Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 PM

15 posts, read 37,880 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I will be moving to Minneapolis this summer and will be working in the Hennepin County medical center. I dont know much about Minneapolis, but I am excited to move there as there is lot of outdoor things to do there which I am interested in. But what I need help is for looking a apartment in there. I dont want to live very far off from the medical center as my work hours will be rigorous so any place that is near by the medical center and has lots of good places to hang out(pubs,restaurants etc.) and at the same time is safe and has at least OK neighborhood. I know the medical center is in downtown but have also heard the downtown of Minneapolis is one of the safest and good places to live in. But the apartments there are quite expensive. My budget is not too much max I want to go till 800 per month for a 1BHK. so please if all of you can help me find some good place it will be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Loring Park (on the south side of downtown) has some 1 BRs in your price range; there are a bunch of more expensive modern apartment towers in that area, too, as well as some upscale older buildings, but there are definitely some nice but more affordable historic buildings, too. It's a nice neighborhood, conveniently located, has excellent public transportation, and lots of nearby food and drink options.

Will you have a car? Parking is really tight in Loring Park (and in most, if not all, of the other downtown neighborhoods) and many of the buildings only offer paid parking, so if you'll have a car with you should either factor the cost of a parking spot into your budget or be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for spots.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,858 times
Just going to bed and real tired at the moment so I can't go in a lot of detail and I may ramble a bit. Look northeast across the river, or east out towards the area around the U of M, or south down to around 26th & Nicollet and surrounding. West will be too expensive (lakes area). Cross reference with crime maps (google Minneapols crime map) to find areas that fit your comfort level (none of these areas are too bad but south Minneapolis used to be kinda bad and still has spots). Go to Google Maps and type in the kind of amenities and shops/restaurants you'd like to frequent. Someone's going to mention uptown or lyn-lake (Lyndale & Lake) which might be OK but a bit further out and may face traffic issues. Speaking of traffic check out mndot, or access live traffic via a tv station website during rush hour and get a feel for the choke points (*cough* 94 *cough* 394). Someone else will mention Hopkins or St Louis Park whereupon you gently remind them you have to be ready to provide urgent medical care within half an hour of the page regardless of weather or traffic, thankyou very much. Camden might also be doable but there are closer areas that fit your needs and it might be too sleepy for your lifestyle. Light rail stops at/close to HCMC so that's an option as well, but if you rent near light rail make sure the amenities you like are close by - where I live there are parks everywhere but I can forget about organic or anything but comfort food at the local restaurants.

It kinda depends as well on what lifestyle you're looking for. Do you want to live close to trendy bars and restaurants or someplace where the barkeep is 55 and waves at his friends from the VFW hall as he sweeps the sidewalk on a lazy Saturday morning?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 AM

@uptown _urbanist , I heard about Loring PArk and was looking for apartments there but couldnot find any good ones in there. I mean the good ones look too expensive the other ones are very old apartments so dont know they are good enough to live.... Do you know of any good options there....? And yes I am planning to buy a car for myself so will be looking for a place to park also. But I can afford if the parking is around 50$ per month...

@ Haver that looks like a good summary of the whole Minneapolis, but I am still bit confused as most of the area you mentioned where I dont have to live. I want to live near a place with trendy bars and restaurants to have a happening life instead of boring slow life... So looking for such a place and I think that place has to be somewhere near downtown or uptown area, but where exactly should I look is a question ????

Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,779 times
Here is the crime stats page on the City of Minneapolis' Website.

Crime Statistics and Reports

Look at the areas you're interested and see what kinda of crime happen there.

Minneapolis is a fantastic city!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,858 times
I can only point to neighborhoods, I don't know the rental situation. The arc from St Anthony to the U and somewhat north up to Como is one trendy area and I think it may still be somewhat reasonably priced in spots. Warehouse District and Uptown you already know about but those will be somewhat pricey. Cedar Riverside and the areas in South Minneapolis bounded by 26th, Lake, Nicollet, & Hiawatha are less neon-chrome trendy and more interesting ethnic shops & restaurants - and affordable. Lyn-Lake is semi-gentrified and getting a tad expensive.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I'm biased in favor of older apartments (give me an older apartment any day over most modern ones; the older ones were built to last, usually have very solid walls, good soundproofing, built in woodwork, etc.), so I suppose you shouldn't take my word on any of the Loring Park rentals. But while I haven't rented there myself, many of those older ones are perfectly nice, although at your price range they're not going to have bells and whistles like dish washers, etc. In any case, if you've never lived in an older apartment I wouldn't give up yet without at least touring one: you might discover that you like them better than you think. I'm sorry I don't have specific names for you, though. Well, here's one that's not in Loring Park, but could be of interest: Fair Oaks Apartment in the Whittier neighborhood. Welcome to Fair Oaks Apartments It's directly across the street from the Minneapolis Institute of Art, they're older but from everything I've heard (don't have personal experience, as they don't, or at least didn't, take pets) the management is good. It's very close to downtown but also convenient to Uptown. And the "Eat Street" part of Nicollet is filled with restaurants and bars.

If you do prefer the more core Uptown area there are some one bedrooms in your price range, too; my brother rents a 1-BR in a great location just a couple blocks from the lake for just under $700.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
I second the suggestion of Uptown - it is a REALLY awesome neighborhood. If I was into urban living (I'm not) I would totally live there. It's safe, and there's plenty to do - restaurants, pubs, theaters, etc.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM

664 posts, read 1,947,032 times
Have you thought about renting a room in a house, or sharing an apt with others to keep your costs down.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM

I know about uptown area but thats too far off from the place I will be working in downtown and I dont want to travel a lot in the initial days of my work because it will be very hectic... So want a place close by to downtown or in downtown....

@10,000 Lakes , no I dont want to share an apartment and want the whole place for me. sorry for have sp many demands but it is what is very important to me.

@ urbanist. I dont have anythign against the old houses just that not heard good reviews about them as they require a good staff to maintain them and finding good administrative staff is the biggest problem... Another problem will be that when moving to Minneapolis I will probably book an apartment online only and will directly move into that, because I dont know anyone in MInneapolis and I have heard that the apartment people take around 1 week time to do your credit check and all... So i will have no place to stay during that time... So i am being cautious too much...
Although the partment you have suggested looks good and will check more in detail about it ... any other suggestions from Loring park would be great....

@ haver , I really appreciate all the areas that you have mentioned but I didnt find many apartments around U and Riverside area.... and other areas too .... So that seems to be problem..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul