lived alone). But in summer 74 is about the highest I can keep it. Plus too our house gets sun all the time as trees around our area (being once open farmland) not big enough to yield much shade. At least you get to save money .... Looks like the heat will try to return next weekend though may not as fierce. I am just glad the daylight is getting shorter now

Dan

Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I didn't used to run mine at all until I met my wife. My 1BR apartment had a ceiling fan in the "dining room", so I put my computer desk under that, and I was good. We didn't have A/C in Minnetonka when I was growing up, either. Fans.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I didn't used to run mine at all until I met my wife. My 1BR apartment had a ceiling fan in the "dining room", so I put my computer desk under that, and I was good. We didn't have A/C in Minnetonka when I was growing up, either. Fans.
Growing up in Kentucky....our house had single unit window A/C units....one for each of the two bedrooms and one larger one for the kitchen/dining. Boy I had mine on in my room so much it would ice over Love sleeping with those blankets in any time of weather.

Being in the weather field all my life, it is great to see how different people feel in different weather conditions. Why it is often hard for me to answer people on the North Dakota forum about how cold the winter's are. It so depends on what you perceive as cold. Some have very low thresholds some higher.

Back to weather...I do hope the farmers in southern Minnesota get some more rain for their crops. Up here in the valley crops so far are way way ahead of schedule growth wise and generally ok, though showing some signs of stress due to dry weather. But so far so good....harvest will likely be a record early one....

Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
I grew up in a 180 year old house, no AC, HATED it. It was impossible to sleep most nights because it just never cooled down. We had a window unit in the living room that only got turned on during the hottest days and my parents had one in their bedroom that they used most every night in the summer. Us kids just had to suffer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota